Cabanas by the Pool

This is my first posting of a new thread so apologies if this has already been said. My wife and I along with two other families, recently completed a cruise on Freedom. Great ship and would so again if it had better ports. Been to St Thomas and St Maarten five times already. Not trying to be pretentious but merely trying to provide information. We booked a grand suite because this is our big vacation each year and perks are too good to pass. One of the perks we have enjoyed on each cruise is the dedicated seats by the pool. The seats are padded, reserved, and have a great view of everything. We even have a dedicated waiter. This year when we boarded, we went right to our area and found that Freedom had moved the suite seating two levels up, above the sky bar. When we got up there, the seats were the standard seats and the wind was really howling. We decided to go back down the the 'old' seating area and found that they had now designated this as 'cabanas' with five loungers (2 covered) and three chairs with a table. They informed us we could rent this for $300/day on sea days. Since there were three couples, we decided to pay it. The cabana included 3 drinks per person, Johnny rockets lunch, a bottle of champagne, fresh orange juice, a nice fruit plate, a cooler of towels in ice water (felt great), and a chocolate platter. Also bottles of water and a few other things. In the end, maybe a good deal but the convenience of having it all brought to you was worth it. The tip here is if you have any desire to book this for a day or week, they go fast. All of theses rows were gone in a few hours and people booked for the week. You also can book for two for $100 or at least that it what they told us. Happy sailing and sorry for the length of the post.

This is my first posting of a new thread so apologies if this has already been said. My wife and I along with two other families, recently completed a cruise on Freedom. Great ship and would so again if it had better ports. Been to St Thomas and St Maarten five times already. Not trying to be pretentious but merely trying to provide information. We booked a grand suite because this is our big vacation each year and perks are too good to pass. One of the perks we have enjoyed on each cruise is the dedicated seats by the pool. The seats are padded, reserved, and have a great view of everything. We even have a dedicated waiter. This year when we boarded, we went right to our area and found that Freedom had moved the suite seating two levels up, above the sky bar. When we got up there, the seats were the standard seats and the wind was really howling. We decided to go back down the the 'old' seating area and found that they had now designated this as 'cabanas' with five loungers (2 covered) and three chairs with a table. They informed us we could rent this for $300/day on sea days. Since there were three couples, we decided to pay it. The cabana included 3 drinks per person, Johnny rockets lunch, a bottle of champagne, fresh orange juice, a nice fruit plate, a cooler of towels in ice water (felt great), and a chocolate platter. Also bottles of water and a few other things. In the end, maybe a good deal but the convenience of having it all brought to you was worth it. The tip here is if you have any desire to book this for a day or week, they go fast. All of theses rows were gone in a few hours and people booked for the week. You also can book for two for $100 or at least that it what they told us. Happy sailing and sorry for the length of the post.

Never heard this before.

Never heard this before.

lol

I've heard of special seating by the pool for suite guests. I know allure has it on the deck above the pool, there is a sign that says 'for suite guests only'. It's just regular old seats, nothing really special. However this is the first i've heard of cabanas by the pool and renting them... I would rent a cabana on labadee, but never ever would you catch me renting space on the ship that i've already paid for to be on in the first place

lol

I've heard of special seating by the pool for suite guests. I know allure has it on the deck above the pool, there is a sign that says 'for suite guests only'. It's just regular old seats, nothing really special. However this is the first i've heard of cabanas by the pool and renting them... I would rent a cabana on labadee, but never ever would you catch me renting space on the ship that i've already paid for to be on in the first place

LOL? I've heard of suite seating as we've been in a GS three times and have used the seating a couple of times. What I've never heard of is "cabana" seating on the pool deck. I certainly wouldn't pay for the space on the pool deck.

My statement was more that I've never heard of this before. No one else has reported it either.

LOL? I've heard of suite seating as we've been in a GS three times and have used the seating a couple of times. What I've never heard of is "cabana" seating on the pool deck. I certainly wouldn't pay for the space on the pool deck.

My statement was more that I've never heard of this before. No one else has reported it either.

I agree totally. Kind of caught us off guard. They said this was the first week of this and that they were trying it. Based on the number of people who tried to get them, I suspect they will try it for a while. In the end, three drinks x 2 people is close to 45-50 bucks alone. Not sure I would do again for 100/couple but it worked out ok this time.

The week of the 23rd of March was the first week on this ship. Even the concierge didn't know about it when we complained.

Complained? You complained but took advantage of this and loved it? :p:)

....and I am appalled.

:(

Not for me. Just in general.

Yuck.

Bad form, Royal Caribbean. Bad form.

Agreed. How... I don't know... clique-ish. How segregated. Absolutely on a private island, I would probably be all for it as it would fit in with the atmosphere and all, but on a pool deck? Wow. Not for me either.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

The week of the 23rd of March was the first week on this ship. Even the concierge didn't know about it when we complained.

Sounds like an overzealous Hotel Director's bright idea to increase revenue.

I 'lol'd because your comment made me smile, straight and to the point!:D I did mean to come back and say why i Lol'd but i forgot ,sorry about that

I'd love if they designated a cabana area on a new build or added an area during a refurb, but this is in bad taste, IMO. Tacky nickel and diming an area that I can use on the other Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Did I say tacky?

Champagne, fruit, and nice seats... Plus Johnny Rockets? Ummm ew. What?! What kind of combination is that?

Sounds like RCI is trying to copy Princess's paid "Sanctuary" area -- which includes padded loungers, waiters, cool towels, special spa menu, etc. -- and a ridiculous half day/full day price.

I dislike that cruising on the mainstream lines is becoming more and more price-segregated. It seems that suite cruisers (and those with more disposable income in general) are being given access to items (for $$$) which used to be provided to all cruisers for the price of the fare.

Alas, this feels like the old "first class/second class/steerage" model of cruising... and while this may appeal to some (who prefer to socialize with others of "their class"), it will also alienate others (who enjoy meeting and mingling with all kinds of people).

As an example, I have friends who will not cruise unless they can book the highest-level suite on the cruise (Carnival, Princess, RCI, etc.). Since I know what these can cost, I asked them why they don't cruise on the more exclusive lines (Seabourn, Silversea, etc.) -- and they said that they are boring, they don't welcome children, there's no energy and excitement, etc. They ENJOY the mixing and mingling, and are happy to spend a premium to have the exclusive and exquisite living quarters, but don't expect any other special treatment or "perks" beyond that.

And the rest of us, who DON'T have the budget for that style of cruising, are feeling more and more excluded from areas and activities that used to be open to all. Sigh. I sincerely hope that the mass-market lines don't keep going down this pathway. As I have written elsewhere, EVERYTHING isn't about the "bottom line" or "increasing revenues" or "maximizing profits" -- it's also about providing a great product for a large audience, and encouraging loyal, repeat customers who rave about the unique aspects of cruising to their friends and family, providing free advertising that brings in a continual flow of new cruisers.

C'mon, RCI,

Sounds like RCI is trying to copy Princess's paid "Sanctuary" area -- which includes padded loungers, waiters, cool towels, special spa menu, etc. -- and a ridiculous half day/full day price.

I dislike that cruising on the mainstream lines is becoming more and more price-segregated. It seems that suite cruisers (and those with more disposable income in general) are being given access to items (for $$$) which used to be provided to all cruisers for the price of the fare.

Alas, this feels like the old "first class/second class/steerage" model of cruising... and while this may appeal to some (who prefer to socialize with others of "their class"), it will also alienate others (who enjoy meeting and mingling with all kinds of people).

As an example, I have friends who will not cruise unless they can book the highest-level suite on the cruise (Carnival, Princess, RCI, etc.). Since I know what these can cost, I asked them why they don't cruise on the more exclusive lines (Seabourn, Silversea, etc.) -- and they said that they are boring, they don't welcome children, there's no energy and excitement, etc. They ENJOY the mixing and mingling, and are happy to spend a premium to have the exclusive and exquisite living quarters, but don't expect any other special treatment or "perks" beyond that.

And the rest of us, who DON'T have the budget for that style of cruising, are feeling more and more excluded from areas and activities that used to be open to all. Sigh. I sincerely hope that the mass-market lines don't keep going down this pathway. As I have written elsewhere, EVERYTHING isn't about the "bottom line" or "increasing revenues" or "maximizing profits" -- it's also about providing a great product for a large audience, and encouraging loyal, repeat customers who rave about the unique aspects of cruising to their friends and family, providing free advertising that brings in a continual flow of new cruisers.

C'mon, RCI,

I disagree to an extent. We don't book suites every cruise, but when we do, its nice to have perks that the rest of the ship doesn't. We're paying five times more in many cases for crying out loud! I don't think anything is becoming "segregated", there are just a few bonuses for those who throw down the big bucks... and rightfully so! Yes suite guests are paying for the larger room, but also for the suite experience. For the most part, the added perks are not anything that was once included in every guests fare (CL access, reserved seating, priority, etc.)

I don't see anything wrong with being able to socialize with other concierge level guests at times, IMO. There is still plenty of opportunity to socialize with "everybody else". I don't see anything unsavory about it unless they separate the "classes" in the dining room :p.

The problem I have here is not that it isn't feasible for everybody, I think the general idea is great, but lets not take away a desirable public area to make it happen.

Edited by kruzerci

Just some clarifying questions. It sounds like this is for anyone and not just suite guests. You said $300 (3 couples) for a group or $100 for a couple. Sounds like lots of food and beverages are included. For those of you (us) that shell out extra money for a cabana on Labadee, this 'cabana on the ship' sounds less expensive considering all that is included??? With the chair hogs out there, $100 for a couple with all of the food and beverages (+champagne) is beginning to sound like a deal. We are on Freedom in July and I would like to know much more about this new situation before turning my nose up at it.:)

I could see this going fleet wide. Hotels in Vegas and Miami have been charging for cabanas for a long time now. It's easy revenue. Yes I agree it does stink to have another up charge but people are willing to pay for it. I know I will. To me it's worth it knowing I don't have to deal with chair hogs or spending time searching for chairs. With the food and drinks makes it even more tempting. JMO on the subject.

I am in the minority but I like this idea and would consider it a fun splurge! Much better idea than a specialty restaurant. I've never been able to get a chair near any pool because of all the people that go at 5:00 am to put towels on the chairs and sometimes never even show up?? Being able to rent the cabana would guarantee a spot!