buffet dining

Thinking about going on a RCL cruise. I was wondering if they have buffet dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

I know for breakfast and lunch they do, not sure about dinner. You can also do sit down for breakfast, not sure about lunch though

Thinking about going on a RCL cruise. I was wondering if they have buffet dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Yes, it's called the Windjammer. We've eaten all our meals in the Windjammer since our 3rd cruise (not interested in dressing up for dinner or eating at a specific time every day). There's also the Park Cafe in the Solarium where you can get something to eat. We can always find something we like in the WJ! :)

Here are some youtube videos (not mine) from various RCI ships. Watch in HD.

Breakfast --

Lunch --

Dinner --

Also, MDR for lunch (usually open only on sea days) has a Tutti Salad Bar that is really good. You pick your ingredients from a buffet line, then a chef mixed your salad for you. Plus, you can order other items (as much as you want really) from the main lunch menu.

We usually eat dinner in the MDR, but we're skipping Formal nights this time on the Indy. Dinner in the Windjammer is just fine with me....:D

Joe

I'm the opposite- I never get to dress up in my everyday life so I relish the opportunity to dress very nicely and go to a formal dinner :)

As others have indicated, yes - breakfast, lunch and dinner. We don't attend the formal nights in the MDR and are very pleased w/ the food choices in the Windjammer.

Happy sailing~

I usually don't skip Formal night, and just wear a nice pair of slacks and dress shirt. Never been turned away, or made to feel uncomfortable. Use the My Time Dining as it seems to be less formal on Formal Night. But if you decide to dine in the WJ as we on occasion will do, the food is usually very good.

Edited by Roce48

I don't want to generalize and say all cruise ships have buffet for every meal, but I think they mass market lines like RC do.

If the issue is more about flexible timing than dressing up for dinner, Royal Caribbean also offer "My Time Dining", which is the regular MDR (main dining room) menu and service, but you can show up any time.

Everybody has kind of expressed the Windjammer. We don't go in there at all. We do breakfast either at a Park Cafe, Johnnie Rockets (on Oasis or Allure), the MDR, or my personal favorite, on the balcony.

Lunch is usually MDR or Park Cafe (if available).

Dinner is either specialty restaurant or MDR.

You really don't have to dress up. We do, but that is a choice. Even on formal night many don't dress up.

The Windjammer is a "trough." You'll see unbelievable things in there. It is a good place for breakfast as the omelette bar is quite nice. Never had dinner in there, but have read good things. Lunch is ok, but I don't like the crowd (same with breakfast). To each his own as they say. But I like the MDR for dinner. Like the service, like the food, like the atmosphere.

Another point. If you have late dining, and you have Jade section in the buffet, you could go for sushi there before dinner. I'm not a sushi fan, but others with us on my past cruises did this (on the Mariner) and loved it. Buffet opened at 6pm as I recall.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We've never done windjammer for dinner. How does it compare to what is offered in the MDR? Any of the same soups, entree's and desserts?

Some are the same -- No lobster though. There is more variety in the buffet. See the youtube videos I posted earlier, especially the one for dinner.

Of course, you could always go to both the MDR and the buffet. (Burp.)

Back to the original question, I wonder if the OP was asking if there is a buffet option, or if the buffet is the only option.

The answer:

For breakfast and dinner, you have the choice of the MDR (main dining room) and the buffet.

(Actually -- not really a choice -- you can go to both if you want.)

Some ships offer more options, such as Johnny Rockets on the Oasis and Allure (no additional charge for breakfast).

For lunch, the MDR is open only on sea days usually. The buffet always serves lunch.

And some ships have Cafe Promenade, which serve pre-made sandwiches and great desserts, and some have Sorrentos (pizza).

Plus there is always room service -- no additional charge except between midnight and 5am (I think) -- but additional tipping is always recommended for this.

You won't go hungry.

The MDR is always sit down waiter service (no additional charge, and included with your standard tips). For breakfast in the MDR there is a buffet option (I usually get some fruit from this and get eggs benedict from the waiter), and for lunch in the MDR there is a Tutti Salad bar, sort of like a Mongolian Grill for salad.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We've never done windjammer for dinner. How does it compare to what is offered in the MDR? Any of the same soups, entree's and desserts?

My DH and I will be leaving for cruise #10 Apr 19th and have only ate at the MDR 1 time! GASP! We just don't really enjoy being waited on and taking 1 to 2 hours to eat a meal! We like to eat and run so Windjammer works for us! At dinner time the lights are dimmed and they usually have a meat that the MDR is also having (of course I've never seen lobster) they have sushi on a lot of the ships and plenty of desserts. Whether they are what the MDR offers I can't say as I haven't been there only the 1 time, but we have never been hungry on RCI now on Carnival my husband has been!

Thank you all very much for the information. Very useful. My Husband and I have been on 2 cruises now both with NCL. Want to expand our horizons and try a new cruise line. Our choice is RCL. We like going to dinner when we feel like it and not have to dress up.

Thank you all very much for the information. Very useful. My Husband and I have been on 2 cruises now both with NCL. Want to expand our horizons and try a new cruise line. Our choice is RCL. We like going to dinner when we feel like it and not have to dress up.

That sounds wonderful, mialily. I hope you like RCI. On our past few cruises, my husband and I have taken all of our dinners in the Windjammer buffet. It was wonderful. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed at night, a different experience than at breakfast and lunch when it can be a bit frenzied. :eek: Not sure if you have made your decision yet, but I would recommend any of the 4 Radiance-class ships as they have the outdoor aft Windjammer seating, which is phenomenal. Some of our favorite moments have been relaxing outdoors having dinner or coffee and dessert, watching the sunset, feeling the ocean breeze. It's wonderful. :)

Not that you have to use the MDR's to have a great cruise, but if you are so inclined to at least try them at your own pace, you can sign up for MyTime Dining on any RCI ship. It works somewhat similar to NCL's freestyle dining in that you can show up any time during the dinner hours in the MyTime section of the MDR. The main differences are that there are no pagers/wait time indicators on RCI, but if you so choose, you can make dinner reservations in the MDR any night if you have MyTime Dining. As for dress code, despite what some fashionistas on Cruise Critic say, the RCI dress code on formal and "smart casual" nights are just suggested attire, and are no more enforced by the staff than NCL's "dress up or not" nights.