Best time to board the Royal

58Piano

We are not yet platnim or elite. They suggested to board at 1:30

How early can we board and not wait in too long of a line?

A couple of weeks ago when we boarded in FLL, we got to the pier at 10:30 and the non platinum/elite line was at about 40 people, so if you get there before 11 you should be on plenty early.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

You specifically asked about not waiting in line but did you consider just the waiting part? Even if you are there by 11, you still won't be able to board for another hour. You are technically still waiting in a line, it just might be smaller.

Most people arrive around 10:30/11:00. Obviously, they want to start their vacation. During the high season, there are extensive lines. The suggested staggered boarding times are not enforced.. If you arrive after 2, you will literally be able to check in and walk on the ship.

Most hotels require you to check out by 11am or noon so where are you supposed to hang out with all of your luggage until after 2pm?

We cruised last week (3/30 sailing) on the Royal. We left in the hotel shuttle (Embassy Suites) at 11:15 and were standing in our cabin by 12:15. This was our first time as Platinum. We didn't encounter any lines (it had nothing to do with our Platinum status) when we first arrived and walked right up to the counter to be checked in. There were only 4 couples in line ahead of us in security to scan our carry ons. We sat for about 20 minutes in a waiting area and then boarded. Other passengers began boarding immediatly after us. It was the smoothest, fastest check-in that we have experienced to date with Princess.

Hilton has an AARP rate that allows you to stay until 2 pm, though I've found that hotels don't always allow you the full time, because it is not guaranteed. Still, until 1 pm is very useful. I prefer to get there fairly late, about two or three hours before departure, and generally I find either a short line or bored agents chatting to each other. A cruise ship is no novelty for me, I'm usually watching my weight so I'm not fixed on going to the buffet, and I'd prefer just to avoid aggravation.