Kindle and their Whispernet

Does anyone know if Kindle's Whispernet works on board? I have the 2nd Edition Kindle, that I love to beat the heck out of, I use it for outside reading, the iPad for inside. I will have preloaded and downloaded all books on both devices, but was wondering if I'd have access to the Whispernet. I can't remember if the last time we cruised I was able to download the daily newspaper. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know if Kindle's Whispernet works on board? I have the 2nd Edition Kindle, that I love to beat the heck out of, I use it for outside reading, the iPad for inside. I will have preloaded and downloaded all books on both devices, but was wondering if I'd have access to the Whispernet. I can't remember if the last time we cruised I was able to download the daily newspaper. :)

Any device with wi-fi can connect to the ship's network, and any cellular device will connect to the ship's antenna. So you will be able to connect.

However...keep in mind that no matter how you connect, you still have to have a plan to pay for the ship-satellite-shore connection that you will be using.

Any device with wi-fi can connect to the ship's network, and any cellular device will connect to the ship's antenna. So you will be able to connect.

However...keep in mind that no matter how you connect, you still have to have a plan to pay for the ship-satellite-shore connection that you will be using.

There are no ways to get wifi/internet without paying $.40 to$.75 per minute. Download your stuff from home first.

But, if there are some things you like, doing a quick download and then log off is always an option.

There are no ways to get wifi/internet without paying $.40 to$.75 per minute. Download your stuff from home first.

But, if there are some things you like, doing a quick download and then log off is always an option.

No idea why you've quoted me just to tell me what I already said. :confused:

Kindle Whispernet is free 3G service that Kindle supplies to the purchasers of certain m9de l s.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Yes...Whispernet is free, however, transmissions over the ship's tower are not....even for Whispernet.

certainly when close enough to shore to pick up any 3G signal whispernet will work

My first cruise i kinda played around a little and it seemed to work any tiem i tried it

I was trying to use it to check emails and it worked but stupidly slow and really unreadable so never tried it much after first one or two tries

I am not sure if that was working from the ships mobile signal or from a land based

the ship would not have any way of charging you for using whispernet as it is via 3G

so if they are allowing 3g transmission it should work

and you would presume kindle pick up any charges for that as they give you free access to any 3G world wide

Last time on the Star, while still in port in L.A., using the cell phone on Verizon network. Suddenly got a text message, welcome to Verizon at Sea! And from then on it was full seafaring roaming rates!

I would guess that if the Kindle icon says 3G, you are safe. Enjoy!

I'm guessing it would work, as with roaming enabled i would /sometimes/ get service on the ship. of course, paying roaming fees is not worth it, but with free 3g, there's nothing to worry about there.

However, I can't see using free 3g on a ship in the middle of the ocean... from what i imagine i would be so frustrated in 15 minutes i would stow it and never use it again

This is a wonderful question.

I have the 3G kindle as well. I bought it for travel, ya gotta love free down loads on the 3g system.

From what I understand 3G is not wifi but more like cell service. My guess would be in ports it would work as long as there is cell service on the port area.

I have not attempted to use my kindle on a ship.. I would say give it a go, it will either work or it will not due to needing to pay for the 3G service on ships.

If when you find out current correct info pop back by and let us know.

I would not count on getting a connection to Whispernet while you are at sea. However, when you come in to port you are likely to be able to get in range of land-based cell towers and get a connection. Cruise ships don't carry "normal" cell towers.

It's one of the few places you can be these days and not be reachable by phone or internet. I kinda like that.

No idea why you've quoted me just to tell me what I already said. :confused:

No idea why I did that either. Blame it on the system or wine?!

Anyways,all these folks that think they can get free ANYTHING are wrong. Not gonna get 3G, 4G or even dialup speeds at sea.

No idea why I did that either. Blame it on the system or wine?!

Anyways,all these folks that think they can get free ANYTHING are wrong. Not gonna get 3G, 4G or even dialup speeds at sea.

Wait, what? You drink while posting?? :eek:

Why didn't I think of that!?!?! :mad:

.....Now where the #^&@% did I put that corkscrew?? ;)

There is no such thing as a QUICK DOWNLOAD over he ship's internet connection. It is VERY slow. It will make 56k dial up look blazing fast at times. In fact at times it got even slower than my first 300 baud acoustic coupler modem.

Hi have the free 3G Kindle. I use it all the time when cruising. You don't have to buy the ships internet to use it. You just have to be close enough to land to pick up a mobile/cell signal. It will work in any port you are in without you having to do anything except to turn on the internet on your Kindle. I've used my Kindle all over the world US, Europe, Asia & Africa without any particular dificulty. Some places are slower than others. I've also used it in the Caribbean. I'm not sure what part of the world you are going to.

I hope this helps.:D

OP's question asked about using her/his Kindle 2nd gen. on NCL fleet while ship is at sea, as in open water - not while docked at a non-US ports.

Connecting to NCL's "MTN" or its carrier-at-sea, it can only connect to NCL's own website with the Kindle or similar tablets with the Kindle App installed, hacking or modifying the built-in Kindle browser, etc. is beyond the technical scope of most end users if & when that's possible. The Kindle can load easily 3 to 6 months worth of reading on the device, without needing a download at sea, which I would strongly urge & recommend.

Otherwise, it will require establishing a NCL account at sea to browse & use its satellite WiFi to access all other *.net(s) to browse & download, etc. It will require an UserID and password to log in (AND, always remember to logout when done as the billing meter will continue to run otherwise) to be given access, behind its firewalls/proxies, etc. etc. (... make good use of those generous OBC's if you have them, of course.)

There is so much to do on the ship during the week that we barely find time to sleep and are tired enough to take cat naps in the afternoon - doing an Atlantic crossing solo without lands for 5+ days is another story.

Hi have the free 3G Kindle. I use it all the time when cruising. You don't have to buy the ships internet to use it. You just have to be close enough to land to pick up a mobile/cell signal. It will work in any port you are in without you having to do anything except to turn on the internet on your Kindle. I've used my Kindle all over the world US, Europe, Asia & Africa without any particular dificulty. Some places are slower than others. I've also used it in the Caribbean. I'm not sure what part of the world you are going to.

I hope this helps.:D

Yes...all that is well known.

The Kindle will work in port. (Although there may be additional fees...according to Amazon's website). The Kindle will also work if you are standing on the ship but still close enough to connect to a tower in port.

What the OP asked was if it would work ONBOARD. Big difference.

And yes, the device will operate ONBOARD, but in order to use Whispernet and download new content while ONBOARD, you'd have to pay for the connection time.

Thanks everyone. OP here. I will have all my books downloaded prior to cruising. I just wanted to know if my Chicago Tribune will be downloadable. Not the end of the universe it it isn't. I will download newspapers while in port, seems to be the way I will go. Me and the DH both work for state government....we like to keep apprised in the shenanigans going on the our Capitol. ;)

Thank you all...this horse has been beaten to death. :)

Kindle Whispernet is free 3G service that Kindle supplies to the purchasers of certain m9de l s.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

You are correct. My Kindle 1 was able to download books on a cruise.

You will have 24/7 access on the ship to BBC Int'l TV coverage on any major global news, including domestic ones plus Fox News :eek: and CNBC on the financial markets. Not much in term os free coverage while at sea for sailing between ports.

St. Maarten has "free" WiFi on the beach once you take the shuttle ferry over to town (don't recall if the shops at the pier have unsecured WiFi) to download. For USVI, AT&T have native coverage, T-Mo & VZW are roaming so you should be fine. Nassau, Bahamas has free WiFi inside the pier building, just look for/follow the off-duty ship crew members with their mobile devices - it's slow & often hard to connect so if you head to places like Senor Frog for a drink or track down McD's or Starbuck in town, you can do more than downloading Kindle books.

You are going on a cruise, on vacation - relax & take it easy, catch up with the rest of the world as you sail back into Miami port. :D

.... Me and the DH both work for state government....we like to keep apprised in the shenanigans going on the our Capitol. ;)

That is easy.

Same as last year.

and the year before.

Just read last years newspaper and change the appropriate names.

Right?