Stay Away from "S" cabin aft Balcony's!!!!

jgperegrine

Just want to clarify that our incident was not with a cabin but outside aft bar.. our fav spot! To me it was like a big puff back of very oily soot.. a few quick blasts & it was over.

soot in nostrils, eyes, clothing you are wearing including socks, undies etc..was quite memorable. It was a one time thing for us and as mentioned Celeb did all in its power to makes amends!!!!

Last year we had an aft C1 on the Solstice to Hawaii. No soot problems. Next week we leave for TA on the Eclipse from FLL to Southampton. We have aft S2 suite on deck 11. Hope soot is not more of a problem on TA. Any feed back ?

A Navy officer told me that soot is caused by a poor fuel mixture. If this is true, it sounds like it could be corrected. Can any of you old salts confirm? The guy was an 06, so he should have known something

We've done 3 cruises on the Silhouette and we loved it - an- ad each time we had the same aft cabin 8353.

It was quiet, had fabulous views, had a mix of sun and shade which was great on a sea day when the pool areas were manic, saw some wonderful sunsets and the moon over the sea.

We did have a little soot at times but it was soon cleared away.

I hope that this thread doesn't put people off trying these wonderful cabins.

We had a corner aft on the Equinox in 2013, and never had a problem with soot. Our cabin was on Deck 12, right under the aft bar, so it had a full cover. Also, any noise that we might have heard was not enough to bother us. Loved the view and would book again in a heartbeat. Plus, it was no more expensive than any other Sky Suite (S1 category).

Last year we had an aft C1 on the Solstice to Hawaii. No soot problems. Next week we leave for TA on the Eclipse from FLL to Southampton. We have aft S2 suite on deck 11. Hope soot is not more of a problem on TA. Any feed back ?

We were on the Eclipse in S1 cabin 8345 for the New Year's cruise. During the entire two weeks we never had ANY soot what so ever nor did we encounter any while we were in the Sunset Bar. The Sunset Bar was one of our favorite places to hang out so we were there often. Despite having the premium alcoholic beverage package I can remember the Sunset Bar clearly.

:D:D:D

They can. All it takes is money. Some of it yours. ;)

LOL :D

Not too much though. With the pricing now higher for aft facing cabins, we pocket the difference and just walk back there for our 'wake' fix.

The balconies on M class were spectacular! We were in 7212 once and 7208 twice. 7212 was huge and was handicap accessible, I think, 3 feet wider.

Edited by shipshape sam

Had an aft balcony on Solstice to Hawaii last year. I was concerned because I had heard of the soot issues, but had no problems myself. And yes, they're not very covered, but I could usually get shade if I scooted to the back of the balcony (rarely needed).

Sounds like it's a hit or miss problem. Rather odd!

We have had the Sunset Veranda cabin twice..TA eastbound on the Solstice (15 nights) and 12 nights on the Equinox in the eastern med. We were in cabin 8344. Our friends were in the cabin next to us and we opened the barrier between us to enjoy a large balcony. Never had much soot and we were always able to enjoy the balcony any time of day..loved watching the wake and leaving a port. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Hi Sally, we're sailing on Solstice and staying in aft cabin 7315 with friends in adjoining 7311 and plan to have the divider opened up to share a larger balcony - looking forward to having breakfast and lazy afternoons out there.

I plan on taking a hammock with me - it has an 'S' shaped hook on either end. Do you recall if there were anchor points on the balcony that you think a hammock could be hooked on to? And given the rake on the stern of the ship, I'm guessing that a lot of the time we won't be under cover - would that be right?

Thanks

Rob

Was Sillouhette the ship that had its funnels and mast modified to lower to cross under a bridge in Alaska?

I remember that during a CC thread about whatever ship that was, people were wondering about how the modifications might work with the dissipation of the smoke from the funnel....

If it was Sillie, then I guess we now know how that's worked out, considering past cruisers had documented few soot issues in those verandas.

That was Solstice...so it can fit under the Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver BC Canada, which is to be an embarkation point for a couple of alaska cruises this season.

• Like 1