For the crazy wine lovers

When you guys BYOB on board, what are the types of wines you guys bring?

My understanding is still unlimited bottles, 15$ corkage fee.

While some prices onboard are reasonable they still usually tack up 15% on top of what one pays at retail and even more for the lower end stuff.

Add that to the fact you're already paying alot for the cruise makes me see byob as a more favorable proposition.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, Champers seem to be the best bet as the selection is few, and the mark up is pretty high.

But, onto topic, what labels do you guys usually bring aboard?

Anybody bring some grand cru burgundies? 1st growth bordelais? some cult napa cab ? or perhaps some old guard napa names like caymus, heitz?

my byob list is going to have

a few birth year wines from the 70s

3 bottles of sparklers: Bollinger, Krug and Pol Roger most likely

a few cali chards like ZD

and a bunch of cali cabs: Larkmead, Myriad, Stefania, Conn Valley

apologies in advance for the wine geek talk!

...my byob list is going to have

We all have various tastes in wine. Some are happy with White Zin in a box.

We drink lots of Chardonnay. Some we like, some not so much. Usually bottles in the $10-$15 range are fancy stuff for us. Barefoot works just fine.

So, I would guess none of the above wines would be on our list.

We drink lots of Chardonnay. Some we like, some not so much. Usually bottles in the $10-$15 range are fancy stuff for us. Barefoot works just fine.

So, I would guess none of the above wines would be on our list.

it's more along the lines of vacation budget, i tie it in with.

but it does pain me to pay, the 40$ for a beringers white zin for example when it can be had retail for 12$. tack on the 15$ byob charge and it's still cheaper!

even on the very expensive bottles

the krug is 125$ retail but they're charging 200$ for it!!!!

For us it's a matter of having a well stocked cellar and for the price of carrying some extra weight in our luggage and paying $15 per bottle, we can enjoy something we know we will enjoy. Nothing wrong with expanding our palette but that might be best done in Napa or Santa Ynez.

This is the wine deal (package) that my crowd is really hit on.

* Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia - THIS WAS MY FAVORITE !

Use it to make comparisons for what you might lug on board

from your private wine cellar or local liquor wine merchant:

NOTE - THE $15 CORKAGE FEE IS PAID AND INCLUDED but not the Gratuity !

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

__*_ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

I too love the inexpensive BOX wines BUT sadly NCL does not permit BOX wine on board (the stuff just goes a heck of long way to destroy NCLs profit) !

2 BOXES in the mini-fridge and I would be ready to do B2B cruises most anywhere !

We're very picky about our reds, so that's usually what we bring and then buy the whites on board. Having been lucky enough to be stationed in Europe, we bring on the German Frankish bottles (the low oval ones) and some of the spanish varieties.

Sitting aside for the Star right now are some Schwarzreislings and a couple of Blauer Portugeiser.

If we ever drive to the port, I'd bring the whites too... Even buying the wine in a shop, plus the corkage fee, I'm still usually paying less for the wine than I would buying the bottle on board (even with the wine packages). But it's just too heavy for the bags when we fly - we're a bottle with dinner at night type of couple!

Happy Cruising!

B

This is the wine deal (package) that my crowd is really hit on....- THIS WAS MY FAVORITE !....NOTE - THE $15 CORKAGE FEE IS PAID AND INCLUDED but not the Gratuity !

Just a clarification. The CORKAGE FEE is not paid. That is because there is no corkage fee on bottles purchased direct from NCL. That fee is only for bottles brought aboard that are purchased elsewhere.

Yes, they mark up the bottles compared to what you would buy at home. The price is closer to a mid range restaurant at home. Still way cheaper than anything you would buy at a concert or ballpark.

Dear Don't,

Thanks so much for that VivaVino detail!! Going on first cruise in Aug (Alaska/Pearl) and have already read far too much on wine confusing the heck out of me.

I had seen the full wine list for NCL and was content with the choices/prices. I thought it was worth the little extra $ to avoid running around Seattle when we land to find wine to bring onboard. We were all set to do about 6 bottles in the Vina Vino and then buy individual drinks "as needed", but this list doesn't have a great selection of reds IMO so back to being undecided again. I really appreciate the info! I'd rather know now than standing at the desk making my selections with no option to BYOB.

Dear Don't,

Thanks so much for that VivaVino detail!! Going on first cruise in Aug (Alaska/Pearl) and have already read far too much on wine confusing the heck out of me.

I had seen the full wine list for NCL and was content with the choices/prices. I thought it was worth the little extra $ to avoid running around Seattle when we land to find wine to bring onboard. We were all set to do about 6 bottles in the Vina Vino and then buy individual drinks "as needed", but this list doesn't have a great selection of reds IMO so back to being undecided again. I really appreciate the info! I'd rather know now than standing at the desk making my selections with no option to BYOB.

It is probably different on each ship where the Viva Vino package can be

purchased - on the NCL SUN it was in the elevator atrium near Registration/

Guest Services and also on the Lido (Pool) deck.

So when you get on board just ask. The wine list I copied and pasted here

may change from time to time as well as the prices (doesn't everything always

go up?)

My crowd ate in a different place every evening and the wine followed us to

that location without a hitch.

On a multiple day trip remember to order enough to last the voyage although

running out would not be a tragedy on the last night. As I understand it the

Viva Vino package is only offered the first day/night of the voyage.

My crowd viewed what we initially ordered and went back for more realizing

that it would not be offered again.

So whatever works or floats your ship - enjoy !

I have only recently come to like red wines. A great friend suggested "You just haven't found the right wine for you yet" and he was right. I'm partial to Italian Amarone or Ripasso. None of that on NCL lists - so hitting the wine store prior to boarding. We have a day prior to boarding to hit a store. Just need to ensure we have some means of carrying on board that is not too cumbersome.

...Just need to ensure we have some means of carrying on board that is not too cumbersome.

The roll aboard/carryon that folks use on the plane all the time is just right. You can put quite a few bottles in there. Leave some shirts/PJ's etc in that bag to separate bottles. But the bottles towards the bottom of the bag and it will roll just fine.

When you guys BYOB on board, what are the types of wines you guys bring?

My understanding is still unlimited bottles, 15$ corkage fee.

While some prices onboard are reasonable they still usually tack up 15% on top of what one pays at retail and even more for the lower end stuff.

Add that to the fact you're already paying alot for the cruise makes me see byob as a more favorable proposition.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, Champers seem to be the best bet as the selection is few, and the mark up is pretty high.

But, onto topic, what labels do you guys usually bring aboard?

Anybody bring some grand cru burgundies? 1st growth bordelais? some cult napa cab ? or perhaps some old guard napa names like caymus, heitz?

my byob list is going to have

We are wine drinkers and belong to several wine tasting clubs.

frankly, if we could afford that level of wine and truly appreciate its quality, we would be cruising on more upscale, luxury cruise lines.

Don't get me wrong - we like NCL as well as other mass market lines.

Also a correction to PP incorrect information. You can buy the wine packages throughout the cruise - except the last night. They just don't set up the table. Go to any bar or ask your waiter in the dining rooms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

We use this: http://www.thewinecheck.com and will bring at least a case with us.

Definitely the big boy reds from Napa. Some favorites include Lewis (I love that someone else mentioned them already). Great stuff. Brown, Buccella, Caldwell, Switchback Ridge, Detert, Schrader, Bryant Family, B & H Erna Schein, Pride etc.

We use this: www.thewinecheck.com and will bring at least a case with us.

Definitely the big boy reds from Napa. Some favorites include Lewis (I love that someone else mentioned them already). Great stuff. Brown, Buccella, Caldwell, Switchback Ridge, Detert, Schrader, Bryant Family, B & H Erna Schein, Pride etc.

psst, when you sailing? ;-)

We are NCL newbies who just booked on the Breakaway,we have cruised on Carnival which allows 1 bottle per passenger .

I was wondering what the NCL policy is?thanks

As many as you would like to bring! You will pay a $15 per 750-ml bottle corkage fee. This allows you to enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship: dining rooms, specialty restaurants, bars AND in your cabin/balcony. No free bottles on NCL.