Shore Excursions on the Now All Inclusive Uniworld

whatnot

I am booked on a Uniworld cruise down the Rhine in July and my understanding is that there are still three optional tours offered. There are many included each day to choose from that are included but Castles on the Rhine still offers Marksburg Castle, Heidleberg, and the Black Forest as optional tours. As you say they are not listed in the brochures at all but my travel agent tells me that is the case. I've asked this question in several forums including Uniworlds own site and never have received a response. Maybe now that we are entering the River Cruise season we will get an answer from someone who has recently taken a cruise with them.

Since Uniworld went all inclusive, do they still have additional tours that you can opt to do at an additional cost? I did not see any listed in their latest brochure.

We are on an upcoming Douro cruise with Uniworld and the second day in Lisbon is a "do your own thing" day, but they are also offering an optional tour to Sintra - so it appears that the answer to your question is "yes".

Cole

All tours are listed on the cruise info that you download from the Uniworld website. It's no big secret. So you could say that Uniworld is "Almost All-Inclusive" or "All-Inclusive with Optional Add-ons". Either way it is not a negative if those particular excursions really deliver added value.

For new customers, it's not entirely clear what excursions are included and which are not. On page 18 of the cruise companion for my 2014 Danube Discovery & Prague trip, it states:

Each cruise/tour program includes comprehensive shore excursions led by a local English-speaking guide; these excursions have been designed to provide you with the best possible experience ashore. From time to time, we

also offer optional excursions designed to enhance the range of sightseeing already included in your cruise/tour program. These optional excursions are available for purchase when you are onboard the ship. Your Cruise Manager or local host will provide details about the reservation process at your Welcome Briefing. All tours purchased onboard are billed to your shipboard account

and can be paid when settling your final bill. Optional excursions are subject to cancellation if a minimum number of participants is not met.

In the daily itinerary listed in the cruise companion, you'll first see the "choice is yours" excursions. These are included. Optional excursions (listed at the end of the day) have a fee. There may be some days (like the Passau day in my itinerary), when you could take two included excursions because there are "choice is yours" excursions in both the morning and afternoon.

The only thing that's not 100% clear to me is when there is only one excursion on a day, and it's listed as a "featured excursion" (Deggendorf on my itinerary, for example). I sure hope this one is included.

It would appear from the replies above that Uniworld is not all-inclusive and where I come from this would be false advertising and frowned upon. You can not be a little bit pregnant and you can't be a bit all-inclusive.

It would appear from the replies above that Uniworld is not all-inclusive and where I come from this would be false advertising and frowned upon. You can not be a little bit pregnant and you can't be a bit all-inclusive.

Well then, we could also say that any "all-inclusive" cruise line that offers upgraded premium wines for purchase should also be accused of false advertising. Or how about charges for spa services on board? So then, there really aren't any true all-inclusives out there unless they do not offer any upgrades.

Well then, we could also say that any "all-inclusive" cruise line that offers upgraded premium wines for purchase should also be accused of false advertising. Or how about charges for spa services on board? So then, there really aren't any true all-inclusives out there unless they do not offer any upgrades.

I'm sorry you didn't like my post but perhaps you have not included Tauck in your thoughts. Except for laundry the price you pay for a Tauck river cruise includes everything and I mean everything. I do know what I'm saying may appear aggressive to you but it's a fact. There is nothing extra to pay on a Tauck cruise. My wife and I will be cruising with them again in August.

As for false advertising the Australian consumer laws forbid statements that are mis-leading to consumers hence statements like 2 for 1 pricing is not seen down here as claimed by Viking everywhere else and Uniworld will not be able to claim they are all-inclusive if there are "optional extras" able to be purchased on board.

As for buying premium wines as an Australian wine adventurer I can tell you that the wines served on board our Tauck boat were of the highest quality. I may not have liked them all but I did appreciate being given the opportunity to try good wines of the region. I expect no less when we next cruise through southern France.

Believe me, here in the States we feel the same way. I use Avalon and I know it is not all-inclusive:). It will be interesting to learn how the Uniworld sailings work out. Since this is the first year as "all inclusive" we should all take a "wait and see" attitude. I'm LOL right now because there is a big banner ad stating that Uniworld is a True All-Inclusive. I'm going to click it now to see what it says.

ETA: According to the website under FAQs there are optional tours which you pay for. But under "truly all inclusive" they are mentioning tips. That is not truly all inclusive. For all inclusive all tours would be paid for, and the airfare and transfers also. From what I'm seeing, the air and transfers is an option for Uniworld.

Edited by Got2Cruise

Transfers are included, whether you purchase airfare through Uniworld or not, as long as you arrive within their pre-determined timeframe.

I would never expect an all-inclusive cruise to include airfare. That's just too variable depending on your starting location.

OZjohno

Support your comments 100%, just attended a legal presentation last week, with presentations from Aussie & NZ lawyers. IN both countries all inclusive means nothing extra, no upgrades etc, just like Free offers can't have any hidden costs ( such as free trailer, but subject to conditions such as buying product, damage deposit etc) this technically illegal in Aussie and could be law in NZ by end of year

OZjohno

Support your comments 100%, just attended a legal presentation last week, with presentations from Aussie & NZ lawyers. IN both countries all inclusive means nothing extra, no upgrades etc, just like Free offers can't have any hidden costs ( such as free trailer, but subject to conditions such as buying product, damage deposit etc) this technically illegal in Aussie and could be law in NZ by end of year

From a US perspective, there is no such thing as all-inclusive. There are many threads on the ocean forums about this, as most of the luxury lines are now claiming to be all-inclusive but each of them includes/excludes different things from the others.

This may be why AMA and APT have to be kept separate. APT won't show me (from a US ISP) any dates or prices -- which I would like to see because there are many missing dates from the AMA listings that might be more convenient (and who wouldn't want to be on a primarily Aussie/Kiwi sailing?!!!). But the huge legal differences between the countries seems to prevent cross-bookings.