Scenic Oceanview...uh not so "scenic"

t1adams

I would be upset too if I paid for a scenice OV and the the bird dropping stayed on the glass the whole week. Imagine how you would feel if you sit in a car and the window is covered with bird poop. You can still drive the car safely, but it just feels disgusting watching that mess. I understand it is dangerous to send someone out there when the ship is in motion, but for Carnival not to clean it during one of the port stops is inexcusable.

Edited by PCHENG

Somebody mentioned compensation (10%) so a problem window, but that was not you, correct?

I was the one who got it. It was a long time ago and I got it the last night of the cruise. I cant be sure if it was a scenic ocean view but it was a window cabin. Also looking out it was nothing but a blur. It was so bad it was like frosted glass you would have in old bathroom windows in your home. I was not the only person on the cruise to get the 10% off our next cruise over it.

I am going to see if I can find any pictures we may have taken of it.

I am going to change my avatar because seems the stock one I have picked is popular. LOL 3 people on this thread are using it and even I am having a hard time figuring it out.

Edited by rawley2

I would be upset too if I paid for a scenice OV and the the bird dropping stayed on the glass the whole week. Imagine how you would feel if you sit in a car and the window is covered with bird poop. You can still drive the car safely, but it just feels disgusting watching that mess. I understand it is dangerous to send someone out there when the ship is in motion, but for Carnival not to clean it during one of the port stops is inexcusable.

I must be confused or its a full moon. Do you get to drive the ship from these cabins?:confused:

That is crazy and I'm not implying that. She should have gotten a cleaned up window.

These scenic view rooms are front facing slanted windows above the bridge. While there is a rail there, it is not something that gets done on a daily basis (say the glass on the balcony divider and balcony room glass). It just does not work that way. My guess is that it is feasible to at best to do once a cruise. Does it take away from the "view" sure, but it has the expectation to being able to clean ocean view windows (the outside) as well.

I am not saying it is the case here, but people can gripe about lots of things (many asking for credit, soemtimes for frivilous things). Next cruise take a seat by guest services and listen to some things (or check out John Healds blog). The end result of all of that is that it discounts the real things.

In this case I think some compensation is fair. These rooms are an upgraded oceanview room and their best feature is the view. Bird crap happens. But if it couldn't have been cleaned then I think 10% is fair. Free cruise....of course not. I have one booked on the Sunshine, and I sure hope no bird with loose bowels drops their load when passing my window. I would be so bummed:p

In this case I think some compensation is fair. These rooms are an upgraded oceanview room and their best feature is the view. Bird crap happens. But if it couldn't have been cleaned then I think 10% is fair. Free cruise....of course not. I have one booked on the Sunshine, and I sure hope no bird with loose bowels drops their load when passing my window. I would be so bummed:p

I was perhaps (over) dramtizing my case in a repsonse. I fairness to everyone, nobody suggested they should get a free cruise. Worse than it being on the window, getting hit while in open air on the deck is worse (from first hand knowledge).

Like you, I think 10% is more than fair.

You get the same view as the captain.

I have stayed in the captains suite, so I get it. My point was that he steers not somebody in the cabin. Also, his windows tilt inward, these tilt out (droppings would hit them). We can move on though......

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Would it be fair to get compensation if the windows on regular OV's are dirty? Because if that's the case, I should've been eligible for compensation on pretty much every cruise I've ever taken in an OV stateroom! I can't recall one time when they were completely clean. Not with bird poop, but all sorts of gunky junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While I was on the Breeze over Christmas we had a balcony room and around 1 or 2 in the morning heard a horrible ruckus on what I thought was on my balcony, I went outside to see and seems a bird was stuck in the grating above the neighbors balcony. The next morning I went out to see if it was gone no such luck, I went to guest services to get someone to remove the bird ( he had been there for such a long time poop was all over) They asked if there was anything else they could do and very sorry for any inconvenience. I got no discount nor did I expect any, the bird was loud at night but was no biggee I really just wanted the bird not to suffer any more. My point is they will take care of things if you ask and remember you get more with honey the with vinegar.

I was perhaps (over) dramtizing my case in a repsonse. I fairness to everyone, nobody suggested they should get a free cruise. Worse than it being on the window, getting hit while in open air on the deck is worse (from first hand knowledge).

Like you, I think 10% is more than fair.

Understood Jimbo. Isn't it said to be good luck if a bird poops on your head? lol. I think I got that one from my grandmother. ;)

Understood Jimbo. Isn't it said to be good luck if a bird poops on your head? lol. I think I got that one from my grandmother. ;)

To date (and sadlyI have had multiple occurences of this on a cruise) my experience has been....not so much (in the increased luck department).:confused:

Funny how a simple question about whom I should contact turns Into a convo with "she must want a free cruise." Heck yeah if like a free cruise! Don't we all? ;) But no honey, I don't expect a free cruise or even a discount. We've already paid for this cruise and any cruise in the future is at least a year away. What I want is for them to clean that d@^& window so that the next person that has paid a LOT more than a reg. window view (as much as a balcony, sometimes more) doesn't have to be saddened by their skewed view. THATS what I am seeking here.

And YES, I know I am blessed to live I a first world country. Totally irreverent.

Is this the worst problem I have ever had in my life? Of course not. Losing my oldest son almost five years ago at just 14 was (hence an annual family cruise now).

Thanks for the help everyone.

OP...I am so sorry for your loss. Keep enjoying your cruises, and continue to keep him in your heart.

I really appreciate the post, because I like the Scenic Oceanview cabins, and it is important to know about the cracks. My first reaction was "what in the world caused the window to crack way up there?

I posted a picture of the walkway above, but it is the angle portion of that row. As you said, yours was on the straight part.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by INCHARGE

OP...I am so sorry for your loss. Keep enjoying your cruises, and continue to keep him in your heart.

I really appreciate the post, because I like the Scenic Oceanview cabins, and it is important to know about the cracks. My first reaction was "what in the world caused the window to crack way up there?

I posted a picture of the walkway above, but it is the angle portion of that row. As you said, yours was on the straight part.

Thanks again. :)

Thank you. Yeah, I even told the room maintenance (not steward) if he'd give me a big bottle of Windex and paper towels, if go walk that platform and clean it myself! Haha. He just laughed. But I was totally serious.

Really??? A giant crack AND bird poop totally covering your window eh? Wow, that's astonishing.

Totally covering your window is a bit of an exaggeration. Still looks pretty scenic to me. It's not like you couldn't see out. :rolleyes: That being said, contact guest relations.

Edited by Fitzget

Totally covering your window is a bit of an exaggeration. Still looks pretty scenic to me. It's not like you couldn't see out. :rolleyes: That being said, contact guest relations.

You obviously didn't read my entire original post. I said "The crack totally covered the window." I said the bird poop was half across the window. But truthfully, it doesn't matter what I say because you're still going to have some sort of comment to the contrary. If you have nothing nice to say, take your pom-poms and go elsewhere.

Edited by t1adams

You obviously didn't read my entire original post. I said "The crack totally covered the window." I said the bird poop was half across the window. But truthfully, it doesn't matter what I say because you're still going to have some sort of comment to the contrary. If you have nothing nice to say, take your pom-poms and go elsewhere.

I'm not the one being rude here, nor do I carry pom poms for any cruise line. I can see being upset with the fact that it was not cleaned when asked of them, but really, to say you couldn't enjoy your view is a bit much. Anyway that being said, as I said before - contact guest relations and let them know. But I wouldn't lead off with poop ruined your view. I would let them know that your window was cracked and very dirty and had bird poop on it, and that it was never cleaned after several requests.

But if you send them those pictures, they'll probably think the same I did; the view was still beautiful.

Thank you. Yeah, I even told the room maintenance (not steward) if he'd give me a big bottle of Windex and paper towels, if go walk that platform and clean it myself! Haha. He just laughed. But I was totally serious.

I have always wondered how so many people fall off crusie ships.:eek:

Are grand scenic oceanviews available for booking online? I have never been able to get those two cabins to pull up on the ships that have them.

Yes they are available online. They sell out pretty quickly (the quickest room category to sell out is aft wraps).