what is it with pools on a cruise ship??

I agreed with most of what you said except for this ridiculous statement. No hot tub is kept higher than 104 to 106. The body cannot stand 140 degrees.

Personally I believe these pools and spas are much safer than any other at home or at the gym or anywhere else...simply because the water is changed so often. We have a pool and we have never drained and refilled it...not in 3 years. And sorry to be so blunt, but anyone with a pool knows people are going to pee in it...that is the reason for the chemicals in the first place.

So either get over it or stay out of it....just sayin.

BTW the epidermis is a wonderful organ that is meant to keep you from getting infections. People should trust it to do what it's intended for.

The epidermis is a stratified squamous epithelium,[2] composed of proliferating basal and differentiated suprabasal keratinocytes which acts as the body's major barrier against an inhospitable environment, by preventing pathogens from entering, making the skin a natural barrier to infection.[3] It also regulates the amount of water released from the body into the atmosphere through transepidermal water loss. Wikipedia

Once again, I apologize for mistyping 104 into 140, and failure to proofread.

The difference between the ship's tubs and yours is that the ship's tub has had more different people in it in a week's cruise than your tub has in the 3 years you've not drained it.:p

And, as I said, the main concern for hot tubs is legionella, which is an inhaled, aerosol bacteria, which bypasses your dermis. Just as a side point, shower heads are a major source of legionella, and as such, the USPH requires that all shower heads be sanitized every 6 months in a bleach solution.

Simply put, they can be enjoyable. Just like everything else on a cruise ship that has lots of people in a small area.....germs are there. Some people do things they shouldn't everywhere on a cruise ship, from the buffet lines to in the pools and hot tubs, which is sad.

But germs can be found everywhere and I mean everywhere. So I am not going to let a few germs get in my way. One of the problems of most people is that they have terrible immune systems.....I guess I am fortunate....I have not been sick in over 11 years....and I don't live in a bubble. I work in a job that requires me to handle money, which is one of the dirties commodities around and interact with people who seem to always be sneezing and coughing (from my customers to my co-workers).

Be reasonable when YOU use the pool and hot tub. Rinse off and enjoy!

This is how I feel. We've used the pools and hot tubs on every cruise we've been on, and have never gotten sick from them. There are many other places on a cruise ship (buffet) that could cause sickness, too. And we don't avoid those either.

Edited by time4u2go

So... happy hour at the Solarium Hot Rub @ 5pm? :p

I can attest to the closing and the cleaning of the Hot Tubs while in port after a 24hr stay. Our ship, the Naviagator was detained at the Port of Galveston due to an oil spill for 4 days, two of those 4 days the pool and hot tubs were closed for cleaning and recycling.

Personally I believe these pools and spas are much safer than any other at home or at the gym or anywhere else...simply because the water is changed so often. We have a pool and we have never drained and refilled it...not in 3 years. And sorry to be so blunt, but anyone with a pool knows people are going to pee in it...that is the reason for the chemicals in the first place.

So either get over it or stay out of it....just sayin.

Agree - except I doubt the public pools are safer than our home pools, but certainly as safe with the standards and inspections. Our home pool hasn't been emptied and refilled in years either, which is pretty standard - but I do make sure the chemical levels are kept where they need to be - primarily to avoid the ugly algae from growing! Algae feeds on phosphates, which come from leaves and other plant materials, skin cells, soap residue on clothing, and yes - pee! I use an almost magical chemical called PhosFree which removes all the phosphates. No phosphates, no algae!

I'm thinking the germaphobes just don't have much fun. I use the pools on the ship, also the pools at resort hotels we stay at - wouldn't dream of staying away from them. Also eat at the buffets, and don't even bring a zip lock bag to put the remote for the TV in in our room! :D (Someone actually DID post that here, they always did that, because that darn remote could have GERMS on it!) :rolleyes:

I don't swim in the pools because, for one, there is no room to swim even if I wanted too. It is pretty much standing room only, and peeing. Do I think I'll get sick from it? Unlikely, I've got a good immune system, but I definitely FEEL sick every time I think about standing in a toilet.

The cruise pools are just to full. I live in Florida. I can throw a rock and hit a nice, clean, peaceful one.

For those who enjoy it, have at it. You are not likely to get sick.

I don't swim in the pools because, for one, there is no room to swim even if I wanted too. It is pretty much standing room only, and peeing. Do I think I'll get sick from it? Unlikely, I've got a good immune system, but I definitely FEEL sick every time I think about standing in a toilet.

The cruise pools are just to full. I live in Florida. I can throw a rock and hit a nice, clean, peaceful one.

"Standing in a toilet", huh? You obviously love hyperbole and exaggeration! :rolleyes: And if its standing room only, I guess you haven't found the adults-only solarium pools, particularly later in the evenings!

I am NOT a germaphobe, not even one little bit, but I had to give up the hot tubs. 3 cruise's in a row I went home all rashy after using the hot tub. But because I like them ( and because I'm not too smart ) I went in AGAIN on my last cruise--same rash. NO more hot tubes for me. BTW I've gotten a rash on CCL-HAL and RCCL

I am NOT a germaphobe, not even one little bit, but I had to give up the hot tubs. 3 cruise's in a row I went home all rashy after using the hot tub. But because I like them ( and because I'm not too smart ) I went in AGAIN on my last cruise--same rash. NO more hot tubes for me. BTW I've gotten a rash on CCL-HAL and RCCL

4 out of 4 is not a good record. Perhaps there is something in the seawater they use theat is assiting the rash to you. You never know. But with your record, I don't much blame you.

As a physician I'm fascinated with people's perception of risk. Yes there are risks to hot tubs but there's also huge risks to overeating, drinking more than 1 or 2 drinks a day, and not sleeping enough. To name a few. Generally people take the risk if the behavior is fun enough to justify it.

Now I see the difference between a risk that is far in the future as opposed to hot tub folliculitus which will happen today, but I'm still intrigued by the reaction of some here.

I'm fully aware of the risks of hot tubs but still enjoy them. And I drank way more than 1 or 2 drinks a day last week.

And BTW urine is sterile and non-toxic (generally sterile I should say.) It smells bad but really it's not harmful, so not sure why people freak over it. In fact we often use a cream made from urea for skin care (urea is one of the main ingredients in urine.) See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

Stool is a different matter. (it's about 50% bacteria by weight, gross huh?)

Edited by DrD

4 out of 4 is not a good record. Perhaps there is something in the seawater they use theat is assiting the rash to you. You never know. But with your record, I don't much blame you.

Agreed - something is not agreeing with you, and if I had that record, I wouldn't go in again either! I'm also guessing its something with the seawater/chemicals combination that you happen to be specifically sensitive to. Frustrating, no doubt!

We're not all living in Florida....

Thanks Dr. D for your reassuring input! Since after my 4th drink... I mean, my second one, I may forget about the hut tub being dirty... Lol!

"Standing in a toilet", huh? You obviously love hyperbole and exaggeration! :rolleyes: And if its standing room only, I guess you haven't found the adults-only solarium pools, particularly later in the evenings!

Like I said, it is not that I feel I will get sick and I don't go on cruises to spend time in a crowded pool - and you really don't know people pee in them?? It doesn't make any difference to me if you don't mind that. I was giving my own opinion. I mind.

We just returned from a cruise in the MSC Yacht Club. I did enjoy the beautiful pool one afternoon. The solarium pools don't compare. I still like cruising RC better though. It is a better overall experience FOR MY HUSBAND AND ME. Again, MY opinion. :) See, no need to guess. Have a great day!

Talk about germs. Think about the handrails. All those kids sneezing in their hands and then the parents telling them to hold onto the handrail so they don't fall. Between handrails and money, the hot tub is nothing. Jus saying

We're not all living in Florida....

Thanks Dr. D for your reassuring input! Since after my 4th drink... I mean, my second one, I may forget about the hut tub being dirty... Lol!

Actually now that you mention it I'm pretty sure I had a few under my belt every time I used a hot tub last week. I think you may have drilled right down to the heart of the matter.

With all the folks going from 140 degrees to 104 degrees...despite the multiple posts noting that the detailed info had a typo....I thought we were headed for a modified version of 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon...only this time it would be 140 degrees.

And just as a reminder...hot tubs, pools, windjammer, hand rails....more accidents happen at home that anywhere else!

No where is Safe! Might as well get on a ship and live it up until fate strikes!

And just as a reminder...hot tubs, pools, windjammer, hand rails....more accidents happen at home that anywhere else!

No where is Safe! Might as well get on a ship and live it up until fate strikes!

I agree but actually the above stat is a perfect example of how easy it is to manipulate stats and one I used to use when teaching.

While it's true that most accidents occur at home, we also spend most of our time at home. If you look at accidents per unit time home is generally the safest place.

Same with the one about most car accidents occur within x miles from home (don't remember the number), you also drive far more closer to home, as each journey begins and ends there, and for short journeys you may spend the majority of it in that zone. But if you look at accidents per mile or especially per unit time (as we tend to drive more slowly near home so we cover less miles for the same amount of time) you're actually far less likely to get into an accident near home.

And don't ask about air travel if you don't want to be freaked out too much.