tipping rules in Vancouver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about luggage? Assuming that we have 2 (medium) suitcases that the bellhop will be dealing with, what is an appropriate tip?

Tip them the same as you would at any other Canadian hotel - we may be tree-hugging hippies out here compared to you Ontarians but tipping customs are exactly the same;-)

We rarely (read never) use bellhop services, except maybe twice at WDW where $1 a bag was the norm. I honestly don't know the going rate and we will be at the Pan Pacific. If I send my luggage down,

want it to make it to the ship, not into the water. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We rarely (read never) use bellhop services, except maybe twice at WDW where $1 a bag was the norm. I honestly don't know the going rate and we will be at the Pan Pacific. If I send my luggage down,

want it to make it to the ship, not into the water. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

The guys who actually put the luggage on the ship are (extremely!!!) well-paid unionized longshoremen, so the only tip you need worry about is the regular amount for taking a bag downstairs from your room like in any other hotel. If you give a buck a bag in the US, I see no reason to do differently here.

If I send my luggage down, want it to make it to the ship, not into the water. ;)

Do you really think that would happen? :confused: :)

Personally, if we were staying at the Pan Pacific, we would certainly tip more than $1 per bag, but of course that is up to you. I must ask if the hotel bellman will take your luggage to the pier - is that what you meant? They are adjacent to each other, but I can't find anything on the website that says they offer this service. If so, then I missed it.

Do you really think that would happen? :confused: :)

Personally, if we were staying at the Pan Pacific, we would certainly tip more than $1 per bag, but of course that is up to you. I must ask if the hotel bellman will take your luggage to the pier - is that what you meant? They are adjacent to each other, but I can't find anything on the website that says they offer this service. If so, then I missed it.

I don't know if they have it on their site, but they offer it. It is just one of the many great things about staying there. You just call for a bellman. He will come to your room and take your bags. If the ship is not accepting luggage yet, they hold it until the ship is ready. The next time you see the bags is in your cabin.

The room rate is usually way over our comfort level for a hotel, but we splurged for an occasion. I think we tipped the bellman $5 for 2 or 3 bags. He seemed happy with it. :)

It would be hard to sail from Vancouver again and not stay there.

I don't know if they have it on their site, but they offer it. It is just one of the many great things about staying there. The room rate is usually way over our comfort level for a hotel, but we splurged for an occasion. I think we tipped the bellman $5 for 2 or 3 bags. He seemed happy with it. :)...

Thanks for the info. We have always wanted to stay there too but as you said, expensive and a splurge. :)

I don't know if they have it on their site, but they offer it. It is just one of the many great things about staying there. You just call for a bellman. He will come to your room and take your bags. If the ship is not accepting luggage yet, they hold it until the ship is ready. The next time you see the bags is in your cabin.

The room rate is usually way over our comfort level for a hotel, but we splurged for an occasion. I think we tipped the bellman $5 for 2 or 3 bags. He seemed happy with it. :)

It would be hard to sail from Vancouver again and not stay there.

Thank you for the helpful answer to my tipping question. We got the PP through Hotwire, so I know that we'll have a city view (not water), but we're excited to be right there. :) We'll have a few days to explore the city, too. Again, thanks for the help. Edited by Dismomx5

How about luggage? Assuming that we have 2 (medium) suitcases that the bellhop will be dealing with, what is an appropriate tip?

I was a bellhop 55 years ago at the Manoir Richelieu in Quebec. 25 cents a bag was normal. $1 for several bags was also the norm. Adjusted for inflation thats $2 a bag today or $10 for a number of bags. If you can afford the Pan Pacific you can afford $10 for someone to see that your bags are delivered to your stateroom.

I was a bellhop 55 years ago at the Manoir Richelieu in Quebec. 25 cents a bag was normal. $1 for several bags was also the norm. Adjusted for inflation thats $2 a bag today or $10 for a number of bags. If you can afford the Pan Pacific you can afford $10 for someone to see that your bags are delivered to your stateroom.
Ah, another helpful post that addresses an acceptable tipping amount. Thank you for that. Thinking that $5 for the two bags, then, would be appropriate. $5.00 bills Canadian for baggage handlers in Vancouver, and some $1.00 US for room service, and odds and sods on the cruise. Thanks again to the last two posters for their tipping help. Edited by Dismomx5