Options for Luggage Storage in Manhatten

LeDemonBlond

Thinking of Taking a Cruise (NCL Breakaway) from New York in May. I believe it cruises from the Manhatten terminal.

Were thinking we would leave for home the same day that the ship arrives back in New York. I think the ship gets in around 7-8 am but our flight from Newark would be at 8 pm.

We don't want to spend that time hanging out at the airport. What options have people used to store luggage for a few hours in New York?

Thanks for responding. Definetely reading some mixed messages about using them but its certainly a possibility.

I also read where one could possibly use Penn Station ( I think near an Amtrak Office) if they have a train ticket.

We would not have an Amtrak ticket but we would have a ticket for the train to get to the Newark. I have read where people state that you should be able to leave your luggage at Penn Station using a ticket bound for the Newark Airport but has any one actually has done it before.

Thanks

I was just looking for information on this same topic earlier today. I cam across Short Term Stow. It seems to have good reviews and be a good option.

And a number of those "good reviews" mention this facility is on the 3rd floor in a building with no elevator. Not exactly what I'd be looking for when I have luggage from a cruise to store.

And a number of those "good reviews" mention this facility is on the 3rd floor in a building with no elevator. Not exactly what I'd be looking for when I have luggage from a cruise to store.

Carrying your luggage up three flights of stairs is much better than dragging it around NYC all day or being stuck sitting at the airport considering there aren't many options in NYC for luggage storage these days.

Carrying your luggage up three flights of stairs is much better than dragging it around NYC all day or being stuck sitting at the airport considering there aren't many options in NYC for luggage storage these days.

The point is there are other options that don't require walking up to the third floor with your luggage, such as Schwartz Travel, and if you're taking a train, the storage facility in Penn Station. They're in the same general neighborhood as the walk-up place.

Edited by njhorseman

I also read where one could possibly use Penn Station ( I think near an Amtrak Office) if they have a train ticket.

We would not have an Amtrak ticket but we would have a ticket for the train to get to the Newark. I have read where people state that you should be able to leave your luggage at Penn Station using a ticket bound for the Newark Airport but has any one actually has done it before.

Thanks

As far as I know, the luggage storage facility at Penn Station is operated by Amtrak, and is for ticketed Amtrak passengers only. I doubt that they would permit you to store your luggage there if you only have a New Jersey Transit ticket.

I may be wrong--but I don't think so.

Ask on the NCL boards. I don't know if NCL offers this for NYC cruises, but X" offered "easy check" on our cruise out of Fla this past Feb. You do ALL your check in on the ship, get your boarding and luggage tags on the ship, put your luggage outside your cabin the night before arrival and you don't see or touch it until it's on the carousel at your home arrival airport. You can walk of the ship (and all around NYC) carrying very little. You won't have to deal with handling your luggage when you get off the ship, bringing it to a place to store it and depending on where you end up at the end of the day, you don't have to back to that place to get it. When you're ready to leave and go to the airport, when you get there just go directly to your departure gate.

Edited by marco

Please check the East Coast Board for the advisories about Newark Airport and Cape Liberty. There is no Airtrain service at the airport May 1 to about July 15 which means there is no train service to Newark Airport Station. You would have to go to Newark Penn Station and take a shuttle bus. If you are traveling in this time frame I would look at the airport bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal. Re: Schwartz Travel. We recommend it all the time and I haven't seen any complaints about the luggage storage service they offer. It is well located between Port Authority and NY Penn Station.

Thank you for the heads up concerning the airtrain! Most likely we will use Schwartz. I will see if we can check in with the airline on board so ncl handles the baggage straight to the airline. But on other cruise lines we have cruised with, this service was only available if you were an American citizen. Thanks for everyone's I put!

Edited by BobbyOrr

Thank you for the heads up concerning the airtrain! Most likely we will use Schwartz. I will see if we can check in with the airline on board so ncl handles the baggage straight to the airline. But on other cruise lines we have cruised with, this service was only available if you were an American citizen. Thanks for everyone's I put!

NCL doesn't offer the "BAGS" program in NY and even in cities where "BAGS" is offered it's only available for domestic flights. (Presumably you're heading back to Canada.)

Edited by njhorseman

Regarding above post. Maybe it depends on the # of applicable passengers who could avail themselves to such service, but in Feb when returning to FLL from a Caribbean cruise, (not on NCL) one of the airlines included in 'easy check" was British Air with flights out of Miami. I can't imagine British Air would be flying US domestic. Hopefully in the future, more lines will offer this service at more ports. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, especially if you have a late in the day flight and do not want to go directly to the airport.

Edited by marco

Regarding above post. Maybe it depends on the # of applicable passengers who could avail themselves to such service, but in Feb when returning to FLL from a Caribbean cruise, (not on NCL) one of the airlines included in 'easy check" was British Air with flights out of Miami. I can't imagine British Air would be flying US domestic. Hopefully in the future, more lines will offer this service at more ports. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, especially if you have a late in the day flight and do not want to go directly to the airport.

NCL's rules for its BAGS program have always restricted it to domestic flights AFAIK.

Other cruise lines/participating airlines may have their own rules that are totally different from NCL's and their participating airlines.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would give an update. Asked our hotel we stayed at before the cruise but they don't do that. On the day our ship came in, we did take a cab to Schwartz luggage storage. I gave the address to cab driver and also told him it was next to the double tree Hilton. Our cabbie dropped us off at the hotel by mistake. No big deal. When the doorman came out, we told him that we were dropping our luggage next door. He then offered to store our luggage for $8 per bag. Momentary uncertainty on my part but accepted him

on his offer. He tagged the luggage and gave us our receipt and locked the luggage. We went on our way and enjoyed our day in Chelsea and the high line. Came back later and picked up our luggage. Worked out great.