Budget Queen and others -- what time should I be up?

CowPrincess

Here's the schedule we have for our cruise, wondering what time I should be up watching for whales each day :D Am normally out and about around 6 am, but want to make sure I'm optimizing my whale-search this time to Alaska :D

0 23 May 2014 Vancouver, B.C., CA05:00 PM

1 24 May 2014 Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage CO

2 25 May 2014 Juneau, Alaska, US01:00 PM 10:00 PM

3 26 May 2014 Skagway, Alaska, US 07:00 AM 09:00 PM

4 27 May 2014 Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm CO 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

5 28 May 2014 Ketchikan, Alaska, US10:00 AM 06:00 PM

.... and then cruising Inside Passage, and return to Vancouver.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the schedule we have for our cruise, wondering what time I should be up watching for whales each day :D Am normally out and about around 6 am, but want to make sure I'm optimizing my whale-search this time to Alaska :D

Thanks in advance!

Whales don't abide by a human clock system. They are out when they want to be out. Just keep looking for that geyser-like spout in the water :D.

There are several areas where whales are more likely to feed along the inside passage. You could be passing them at any time during the day or night. If there is a naturalist onboard they should be able to tell you where and approximately when you’ll be traveling through those areas.

Thanks in advance!

On northbound inside Vancouver transits, I am out an hour prior to dawn. This is a jackpot area for seeing the northern resident orca pods. Same thing for Juneau, Johnson Strait is a humpback area. A little Early (if up to it :) ) and late Tracy Arm day, :) same humpback area.

Again, same thing for Ketchikan only it's an hour prior to dawn, hoping to catch Snow Pass. I do recognize land marks usually which tell me, if I've missed it. But this entire area is nonstop scenery coming into Ketchikan.

southbound transit inside Vancouver Island, out the entire time, for me, this means skipping dinner. Same jackpot northern resident pods.

I am intense, my only priority with Alaska cruises is what is OUTSIDE the ship. I skip a lot of meals, don't go to any shows, and spend most of my time out on deck. :) This is NOT the norm. I am frequently alone, (one of my wonderful nephews is also "intense") I am an addict that can't help myself. So what I will suggest is do what's doable for you. A vacation isn't supposed to be uncomfortable, running yourself ragged (unfortunately some cruise tours are)

Yes I realize that wildlife won't perform on schedule :D

BQ thanks. "Dawn" in May is pretty early, so I guess "1 hour before dawn" is going to feel DARN early ;) I don't intend to be as intense as you are, but do want to experience early-early morning viewing at least once. One of my best Alaska memories was being out about 6 am, sort-of foggy, and the humpbacks' spouts just hanging in the air. (I am unprepared to miss meals but prefer the outdoor show to any that is onstage inside)

That would be nice![/QUO

Problem is, if you aren't right there within a few minutes, you are going to miss it. It depends on the cpt and ship naturalist, if there are any announcements. I was on the Statendam and there were none. A ship naturalist can really enhance your experience. Brent on Celebrity, and Michelle on Carnival, ate 2 I consider some of the best sailing Alaska. Rachel with Princess, now seems to be a presenter moving about ships during a week, she was a superb naturalist. I have certainly had many other excellent naturalists.

Last year on the Volendam , there was always an announcement from the bridge if there was a whale or bear sighting.

When I am on deck, usually the PA announcements sound like (more or less) "This is fgwyog, just mqyrlwsp, huwmtoo, zzzzzzzzzzzzx, thank you" :eek: I've especially found that on the smaller HAL ships. On the Ryndam no one in our group could understand anything on the PA, when on the Lower promenade deck ;)

"Dawn" in May is pretty early, so I guess "1 hour before dawn" is going to feel DARN early ;) I don't intend to be as intense as you are, but do want to experience early-early morning viewing at least once.

I'm not sure where you are from, but we are from the midwest, so Alaska will be 3 hours behind our normal body clock. So I plan to be up early and hoping the time difference will help. I figure 4am will 'feel' like 7am. It usually takes me several days to acclimate to a time change. Of course, that means I will be ready for bed around 7:30pm:)

From what I remember of our cruise to Alaska (during the same time period you are going), there wasn't much light in the early morning, so wildlife watching was pretty limited (I was up early every morning). That being said, wildlife viewing from the cruise ship is not optimal. You can see spouts from way far away, but its very rare that you would see much more from the ship. The coolest thing we saw was a line of dolphins that stretched from horizon to horizon, but that was during the day and pretty far off.

Take a small boat tour in Juneau if you want to 'experience' whales.

I'm not sure where you are from, but we are from the midwest, so Alaska will be 3 hours behind our normal body clock. So I plan to be up early and hoping the time difference will help. I figure 4am will 'feel' like 7am. It usually takes me several days to acclimate to a time change. Of course, that means I will be ready for bed around 7:30pm:)

Thanks I'd forgotten about the time difference ;) I'll be right behind ya, hearing to bed at 9 pm probably :D See, I have no worries about "nightlife" on the ship. :D

From what I remember of our cruise to Alaska (during the same time period you are going), there wasn't much light in the early morning, so wildlife watching was pretty limited (I was up early every morning). That being said, wildlife viewing from the cruise ship is not optimal. You can see spouts from way far away, but its very rare that you would see much more from the ship. The coolest thing we saw was a line of dolphins that stretched from horizon to horizon, but that was during the day and pretty far off.

I just checked and for May 10, "dawn" is 3:48 am, and "sunrise" is 4:42 am, for Juneau. A couple of weeks later dawn will be earlier, as will sunrise. I've seen some amazing things in Alaska, just from the deck of the ship. I am a bit obsessive (not like Budget Queen though :D ) .... I can watch for spouts for hours, as long as no one is bugging me.

Seems as though I'll need to be up earlier than my normal 6 am ;)

I do have a small-boat whale watch booked for Juneau.

Yes I realize that wildlife won't perform on schedule :D

BQ thanks. "Dawn" in May is pretty early, so I guess "1 hour before dawn" is going to feel DARN early ;) I don't intend to be as intense as you are, but do want to experience early-early morning viewing at least once. One of my best Alaska memories was being out about 6 am, sort-of foggy, and the humpbacks' spouts just hanging in the air. (I am unprepared to miss meals but prefer the outdoor show to any that is onstage inside)

If the sun is up you should be up. A person has all winter to sleep when it's dark outside. Take advantage of the daylight.

If the sun is up you should be up. A person has all winter to sleep when it's dark outside. Take advantage of the daylight.

Oh how I wish I could sleep all winter when it is dark outside! :D And cold. Dark AND cold. The bears have got it right :D

I disagree, Alaska has extended twilight that is very good viewing for me. I also am on the lowest open ship deck, going side to side most of the time, and have had superb wildlife viewing. I will continue to recommend the benefits of a good pair of WIDE ANGLE binoculars. You need the wide field of view for Alaska.

You are absolutely correct, it is NOT optimal- which would be superior on a small boat and the cpt diverting/stopping. :) But, it's a bonus that few people take advantage of. Tours are the jackpot- you will always see me on those too.

• 4 weeks later...
On northbound inside Vancouver transits, I am out an hour prior to dawn. This is a jackpot area for seeing the northern resident orca pods. Same thing for Juneau, Johnson Strait is a humpback area. A little Early (if up to it :) ) and late Tracy Arm day, :) same humpback area.

Again, same thing for Ketchikan only it's an hour prior to dawn, hoping to catch Snow Pass. I do recognize land marks usually which tell me, if I've missed it. But this entire area is nonstop scenery coming into Ketchikan.

southbound transit inside Vancouver Island, out the entire time, for me, this means skipping dinner. Same jackpot northern resident pods.

I am intense, my only priority with Alaska cruises is what is OUTSIDE the ship. I skip a lot of meals, don't go to any shows, and spend most of my time out on deck. :) This is NOT the norm. I am frequently alone, (one of my wonderful nephews is also "intense") I am an addict that can't help myself. So what I will suggest is do what's doable for you. A vacation isn't supposed to be uncomfortable, running yourself ragged (unfortunately some cruise tours are)

So if we are going southbound Seward to Vancouver, would Johnson Strait be coming into Juneau or leaving Juneau, also Snow pass into Ketchikan or leaving? We go to Hubbard Glacier, not Tracy Arm. My AAA map doesn't have these details. Thanks

So if we are going southbound Seward to Vancouver' date=' would Johnson Strait be coming into Juneau or leaving Juneau, also Snow pass into Ketchikan or leaving? We go to Hubbard Glacier, not Tracy Arm. My AAA map doesn't have these details. Thanks[/quote']

Johnstone Strait is the orca area at the northern end of Vancouver Island. South of Juneau, the junction of Frederick Sound and Stephens Passage is the hot humpback area - leaving Juneau for you, 1-2 am likely. Snow Pass is excellent as well - it's north of Ketchikan, so as you approach, but again, very early (3am?). I'm like BQ, up whenever there's ANY light, often 3am, and many of my best photos have been taken while nobody else is on deck, all at the shows or meals.

Edited by huskyguy

Johnstone Strait is the orca area at the northern end of Vancouver Island. South of Juneau, the junction of Frederick Sound and Stephens Passage is the hot humpback area - leaving Juneau for you, 1-2 am likely. Snow Pass is excellent as well - it's north of Ketchikan, so as you approach, but again, very early (3am?). I'm like BQ, up whenever there's ANY light, often 3am, and many of my best photos have been taken while nobody else is on deck, all at the shows or meals.

My fantastic sightings are what keep me doing the early/late scenery watching. Last year, I had the gift during a transit to Ketchikan from the north (Skagway was the prior port), and coming around Snow Pass- slow, loaded with bubble net feeding. The ship was going so slow, I saw the humpbacks surface 3 times. This was around 4am, and correct, I was the ONLY one on deck- delighted with this wonderful thrilling experience. :)

This is why I sail Alaska and MY priority to see as much as I can. I never tire and do have an obsession. I'm afraid to missing something. :) So in Alaska, I go to no shows, skip meals if needed, eat in buffets for their ease and quickness. I do, depending where we are, will occasionally go to a naturalist (not lecturer) talk. There are always a few other "obsessed" people I frequently see. But overall, it is a very small number of people.

do you bring special binoculars with you? I don't want to miss things by trying to get the perfect shot on my camera. My best memories of trips exist in my mind's eye not on Facebook.

Too many people take zillions of pictures without experiencing what they are taking. This is probably my only trip to Alaska. I will be up early, naturally as I'm from the east coast US and am an early riser by nature.

Have you taken the helicopter/sled dog tour? We are booked for this in Juneau. Thanks for your intelligent advice. LilMsFoodie

Budget Queen, how many Alaskan cruises have you taken? I have appreciated all of your honest advice on this board.

About 40. I'm in Seattle right now, getting on a "triple" Tuesday. Staying on the Miracle for 3 weeks.

do you bring special binoculars with you? I don't want to miss things by trying to get the perfect shot on my camera. My best memories of trips exist in my mind's eye not on Facebook.

Too many people take zillions of pictures without experiencing what they are taking. This is probably my only trip to Alaska. I will be up early, naturally as I'm from the east coast US and am an early riser by nature.

Have you taken the helicopter/sled dog tour? We are booked for this in Juneau. Thanks for your intelligent advice. LilMsFoodie

Yes, always, binoculars are with me. IF I do eat in the dining room, there they are. :) Wide angle is "necessary" for me, as I want the widest field of view.

You are so right about photos. Especially a waste of time from a cruise ship, dot's in the water- IF you catch it, most times, they are too late. The big problem- too narrow of a field of view. I shake my head at those with the cameras up to their face, in the area the whale has BEEN. Sorry, they don't stay in one spot.

I do take my camera on whale watches. There is an element of prediction sometimes. I do know behaviors and still it is a big guess where sightings are going to occur. I spend a lot of time whale watching out of Gloucester, during a week will go out usually twice a day- with few days skipped. :) There, there are specific whales, I know to watch and what they are "likely" to do, and how they feed, dive, etc. I go with a particular capt in Alaska, who is an expert with the same thing as I don't whale watch in Auke Bay nearly as often.

So enjoy the moment, and consider spending your time as you wish. But clearly, the more time you invest in "watching" the more you see. :) Greatest luck to you.

Over 10 years ago, two years in a row, I was canceled upon for a glacier dog sled tour. I then twice made winter trips, and went to "dog sled school", and did three dog sled trips with my own team. So at this point, I'm not interested in the ride offered with the summer tours. But, this certainly is an excellent tour that is consistent with rave reviews. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks! Went to library and found a better map. I am thinking we should pass Point Adolphus leaving Hubbard Glacier at 6pm on the way to Juneau. Then leave Juneau at 9 pm to Skagway, then Skagway at 8:30pm to Icy Strait. So I will have to see when/if we will pass the junction of Frederick Sound and Stephens Passage (as it looks like we would have to pass by Juneau again and be on the East side of Admiralty Island to get to that spot) and also Snow Pass going to Ketchikan from Icy Strait (leaving at 4pm). Next would be Johnstone Strait leaving Ketchikan at 6 pm heading to Vancouver. I would think guest services or the naturalist could find out when we might be passing these points?

About 40. I'm in Seattle right now, getting on a "triple" Tuesday. Staying on the Miracle for 3 weeks.

WOW - just wow! I am going on my 1st cruise/1st Alaska trip on July 5th. I have every intention of spending as much time as possible on deck. My traveling companion keeps saying - we'll do this, that, keep busy....I can keep busy in San Antonio. I can not watch the ocean here!! That is all I really want to do. My "one thing" on the trip is a whale watching excursion from Juneau. I just hope to spend more time watching whales than at the glacier.

Hearing that I have a decent chance of seeing whales/dolphins from the lower deck makes me so very happy!!!

I found a decent pair of binoculars that my ex left behind, so I'm hoping they are the right ones for this kind of trip since I really can't afford anything else if I'm going to pay my bills before/after this cruise!!!

Thank you for sharing all your info! Is there any kind of map or book I should get now - 8 weeks out? or will everything be available on the ship?