Non Formal Attire for Men

Newbury newbie

Is a polo shirt with chinos appropriate for men in the MDR on non formal nights? Our first ever cruise is fast approaching.

Yep, you'll find many are dressed the same way:)

This is from the webite. They don't want you to wear "wife beaters"- muscle shirts. Short sleeved shirts are fine.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

450px-Man_in_A_shirt_at_the_Brooklyn_Book_Festival.jpg.0532fa59310a535eda7610862f464c56.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I can't understand how a polo shirt is stated as smart casual yet short sleeved shirts are not! I've many smart sh/sl shirts and was hoping to wear them on our med cruise in july, :confused:

I think you'll find that a short sleeve shirt is quite acceptable. Where have you seen otherwise?

This is from the webite. They don't want you to wear "wife beaters"- muscle shirts. Short sleeved shirts are fine.

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The way I read it, a short-sleeved shirt with a collar (polo) is OK. A short-sleeved shirt without a collar (T-shirt) is not. A shirt without sleeves, with:D or without collar, is not.

Where does it state that the shirt must have a collar in the quote from the website? All I read is that it must have sleeves.

🚢

'The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.'

Totally not true! 'Enforced' is not enforced. This may be published, but it is not true. My statement is based on recent X cruises.

I can't understand how a polo shirt is stated as smart casual yet short sleeved shirts are not! I've many smart sh/sl shirts and was hoping to wear them on our med cruise in july, :confused:

This is a common mistake easily made the way the dress code is worded. When Celebrity says shirts must have sleeves they are trying to avoid sleeveless shirts for men. Shirts with short sleeves are allowed and they are very common. Personally, I usually wear button up short sleeved shirts on warm weather cruises. Usually Tommy Bahama style shirts.

Ahh ok, I guess the way it's worded confused me:/ on past cruises I've always worn sh/sl shirts but this is my first with celebrity, don't want you all dissin' me ;-)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

No worry! I've read posts from many others who interpreted Celebrity's wording the same way and thought short sleeved shirts were not allowed. Just be glad you asked before you packed for your cruise!

Edited by Lsimon

I have just returned from a cruise on Equinox .Very few dress suits were evident ,many lounge suits and a sprinkling of men wearing short sleeved shirts.The amusing thing was that those wearing jackets usually took them off before sitting down to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Polo shirts & chinos are just fine. Many of the men (on Caribbean cruises) wore the Tommy Bahama style shirts. My DH prefers them to polos as they are cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not the case on our recent (29 March and 5 April 2014) B2B Cruise on the Summit. Recommended/Suggested guidelines were not 100% enforced. Even on formal evenings in the MDR and theater. Howerver one morning we did see the wait staff hand white t-shirts to two guys who came in the MDR for breakfast wearing wife beater undershirts. Kudos to the staff.