My Time Dining

Good for you, but some people don't want to prepay gratuities. And if they are being added automatically anyways, why should I have to because of MTD?

Maybe I want to use OBC for tips, maybe I don't want to pay prepaid gratuities for 3 cabins when I bring my entire family. There's no reason for it being mandatory to prepay anymore.

My point precisely. I booked 3 cabins 13 months out and MTD was the only option. That means I part with roughly $500 to cover the gratuities 3 months earlier than others. It's the same amount in the end but there is no benefit to me and I am not the bank for RCI. I'd rather be charged afterwards.

I don't mail my credit card company extra money early so that I don't have to pay later....no benefit.

I too would have preferred to be auto charged onboard and have my OBC applied.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by LMaxwell

The point is that more and more MTD is the only available option even when booking well in advance.

This is so true. I feel like they are trying to ram MTD down my throat. I don't believe it has anything to do with the gratuities, but probably more about making it easier for meal service.

Personally I think Royal is going to take the Quantum concept and apply it across the board.

I booked Jewel of the Seas California Coastal for 2015 as soon as it opened. The only option was MTD. I am okay with it because we would rather do MTD. We've done it since 2009 and never turned back. But it was suspicious that it was the only option right off the bat.

Anyone else experience this as well?

Never thought of it that way.You have a valid point.Time for the pre paid MTD to go. Mr Goldstein give us the option to pay our gratuities in advance, and still choose the dining time we wish. early,late or anytime.

Sent from Cruise Critic App

Edited by link99

1. As soon as they announced that gratuities would be automatically added to your SeaPass account daily, I said that there was no longer any reason to treat MTDiners differently. (making them pay in advance)

My point precisely. I booked 3 cabins 13 months out and MTD was the only option. That means I part with roughly $500 to cover the gratuities 3 months earlier than others. It's the same amount in the end but there is no benefit to me and I am not the bank for RCI. I'd rather be charged afterwards.

I don't mail my credit card company extra money early so that I don't have to pay later....no benefit.

I too would have preferred to be auto charged onboard and have my OBC applied.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

2. 75 days. (unless you are sailing over Christmas or New Year's) It helps your case to NOT exaggerate.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Just a little tip for you, perhaps u should not be so aggresive in ur manner, was it really necessary to have the "and before u say anything" bit?? Each to their own, u think kids should pay double, good for u, then u pay double then, bet u dont though, also change ur own kids nappy and try clean up some of the mess at least, just expecting the staff to do it for you is rude.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

Your reply is pretty ridiculous. The poster did not say nor infer that cruise staff should change her baby. When you place dirty diapers in your trash though the cabin steward then has to empty that. Cleaning up of that kind is their job. While paying double was probably a rhetorical advice it did highlight that the previous posters plan to not pay at all for the child was unfair to both the waitstaff and cabin staff. Gratuities are per person, not per adult.

I actually do understand what mighty fierce is saying, if both the 1st and 2nd sitting are fully booked then you have no option but to go to my time dining and have no option but to pay grats upfront at the amount rci choose, where as at the other sittings, you can choose how much u want to give.

I must point out I have absolutely no prob paying my grats, no probs at all but we have a cruise booked at mo and at one point were going to go to my time dining but decided against it cos they said my BABY would also be expected to pay grats, even to the wine waiter, this is just too stupid to me, a little baby in nappies paying tips, no way. Didnt matter enough to us to change, actually glad we didnt but did think it was insane that a baby would be paying tips.

Of course, babies in diapers should pay full gratuities whether you have MTD or not (please don't tell me you plan to stiff the staff for that amount) - and, I would agree, probably more since they do make a much bigger mess than most adults. The room steward also has to remove smelly diapers from the room. What wine waiter? The did away with sommeliers years ago - your regular waiter brings it IF and only IF you order wine.

2. 75 days. (unless you are sailing over Christmas or New Year's) It helps your case to NOT exaggerate.

You also have to add the length of the cruise as your method of payment will not be charged until after the cruise.

My last cruise with RCI (10 day) that's 85 days. Any my bill comes on a cycle just like the rest of the world. For all intents and purposes it is a 3 month period. If RCI is okay taking fixed dining guests gratuities 85 days after final payment is due it should be a policy fit to apply to MTD guests too.

I hardly think I am exaggerating anything or stating my case in a deceptive manner. At least, sincerely, that's not my attempt.

Edit: I just looked at my record; my TA takes final payment one week ahead of RCI due date to ensure it is processed on time. 92 days. That's THEIR policy, not RCI's, but they are RCI's #1 recommended agent so it's not like I got some oddball. We can stick with the 85 number though for discussion purposes.

Edited by LMaxwell

Had to weigh in on this topic - I booked last week for AOS Feb 2015 and had my choice of dining times. This will be the first time w/ MTD so I'm hoping we like it better than the late dining. As for the pre-payment of gratuities - I don't have a problem as it will be one less thing to have to worry about on the ship.

If you dont want to pay gratutities in advance then dont book my time dinning, it's a simple concept really...

Agreed, however I was looking into bookings for next year and I noticed that even though it was wayyy in advance 1st or 2nd seating wasn't available, only my time dining. However you can go on a wait list and even though it would add the grats onto your final amount, once they put you on regular seating, that price would change.

And also to the OP, I just switched to MTD and I have 21 days until sailing, so you can really switch at any time (up until 4 days of sailing) So not really sure what OP means by a min of 80+ days...:confused:

The higher your C&A status, the easier it is to get the dining assignment that you want. Believe me. It is so.

:)

Agreed. This current sailing (May 2nd) I was waitlisted for 1st seating. I booked Feb 25th. By the beginning of march I got the 1st seating. However I just recently changed to MTD because I noticed it is now 530p. Although 6p was a little early already for me, 530 is just too early for me. I would prefer the 8p, however others in my party decided against that time. So with MTD I feel i can just sit pretty at a nice 7pm!

I got totally off what Merion_Mom was saying but yes the higher your status in C&A the easier it is for them to accommodate you when on the wait list

Personally I think Royal is going to take the Quantum concept and apply it across the board.

I booked Jewel of the Seas California Coastal for 2015 as soon as it opened. The only option was MTD. I am okay with it because we would rather do MTD. We've done it since 2009 and never turned back. But it was suspicious that it was the only option right off the bat.

Anyone else experience this as well?

I booked Allure for Dec 2015 and Oasis for 2016 and had no trouble getting traditional 8:30 dining.

This is so true. I feel like they are trying to ram MTD down my throat. I don't believe it has anything to do with the gratuities, but probably more about making it easier for meal service.

Hi,

We booked a cruise in March, very last minute (one week before sailing). Our TA said that MTD was only dining option. And there was no waitlist for late dining. We weren't thrilled as we had always enjoyed traditional late dining. TA told us that the ship always keeps some seats open for Diamond & above but that didn't help us as were Emerald at that time.

Nothing else opened up so did MTD for the 1st time. Was it us - or do other people feel strange having to line up every nite for a table??? Especially on formal nite.

Sure hope this is not RC's new tactic....

NJ :)

Just a little tip for you, perhaps u should not be so aggresive in ur manner, was it really necessary to have the "and before u say anything" bit?? Each to their own, u think kids should pay double, good for u, then u pay double then, bet u dont though, also change ur own kids nappy and try clean up some of the mess at least, just expecting the staff to do it for you is rude.

'Like" Times a thousand!:D

We book MTD in order to get that charge added--ha!

For me, it's one less thing I have to worry about. We don't even go to the MDR. We can never make it in time for breakfast, and eat dinners either in suite or alternative restaurant. Once we retired the tux and gowns, we rarely go to the MDR. Out of 16 days on our last TA cruise on the LOS, we went to MDR for a salad bar. Never once for dinner or breakfast.

I just like to have it out of the way.

Edited by kymbakitty

Who do you think takes care of the dirty diapers? /QUOTE]

ummmm Certainly not the Dining room staff??

I think the poster meant paying tips for a baby in the Dining room, not for room steward etc..

Yes but you don't pay the gratuities separately for each staff member. You pay one amount per day which covers everything. That poster said they didn't want to pay gratuities for their baby, which means neither the cabin steward nor wait staff would receive gratuities.

Edited by BekkaW

Who do you think takes care of the dirty diapers? /QUOTE]

ummmm Certainly not the Dining room staff??

I think the poster meant paying tips for a baby in the Dining room, not for room steward etc..

Thankyou. That is 100% exactly what I meant, this post is only about the dining room. I tip everyone, do I think a baby should pay the same, no I dont and I wont change my mind. The cabin staff, kids club are amazing and we go above and beyond plus we happily tip the dining staff again no probs, we just feel its a bit insane for a BABY in arms who is still just drinking formula from a bottle to be expected to pay the same amounts as a full grown adult.

Hi,

Was it us - or do other people feel strange having to line up every nite for a table??? Especially on formal nite.

Sure hope this is not RC's new tactic....

NJ :)

You can book your time still though. That should mean you can get in pretty quickly shouldn't it?

We did and didn't book on different nights, and we usually didn't have to line up and wait at about 8pm or so. We found the service very quick also. Maybe the lines are worse if you are doing MTD at an earlier time. The only time they seemed to be a bit slower was first night.

We liked going when it suited, and would never go back to traditional times, BUT...it would be nice to have a choice. We also have noticed only MTD was available a long way out. Also agree with others, that it should be all the same, just go on the account every day and you can pay at the end.

Yes but you don't pay the gratuities separately for each staff member. You pay one amount per day which covers everything. That poster said they didn't want to pay gratuities for their baby, which means neither the cabin steward nor wait staff would receive gratuities.

Stop right there, do not say that, read what I said. I absolutely believe staff deserve tips, I said about a baby paying to dining room staff is a bit much, I actually mentioned the wine waiter in particular, I was talking ONLY about a baby paying tips in particular to a wine waiter is stupid in my opinion.

I would never "stiff" anyone for tips, what u have said is not true.

Your reply is pretty ridiculous. The poster did not say nor infer that cruise staff should change her baby. When you place dirty diapers in your trash though the cabin steward then has to empty that. Cleaning up of that kind is their job. While paying double was probably a rhetorical advice it did highlight that the previous posters plan to not pay at all for the child was unfair to both the waitstaff and cabin staff. Gratuities are per person, not per adult.

I do pay all my grats, for every single member of the family, all I said is I do not believe that a baby should be expected to tip, for example a wine waiter. All cabin staff etc, totally different. This post is ONLY about the dining room, read the name of the topic. I was only talking about this NOT any other staff at all, I even mentioned the wine waiter. When we have went on cruises we have always had a great relationship with waiting staff and learning about them and giving full tips but I just do not believe its right that a baby should be paying the same.

Stop right there, do not say that, read what I said. I absolutely believe staff deserve tips, I said about a baby paying to dining room staff is a bit much, I actually mentioned the wine waiter in particular, I was talking ONLY about a baby paying tips in particular to a wine waiter is stupid in my opinion.

I would never "stiff" anyone for tips, what u have said is not true.

As has already been mentioned , there is no wine waiter in your tips. So who's tip are you removing if you don't pay for your baby?