An open letter to Canadians planning a cruise

MollyFlyer

But unfortunately, all they do is tell you what they think the weather is going to do. I want a site that actually tells you what it's going to do - it's a different thing. :)

I'd like a site that tells me with certainty what the winning lottery numbers will be. Unfortunately it doesn't exist, for the lottery or the weather. The weather is easier to accurately predict though. :)

Even when you know the forecast, sometimes it is difficult -- when you are in a completely different climate -- to "actualize" what that temperature will feel like and to dress appropriately.

For example -- coming from the South, I always look at the weather forecasts before any travel to the NE in the winter and try to pack appropriately. But still, it is often colder in actuality than I "mentally" thought it would be when I get there. (Even with snow boots, long underwear, wool clothing.....) Partially that's because we simply don't experience temperatures in the teens here very often, or if we do, it's only for a few minutes near dawn, after which it warms up substantially. :D

That's what I interpreted the OP's post to say.

I'd like a site that tells me with certainty what the winning lottery numbers will be. Unfortunately it doesn't exist, for the lottery or the weather. The weather is easier to accurately predict though. :)

But as you say, easier in some places than in others. For example, on Sunday, Philadelphia cancelled their Monday night baseball game because it was going to rain, and rearranged it for Tuesday when it will be expected to be dry. But you couldn't possibly do that in England. because it isn't possible to reliably forecast when rain will arrive.

But back to packing, especially for Canadians. We don't know where the OP was cruising to or from, or even when.

I mostly cruise to the Caribbean during our horrible winter. To even get to the airplane, I have to step into winter before I get into the taxi and again when I get home, so I layer. A t-shirt, under a hoodie, under a waterproof jacket. Sneakers with socks inside. Jeans. Gloves.

That's all the warm stuff I bring - just what I'm wearing. And it has sometimes come in handy. Because every now and then in the Caribbean, in winter, the temps fall below shirtsleeve weather, the rain pelts down and the wind kicks up. My Canuck departure layered clothing works great for these unexpected weather events.

Otherwise, however, I pack shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits and breezy dress clothing. No point wearing the heavy artillery unless I have to!

But back to packing, especially for Canadians. We don't know where the OP was cruising to or from, or even when...

We actually do; I mentioned it in my post #11. I looked up her previous posts and got the info from them. :) She is well on her cruise now, hopefully having a great time, and probably sporting some fabulous new clothes. :D