So nobody can book a cabana in advance (?) is this right?

I just booked a cabana a week ago. We are in a JS on Oasis for the Feb 28 2015 sailing. Called and booked it through Royal.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Same here. Book a "Nellies over the water cabana" for our Feb 28, 2015 sailing on the Independence.

I just phoned again to see if a different person would give me a different answer and they did, slightly. The guy I got today ("Rusty") said they are "unavailable to book in advance". He continued to say that he's been in the job for ten months and had never been able to book a cabana for a customer in advance.

I told him I did it for my last cruise, and that I know people are doing it for March 2015. I don't think he believed me and I didn't feel like getting into an argument.

He never said it was a new policy. He did confirm that they are definitely not sold out, just not available to book in advance.

I'm going to keep trying over the next few weeks/months and see if something changes. Will post if it does.

Thanks everyone for your information.

I just tried to book a cabana in Labadee. The agent told me they just started a new policy that nobody can book a cabana until they are onboard. I asked him if that applied to both suite and non-suite guests (I am not in a suite but wanted to know what he would say), and he said yes, suite or non-suite, you have to wait until you are onboard.

Is this right? I can't imagine they are inviting the crush at the desk for every cabana. I don't relish the idea of getting so competitive on my holiday either.

I'm hoping I got a clueless agent on the phone.

So, anybody else get that line?

Interesting. DW booked ours on Labadee for Feb 2015 back in March. Also, when I look at our excursions for next February in Labadee they are still available to book. I wonder if perhaps the cabanas are sold out? They only book so many and then the remainder have to be booked on board.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I just booked water Cabana on Nellies Beach this morning online for March 14, 2015

on the Independence of the Seas with no problem.

It's the inconsistencies that drive you crazy!! Why would March 14, 2015 be open for booking, but not February 12, 2015?? I'm beginning to think it is dependent on ship because it was last year's cruise on the Independence where we had no problem booking almost a year in advance! Maybe Explorer doesn't get the same services?

Our friends who are cruising with us are going to enquire later and see what answer they get.

I wonder then if we're not the only ship in port that day and the other's passengers booked them, or indeed have precedence. It just seems so far in advance to be sold out. And if they were just sold out why wouldn't the agent have just said that? Beginning to think I really am SOL.

For a cabana, these days, you're really not that far in advance. A couple years ago they only released shore excursions (including Labadee cabanas) only about six months in advance. Lately, they often release cabanas YEARS ahead of time.

For my January 2015 sailing I booked my cabana at Labadee in October 2013! A friend tried to do the same in Jan. 2014 (one full year in advance) and had to settle for a 'beach' cabana, rather than a preferred 'over the water' cabana...they got the last cabana listed for sale!

However - don't fret...people do cancel cabanas. In particular, I'd check in the couple weeks before final payment is due...that's when someone may opt to cancel the cruise (along with their cabana).

Noel

Our friends who are cruising with us are going to enquire later and see what answer they get.

Our friends did get a different response! They were told that cabanas for 2015 will not be released until this summer. Very weird, but I will remain hopeful that if I check diligently I won't miss out. Labadee just wouldn't be the same without one.

Thanks, all.

It's the inconsistencies that drive you crazy!! Why would March 14, 2015 be open for booking, but not February 12, 2015?? I'm beginning to think it is dependent on ship because it was last year's cruise on the Independence where we had no problem booking almost a year in advance! Maybe Explorer doesn't get the same services?

You may have hit on something. My cruise is also on Explorer. We're getting screwed! :screwy:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We will be stopping in Labadee in August aboard the Explorer. We booked a cabana on line and I just looked at our shore excursion page and it has cabanas available......2 kinds...one for suite guests and above and one for the "rest of us" So.... did you check your shore excursion page for your cruise??

Yes, I've checked online multiple times and made two phone calls. My friend who is cruising with us has also checked online and made one phone call. We are getting different explanations but same result - no advance booking. My friend's husband is going to try tomorrow and see what happens. Will post back if we have success.

I want to address a few of the more recent responses based solely on our experience and understanding:

Yes there is inconsistency with information received from the reservation reps at RCI - unfortunately that has been a situation that has existed for a long time. We have had several conflicting responses regarding cabanas as matter of fact in our own experience.

The reservation reps are not always well versed in the different excursion options as that is managed by the shore excursions department. The reservations reps are primarily responsible for cruise bookings and general information, not necessarily details on individual excursions. We have had instances when we have been put on hold while a rep will call a different department (shore excursions, as example) for a given answer.

If a rep gives you an answer such as "that is not available to book online" that may actually be meant as "at this time" as all they are seeing on their computer is "not available" or some other similar message, and they would not be able to know if it is sold out, not yet offered, or at what time it will be offered.

So their answer, while potentially confusing and subject to incorrect interpretation, may actually be accurate in the sense of that moment. And, when pressed, as they may not all be equally knowledgeable in the details of the various excursions, they may incorrectly advise you regarding what they believe may be the case. Again, I base this on varied responses we've gotten in the past.

I don't believe that when a school has vacation week has anything to do with when any excursion would be available. Keep in mind that timing will vary over several weeks nationally. We have been able to prebook cabanas twice in March - typically the spring break period.

Specific to cabanas - and a key point - it is simply a matter of timing as to when the shore excursion department does post them for bookings. And as they are very popular, the allotment available on line usually books up in a matter of a couple of days. So they come on without notice, book quickly, then are off again with the notification that "this excursion is not available on line" or some other like message, which then results in the confusion discussed in this thread. There are more held back for on board bookings.

As previously mentioned, when available, Nellies are available to non-suite guests on line and Barefoot are available to suite guest through the concierge 1-2 weeks in advance. This has been their policy and based on other posts here I believe is still the policy. It is just the lack of clarity with the reps and the timing of their release that IMO creates the confusion.

While I can only assume that when more than one ship is in port, each one must get an allotment relative to their passenger load, but the bookings are still available as described. The passenger capacity on Labadee is scaled to their largest ships - Oasis / Allure, which is 6,000 plus. Any other two ships that would normally be "double booked" there would not exceed that total amount.

There is no preferential treatment with one ship v another that I am aware of in our experience as we've been able to book Nellies cabanas at Labadee on line on various ships as well as Barefoot through the Concierge.

This is purely speculation, but I wonder if the timing of when one ship releases them for booking v another has to do with bookings on that ship reaching a certain level. Perhaps the release date varies by ship as they are waiting to hit a certain % of bookings to capacity to allow the most passengers the opportunity to book on line?

Again, this response is not meant to challenge anyone's opinion and is only based on our direct experience. Also, sorry for the long post.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I book our crusises online, so when I booked last years Freedom cruise, I looked every day online for when the excursions opened up because I knew I wanted a Nellies cabana. Soon as I saw it, I booked it without hesitation to ensure I got one.

On a side note we were given a barefoot beach cabana once we arrived there with all the benefits of barefoot beach cabanas. Don't ask me why they put us there but they did. I figured they must have ovebooked the hillside cbanas on Nellies which we booked or maybe they upgraded us because all the hillsides on Barefoot were not booked, which I think might have been the case because one of them on one side of us was empty the entire day.

Here's the latest. Our cruising friends called Excursions Desk yesterday and were given the run around again. They asked to speak to a supervisor. They were put on hold for ages, and then the same guy came back and said the cabanas were sold out. My friend asked why we werent just told that in the first place rather than being given varying stories, and was fobbed off again with more differing stories.

They sent an email expressing our displeasure over how the whole thing was handled. Will post if we get anything in reply.

I still don't entirely believe it. If the roll call is anything to go by, and I suppose that is a reach, this cruise should have plenty left. Last year, when I booked my cabana for my Indy cruise, there were already 20+pages of activity on the roll call. When I started the cabana chase for this cruise, there was only one page on this roll call. Again, probably the roll call activity is not at all indicative, but that is a huge difference.

We are cruising on the Allure in June and I checked multiple times every day for months for a cabana online and finally one was available about a month ago and I booked it right away. I think the above poster is correct when they said as soon as they are available online they are gone quickly and you never know when they will be listed so you need to check daily if not multiple times a day which I did. We are really excited we got one and it took a lot of checking to get it.

Just reporting that I was able to reserve my cabana on Barefoot beach today.

No email came through from the concierge but considering I board this Sunday I sent him an email and he replied saying that my over the water cabana had been reserved. Yay! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

So I just wanted to report that since I started this thread I have been checking online almost every day (OK, so I'm a bit obsessive), and calling periodically. No cabanas appeared. On the phone, I was told they were sold out. Not sold out but being posted 90 days out. Not sold out but being posted 60 days out.

I just called again after not seeing anything online today and this time I was told that they were only bookable once onboard and only to suite guests. I asked the agent when had the policy changed and he said there was a revision on October 16th and again on November 13th. He also said I can book once I am on Labadee (that seems like a ridiculous comment to me).

I don't think it is going to happen for me this time, but I will continue to check online and maybe even phone at around 60 days out. I'll report back if there is any news.

This is so aggravating!

If you are unable to reserve a cabana in advance, your best course of action would be to go to the shore excursions (Explorations) desk immediately after boarding and inquire about a cabana then. We've been able to get a cabana by doing this even though they were shown as unavailable online before the cruise.

I was in Labadee last Thursday, November 13th...how I miss it already... :)

I had similar problems. One important distinction - my cruise last week was on Celebrity Reflection...it seems Celebrity does things a little differently. For cruises on Royal Caribbean, I've never had problems booking a cabana at Nellies well in advance.

For last week while cruising on Celebrity, they did not offer any cabana bookings in advance. I did just as others have suggested above - I went straight to the shore excursions desk the moment I boarded. From there, it was the ship board concierge that contacted me early that same evening to confirm my cabana booking.

Noel

Thank you both. I will try when we board but I've resigned myself to not having a cabana.

I will also continue to bang my head against the proverbial wall and check online and call periodically.

Whatever the policy really is, I just wish it was applied consistently.