Upgrades at checkin

Has anyone received an upgrade at check in at the pier whether being offered for free, offered for a charge, asked for and received, etc.

No, No, & No. I think these are a time of the past.

But I could be wrong...

The sign up in the terminal and at guest services has always said basically..."No Vacancy" :D

This is so true!! We were just on the "oil spill cruise" and many people departed before we sailed. They kept up the sign the entire week saying all cabins were full, even when we all knew they weren't! Three other couples we traveled with all left, so I know if at least three! However, there were a few that were able to change within the same category.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes but it was on Princess doing Panama Canal. All luggage tags were in place as was required . Left luggage with outside handlers and went in and ... Guess ? We upgraded to balcony from inside for free but luggage went to old room number. Took a couple hours to get it all back to us.

i remember it happened to me... once... It was the best cruise ever. Of course it was in 2001. I had booked a balcony for 5. I had emailed RCCL and asked to be upgraded for free. I received an email from rccl and they said they have many guests and the rooms are filled. So when we got to the check-in counter i had asked if by chance we had an upgrade and she said yes. We had a royal family suite in the back of the ship. It was on the Explorer. Much better than a balcony. It was as big as a small apartment. It was after 9/11 so there were a lot of empty cabins. Wish it would happen again!

As I recall in the past if there were any empty cabins for an upgrade you would have to see the "Pier Coordinator" first before check in. But as others have said I haven't seen an empty ship in the 35 I've been on. And by the way if you do get lucky you don't pay the difference as of the last going price but there is a schedule they follow by what you originally booked and what you upgrade to. If I remember it was very reasonable.

Boarding the Oasis in 12/2010, I asked at check in and they sent me to the guest services desk. I asked and they took my name and there were about 7 others names prior to mine. I had forgotten about it and then the next day, I had to go back to the desk for something else. The gal helping me asked me to wait for a minute. She came back and said that I had been offered an upgrade for a fee of course. We were in a D-7 balcony that we paid about $2K for the 3 of us. My upgrade offer was $3k to a Crown Loft suite. While that may have been a good deal, we were already comfy in our balcony cabin and I didn't wish to fork out the $3K or move all of my 'stuff'. I was told by guest services that the ship almost always has the sign displayed "ship sailing full" even if it is or isn't full.

My motto; it certainly never hurts to ask! :p

Has anyone received an upgrade at check in at the pier whether being offered for free, offered for a charge, asked for and received, etc.

We have arrived at the port three times and been surprised. Once on Song of America. The others after arriving to board Monarch. It has happened and may happen again. The latter were because someone higher up the C&A chain were upgraded to a Suite and we got their JS. Never say never ;)