guide dog

guiding me

My understanding is that all service animals must be supervised at all times. You could contact the Accessibility Department at NCL directly to see if there are ever any exceptions. If not you will have to stay on board the ship if your dog is denied entry at a port.

Rochelle

A long time ago I saw a board, I believe it is under the roll call boards called disabled cruising and there was a woman on there that cruised with her guide dog all the time. She was very informative. You might try to find that board. I hope that helps.

A long time ago I saw a board, I believe it is under the roll call boards called disabled cruising and there was a woman on there that cruised with her guide dog all the time. She was very informative. You might try to find that board. I hope that helps.

Here is the disabled cruising board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thank you to all who replied to my question about guide dog in cabin. Since my post I have found this Web site http://www.doglawreporter.blogspot.ca/2010/07/cruise-lines-must-accommodate-service which in fact answers my question. As a blind lady, paragraphs 13,14 & 15 applies to me. I have contacted the cruise line and they have agreed to abide by this rule. To answer some of your questions, the country I was reffering to that does not allow dogs to enter the country is Turkey. Naturaly I would prefer to take my dog with me when going ashore as her job is to guide me around people, obstacles, up & down stairs & curbs and generaly keep me safe. She gives me a measure of independance , but in a strange place my husband ensures that we do not get lost. She does not read signs or traffic lights;;;Ha!Ha!

Thank you to all who replied to my question about guide dog in cabin. Since my post I have found this Web site http://www.doglawreporter.blogspot.ca/2010/07/cruise-lines-must-accommodate-service which in fact answers my question. As a blind lady, paragraphs 13,14 & 15 applies to me. I have contacted the cruise line and they have agreed to abide by this rule. To answer some of your questions, the country I was reffering to that does not allow dogs to enter the country is Turkey. Naturaly I would prefer to take my dog with me when going ashore as her job is to guide me around people, obstacles, up & down stairs & curbs and generaly keep me safe. She gives me a measure of independance , but in a strange place my husband ensures that we do not get lost. She does not read signs or traffic lights;;;Ha!Ha!

Well darn, that link does not exist for my Ipad. I was hoping to be better educated as to the information...

What exactly was the answer?

I was on a recent cruise with more than a dozen individuals with their leader dogs. According to the cruise director, the dogs were not permitted off the ship because they would have be subject to quarantine upon return to the US. The Entertainment staff happily entertained the dogs while we were in ports.

To answer some of your questions, the country I was reffering to that does not allow dogs to enter the country is Turkey. Naturaly I would prefer to take my dog with me when going ashore as her job is to guide me around people, obstacles, up & down stairs & curbs and generaly keep me safe.

We shared a short excursion with two service dogs (and their owner :D) in Izmir last month from the Jade. They didn't have any problem getting off the ship.

We shared a short excursion with two service dogs (and their owner :D) in Izmir last month from the Jade. They didn't have any problem getting off the ship.

This was Caribbean ports and the problem was not getting off the ship. The problem was upon return to the US, they would need to be quarantined by Customs before re-entering the US.

I once saw a lady with a poodle dog walking around the ship. When we got to a port I saw her without her dog. She left the dog on the ship. She never told me what her medical problem was because she didn't have to tell me. That is what she said to me.

Another time I saw another lady with a small dog on a cruise ship.

Recently I saw a man who had a service dog that was a pit bull dog. He said that kids could touch his dog. I told him that was not a good idea.

I like seeing people with their service dogs.

I was on a recent cruise with more than a dozen individuals with their leader dogs. According to the cruise director, the dogs were not permitted off the ship because they would have be subject to quarantine upon return to the US. The Entertainment staff happily entertained the dogs while we were in ports.

We were also on a cruise in the Caribbean with a group of about 6 people with dogs. They were also told that they could not take the dogs off the ship.

That's what I have seen in the past. I suppose each country could have different laws. Certainly will take some research.

Many, many years ago I recall reading an article in Cruise Travel magazine about a guide dog on a cruise ship. Evidently the crew was so enamored and thrilled to have the dog aboard, crew members even built it a little sodded "lawn" for the balcony. :D

Dear Medtech2, Here is a better way, go to Google, search for..... dog law reporter/cruise lines must accommodate service animals it works on my I pad. The answer was that yes the dog will be allowed to stay in the cabin, if the country will not allow the dog ashore, and that the cruise line cannot stop the user of the dog from going ashore if they wish, without the dog.

Dear Medtech2, Here is a better way, go to Google, search for..... dog law reporter/cruise lines must accommodate service animals it works on my I pad. The answer was that yes the dog will be allowed to stay in the cabin, if the country will not allow the dog ashore, and that the cruise line cannot stop the user of the dog from going ashore if they wish, without the dog.

Interesting article from 2010. I note that it does say they cannot prevent the guest from getting off the ship without the dog. It goes on to say the cruise line should work with the guest on how to manage the dog in the owners absence and the cruise line can charge fee's to cover the cost of helping the owner.

I found it interesting that the federal government specifically does not cover emotional support animals.

This was Caribbean ports and the problem was not getting off the ship. The problem was upon return to the US, they would need to be quarantined by Customs before re-entering the US.

This is incorrect customs does not quarantine animals the United States Department of Agriculture does. In the case of a guide animal they are not subject to same quarantine rules as household pets. A guide animal would be subject to a home quarantine in which a USDA inspector would arrange a time to inspect the animal X days after return to ensure the animal is healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They "need" their dogs on the ship, but not on shore. What is wrong with this picture???

They "need" their dogs on the ship' date=' but not on shore. What is wrong with this picture???[/quote']

Service animals give people some independence. For example, they might guide a blind person to the MDR, helping her avoid the carts in the hallways and into an empty elevator. Service dogs mean that you don't have to wake up your companion just to go get some breakfast. They're great in places where you know basically where stuff is.

If a person is traveling with a companion, they may choose to do without the service animal and depend on that companion to do those things for them. A blind person might find that to be best for a short visit to a totally strange city, where their service dog won't be of any more use than the person whose arm they are holding on to. They then don't have to deal with trying to explain a service animal to someone where they might not speak the language, or any of the other problems you can have.

Does that make more sense now?

I once saw a lady with a poodle dog walking around the ship. When we got to a port I saw her without her dog. She left the dog on the ship. She never told me what her medical problem was because she didn't have to tell me. That is what she said to me.

Another time I saw another lady with a small dog on a cruise ship.

Recently I saw a man who had a service dog that was a pit bull dog. He said that kids could touch his dog. I told him that was not a good idea.

I like seeing people with their service dogs.

Pit bull dogs get a bad rap just like Dobermans and Rottweilers.

As for Poodles they are the smartest of the canines.

Still yet is all in the training that the dog gets.

AND "YES" it is a good idea "NOT" to touch service dogs. It is not good for

the training they have received ignoring all distractions and treats.

Great that the folks with service dogs can enjoy the pleasures of cruises !

Interesting article from 2010. I note that it does say they cannot prevent the guest from getting off the ship without the dog. It goes on to say the cruise line should work with the guest on how to manage the dog in the owners absence and the cruise line can charge fee's to cover the cost of helping the owner.

I found it interesting that the federal government specifically does not cover emotional support animals.

"Thus, vessels are not required to accept emotional support animals. The Department acknowledges that this is inconsistent with air carrier access requirements and seeks comment on whether vessels should be required to accommodate emotional support animals. If this were required, the Department seeks comment on what safeguards vessels should be able to require to prevent abuse—such as “passengers attempting to pass off their pets as emotional support animals.”

That last part is the key. My daughter is a Veterinarian. She said the abuse of the system is becoming very problematic. Anyone can slap a "service dog" harness or tag on their pet and then proclaim they can take it anywhere. My own dogs give me immense emotional support, as do every pet owners' I'm sure. Does that mean I should be allowed to take them everywhere?

I have personally seen people in stores with dogs that were not well groomed, not well behaved, not potty trained, and were allowed to interact with any passerby. All this points to a fake service dog, with a fake harness.

I think the requirement should be to have papers available with such questionable dogs at all times certifying their use by an actual doctor, with that doctor's information, just like a regular prescription.

Handicaps like blindness and deafness are definitely easy to see and understand. "Emotional" issues not so much...

Edited by Medtech2

"Handicaps like blindness and deafness are definitely easy to see and understand. "Emotional" issues not so much...

Clearly, you've never had to work with a veteran suffering from PTSD. It's easy for people to accept disabilities the eye can "see". Please remember there are issues that may not be obvious to the naked eye but are just as valid, those who abuse the system deserve shame and scorn. Those with legitimate needs deserve our compassion and support.

Clearly, you've never had to work with a veteran suffering from PTSD. It's easy for people to accept disabilities the eye can "see". Please remember there are issues that may not be obvious to the naked eye but are just as valid, those who abuse the system deserve shame and scorn. Those with legitimate needs deserve our compassion and support.

That's what I was saying...sorry if it came across to you wrong.

It's the same as handicapped parking. Not all disabilities are visible. Unfortunately in my state, because handicapped parking is free, abuse was rampant. The state reacted by requiring photos on placards. Personally I feel that is a HUGE infringement on privacy, not to mention safety. I am not at all happy that my elderly mother's mug is in her windshield for all the world to see and possibly target when she is out and about--but that is a whole nuther discussion.

You may want to read the post again , because that's exactly what the poster said.