Trying new food on board

forceten

Our first cruise coming up and we are excited!

Never being on a cruise before we aren't sure how things work.

We would love to be adventurous a bit and try some food we normally wouldn't have (just like with the drink package we will be trying drinks we never had before).

Say we eat at blu or the mdr. If we order an appetizer or even entree and after a few bites we realize nope not for us and we made a mistake. Would we be able to order a different one?

And i guess the same goes for - what if we really really loved it. Would we be able to order that same item again right away if we wanted another?

Not sure how the dining works on the ships.

Just thought of another question. Sometimes we have just went out to a restaurant and ordered a bunch of appetizers and desert, but no main entree. If we wanted 3-4 appetizers, but not the main entree is that possible?

First of all, congrats on a first cruise! Like many of us, you may get hooked on it :)

Secondly, bottom line is yes, you can do whatever works for you in dining. I speak mostly for the main dining room, as I've never eaten in Blu and rarely use the specialty dining. Bottom line is they want you to be happy. If you'd rather have a different choice, just ask. If you want an extra, just ask. Part of what I love about cruises it to try things I've never tried before. Just because I can!

Now the reality is that, yes, there is a lot of food on board. I have rarely asked for a different choice if I didn't like something, only because I wasn't hungry. And often it's the waiter that is trying to get me another dish (they see you haven't eaten and don't want you leaving disappointed, or even hear you commenting that you wish you had tried such-and-such and bring it anyway).

Just have fun with it! Unless you're intending to be wasteful (ordering every option with every course for every meal just to take a bite and move on), I encourage you to enjoy yourself.

The weight is gain is a sure sign that you have enjoyed a relaxing cruise with good food and drink to be had whenever you want. IMO, people who do not gain weight during a cruise are doing it wrong.:p

And hahahahaha, Mic... been there, done that, haven't we? :p

Didn't mean to start a disagreement :o

Just didn't know how things worked on a cruise ship :) But now I have a better idea, thanks all!

I look forward to being adventurous! More so than anything else, frog legs, escargot, duck and lamb! I usually cringe at the "thought" of escargot but thats just the thought of it. What better place to try it out for the first time while on the cruise and see just how it tastes! I hope they have it...... Matter of fact I have only tried a few types of sushi. Maybe I will find some new things there also to try!

Wonder what other different or exotic things might be on board that I have never tried.

Edited by forceten

Just didn't know how things worked on a cruise ship :) But now I have a better idea, thanks all!

I look forward to being adventurous! More so than anything else, frog legs, escargot, duck and lamb! I usually cringe at the "thought" of escargot but thats just the thought of it. What better place to try it out for the first time while on the cruise and see just how it tastes! I hope they have it...... Matter of fact I have only tried a few types of sushi. Maybe I will find some new things there also to try!

Wonder what other different or exotic things might be on board that I have never tried.

There are plenty of options just in the MDR let alone at the specialty restuarants. Good luck and enjoy.:D

Hi,:) no worries about a disgareement. That is the life of a message

board. When there are differences, you will find some folks who can

be kind about them, while others feel the need to chastise for those

same differences:(

I love duck and escargot:), frogs legs not so much. But of course

that is just my pallet. You may love them and won't know until you

give them a try.:)

Hi,:) no worries about a disgareement. That is the life of a message

board. When there are differences, you will find some folks who can

be kind about them, while others feel the need to chastise for those

same differences:(

I love duck and escargot:), frogs legs not so much. But of course

that is just my pallet. You may love them and won't know until you

give them a try.:)

Well stated Lois. Gee, how soon do you think the OP will start another thread for some information?:rolleyes:

Oh, and the authors name is Anthony Bourdain, not "Andrew", and the book is titled "Kitchen Confidential". It is a must but easy read for anyone who is into food and cooking. It was a bestseller about 10 years ago.

Best part of the escargot is taking some french bread and using it to sop up the garlic butter...YUM OH! DH and I tried sushi for the first time on our first =X= cruise 9 years ago - got us hooked!

Still haven't tried frog legs. That's one I just can't bring myself to try yet.

Enjoy your first cruise and your culinary journey as well! You'll come home looking for land based restaurants to try some of the things you've fallen in love with.

The weight is gain is a sure sign that you have enjoyed a relaxing cruise with good food and drink to be had whenever you want. IMO, people who do not gain weight during a cruise are doing it wrong.:p

I've been lucky so far! I enjoy my food on a cruise, but I've yet to come back with weight gain :D No elevators for me, and I try to stay active. This cruise however, I have the drink package, and I suspect those blended drinks are going to do me in :D

lol. This is cruise critic. Just about any question can cause a disagreement.

Surely the cruise line wants you to remember their good food? If you order one dish and dont like it..... you will walk away disappointed. If you order one dish plus another to try and dont finish both because you dont like one of them then you will come away enjoying your meal. Bottom line is your happy and may return and may choose the dish you liked again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On our last cruise my dh, 2 daughters and I ordered 2 orders of escargot to share between us, not knowing if we would like them.

Loved them and this next cruise if offered we will each order a platter.

We use the cruise to taste new things

I love the escargot! Yum!

Several more tips for the OP:

In Blu you can get some of the standard MDR apps from a "not-so-secret" menu: the escargot, french onion soup, shrimp coctail, clsasic caesar salad, etc. in addition to the Blu offerings! Even more to try!

Also, if two mains look appealing, they can give you one of the two without a side if you prefer - that way its less waste if you just want the entree from one of the dishes. Of course, they will give you both sides if you want them too. :D

Enjoy!

lol. This is cruise critic. Just about any question can cause a disagreement.

So you are saying it's ok to make a new post (without searching the million threads on the subjects already) and ask just what's ok to wear on formal nights (polo shirt instead of a tie or jacket), followed by if I should take my real passport off the ship, while I keep my pet parrot in the shower onboard :) I think a few more come to mind for the past few weeks on the boards :D

I really have to disagree with you here, I don't think I've ever finished my entree in Blu, they're just too big for me, I have no guilt at putting down my fork when I've had enough food to sustain my body.

There are also plenty of nights where DH & I ordered a creme brule to share & each just had two bites, again, the idea that you need to "clean your plate" is not a very healthy one.

Totally agree. At 26 I'm only now taking charge of my weight, as I was raised to clean my plate and now find it very difficult to tell when I've really had enough. It's given me years of misery!

Forcing food down for the sake of it is totally unnecessary and unhealthy. Not to mention that many people aren't used to eating four courses every day for dinner so undoubtedly many new cruisers will struggle.

I hate food waste too, and when it comes to the buffet I hate seeing people stack their plates and waste half of the food - take less, and go back! But in the MDR where the portion size is out of your control I have no problem with people leaving food they can't eat or don't want.

So you are saying it's ok to make a new post (without searching the million threads on the subjects already) and ask just what's ok to wear on formal nights (polo shirt instead of a tie or jacket), followed by if I should take my real passport off the ship, while I keep my pet parrot in the shower onboard :) I think a few more come to mind for the past few weeks on the boards :D

Given that you are the OP, I'm really puzzled by your post.

But to answer your question, yes, I think it's okay. There are no rules posted saying don't ask a question if its already been asked before or don't ask a question unless you search the forum to see if your answer is out there.

We all had our first cruise once upon a time and had tons of questions. Some people are too uptight. So what if there are 10 threads about what to wear? If one doesn't feel like reading/answering a thread on dress code, all they need to do is scroll-on-by.

Everyone is entitled to eat as they choose. At dinner I typically order a few items when the server first takes the order. I typically do not order more later to cause a second trip to the kitchen. I will often have three starters and an entre. Eat most of the food and leave some. Mainly I think it is easier on the staff if you order all at one time.

I already have enough weight, thank you. I'm not going to stuff myself to show a clean plate, nor do I order double anything.

On one cruise, I ordered the cheese plate appetizer one night, and told the waiter which cheese I really liked best, the following nights that was the only cheese on my plate any time I ordered it.

Warning to all new cruisers; Salt air can shrink clothes, especially in the evening right after dinner!

I already have enough weight, thank you. I'm not going to stuff myself to show a clean plate, nor do I order double anything.

On one cruise, I ordered the cheese plate appetizer one night, and told the waiter which cheese I really liked best, the following nights that was the only cheese on my plate any time I ordered it.

Warning to all new cruisers; Salt air can shrink clothes, especially in the evening right after dinner!

So true about the salt air. I only ever eat what I want, and if that means leaving some on the plate, then so be it. I enjoy food and as such indulge my taste buds.:D