RCCL - passport card

Mjmom05

Hi all!

I'm cruising next month, and I know I've read a million times that you can show just your passport card to get on the ship, but I want to make SUPER sure, because I find reasons to worry and stress out!

All I'd need to show is JUST my passport card, correct? No other form of ID?

Thanks! :)

Hi all!

I'm cruising next month, and I know I've read a million times that you can show just your passport card to get on the ship, but I want to make SUPER sure, because I find reasons to worry and stress out!

We always use our passports as it is just easier. However, closed loop US based itineraries require a birth certificate and valid picture ID (such as a drivers license) -or- a passport.

That being said, my understanding is that as a valid picture ID and a birth certificate are required to obtain and passport card, that a passport card is acceptable as that form of ID and can be used instead of the birth certificate and valid picture ID. So I believe you would be fine with just the passport card in that case.

However my understanding also is that a passport card is not valid for international air travel should you need to return to the US from a foreign port of call.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi all!

Yes, under the DHS regulations the passport card is all that you need for either a closed loop cruise or an open loop cruise. You might want to verify with RCCL what their requirements are because some cruise lines have stricter requirements than the regulations. The only thing the passport card cannot be used for is international air.

Edited by sparks1093

Yes, I double checked with RCCL and they even allow you to travel with just your BC and DL. The cruise is closed loop, too. Thanks for your help. I read all the time and research what I will need and I keep thinking what if I read it wrong or I get there and they dont let me on...etc. Worry wart at it's finest ;)

Yes, I double checked with RCCL and they even allow you to travel with just your BC and DL. The cruise is closed loop, too. Thanks for your help. I read all the time and research what I will need and I keep thinking what if I read it wrong or I get there and they dont let me on...etc. Worry wart at it's finest ;)

It's always best to perform one's due diligence. Have a great trip!