Jellyfish

premier cruiser

We are going on RCL's western caribbean cruise in October. It seems to me that somewhere in all the threads a while back I read something about jellyfish stings on either Labadee or Jamaica. Can anyone tell me if these jellyfish are a problem at either of these beach locations. I have a cabana rented on Labadee and don't want to be afraid to go into the water.

Also, do the beaches on these stops have nice sand beaches or are they rocky.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Can't tell you about jellyfish reports. We were on Labadee a year ago September and had a great time. No jellyfish at all. We had a cabana on Nellie's Beach and the sand was like powdered sugar. The incline into the water was a gentle slope. We were there during low tide and there a was a lot of beach space. I have seen pictures of high tide and the cabana are much closer to the water.

Jellyfish are really dependant upon the tides....sometimes, you'll have them, other time, you won't!

Some of the shore areas are rocky.....but the "beach" areas are fairly sandy....we've never needed water shoes for going in the water.

I spent almost my whole day floating in the water at Labadee in October 2012 (such a long time ago, it's been too long! LOL). We were on Barefoot Beach, and had a cabana. Nice soft sand on the beach, and there are a few pebbles and shells as you enter the water. The water was the perfect temperature, and I didn't see any jellyfish. I have photos and a description starting here (scroll down and start at post #329): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1722941&page=17

• 2 weeks later...

We had a cabana with ladder into water at Nellies...calm water, no jelly fish but there were clusters of spiny urchins at the base of the ladder

managed to carefully avoid them and stayed mostly on the floaty mat....