church services on a Christmas cruise????

We are cruising Christmas week this year and wondered about services for Christmas Eve and day?we went for Easter week once, and the service they had for both Protestant and Catholics were from the same minister, who was a priest.....so they didn't get the communion elements there in time for him to serve to us....(the. Protestants)....but after ours was over they brought elements for the Catholic service....now I needed to partake in communion so I stayed for the Catholic service....later I learned I should not have done that but I didn't know....my point is if this happens again would it be wrong of me to take communion from the catholic priest? The priest did both services on our Easter cruise.... Catholics please don't flame me....thanks!

Some cruiselines provide religious leadership, some don't. If you know what cruiseline you'll be on, you should post on the board here dedicated to your cruiseline.

A smaller and less red font, might cure my headache, if you wouldn't mind. :)

No flaming :D

You should not participate in communion in a Catholic Mass unless you are Catholic. But you're not the first one to take communion unknowingly -- my brother-in-law did (before he was married to my sister and had converted. It was at a funeral and he didn't know not to either).

According to Catholic rules, only Catholics in good standing (baptism, confession, etc.) are allowed to take communion in their service. But I can assure you that there is no vetting process in the line to communion and I have never heard of anybody being denied. Also you can be sure that probably half of the people taking communion are not in good standing for one reason or another. It is your spiritual experience with available resources and I suggest you follow your own conscience.

Catholic rules are: only Catholics who are in good standing( been to confession and been absolved etc) are permitted to partake of the Sacrament in a Catholic service.

since 98% of the people in Church are NOT in good standing.. well.. do what you will with that information.

hell I haven't been in GS for over 20 years but to appease my MiL I will attend High Holy Days and partake.

Edited by spookwife
expanded reply.

According to Catholic rules, only Catholics in good standing (baptism, confession, etc.) are allowed to take communion in their service. But I can assure you that there is no vetting process in the line to communion and I have never heard of anybody being denied. Also you can be sure that probably half of the people taking communion are not in good standing for one reason or another. It is your spiritual experience with available resources and I suggest you follow your own conscience.

Here I thought all Christian religions are equal. Isn't a Christian a Christian and you need not concerned with which of the thousands of Christian religions you belong too?

Does Jesus care what you eat or ware?

Some cruiselines provide religious leadership, some don't. If you know what cruiseline you'll be on, you should post on the board here dedicated to your cruiseline.

A smaller and less red font, might cure my headache, if you wouldn't mind. :)

I like a bigger font...for my old eyes and I picked the red font for Christmas! Put on some sunglasses

Edited by preschool teacher

Here I thought all Christian religions are equal. Isn't a Christian a Christian and you need not concerned with which of the thousands of Christian religions you belong too?

Does Jesus care what you eat or ware?

just..NO. without getting into politics and baptists versus methodist versus CJCLDS, think of "Christian" being like America Australia and Great Britain: separated by a common Language.

only YOUR brand of Christendom is the "right' brand and everyone else is doing it wrong.

According to the rules, no, you should not have.

I was raised Roman Catholic and became an Episcopalian at age 40. I no longer receive communion in the Roman Catholic church because I'm an Episcopalian and I'm happy with that. When my son, OTOH, attended the funeral of his Italian Great-Grandmother, who died at the age of 102, and asked if he could go to communion even though he was Episcopalian, I told him that the National Council of Catholic Bishops and the Pope say he shouldn't, but they weren't around and it was up to him. He received communion, and was also moved to do so at a Mass in the Basilica of Sta. Maria Maggiore in Rome. DH and I were married in 2003 in a joyous Episcopal ceremony. Mom attended communion; Dad didn't. I respected the decisions of both.

So, yes, the Roman Catholic church hierarchy cares. Does Jesus care? I'm less certain about that.

According to the rules, no, you should not have.

So, yes, the Roman Catholic church hierarchy cares. Does Jesus care? I'm less certain about that.

But as you aren't Roman Catholic, you aren't subject to their rules.

If there's a priest willing to officiate at a Protestant service, chances are he won't start a public row about non-Catholics at mass. You may want to ask him, or he may prefer it if you don't ask him but just turn up. You won't be catechised on the spot.

Speaking as a Methodist, as far as I'm concerned communion is communion, whoever serves - ordained minister or lay person. It's what the recipient believes that matters, not ewhat the server believes. Jesus only told us to "do this in remembrance of Me", he didn't specify who else should be present.

But as you aren't Roman Catholic, you aren't subject to their rules.

If there's a priest willing to officiate at a Protestant service, chances are he won't start a public row about non-Catholics at mass. You may want to ask him, or he may prefer it if you don't ask him but just turn up. You won't be catechised on the spot.

Speaking as a Methodist, as far as I'm concerned communion is communion, whoever serves - ordained minister or lay person. It's what the recipient believes that matters, not ewhat the server believes. Jesus only told us to "do this in remembrance of Me", he didn't specify who else should be present.

Well, he did say that whenever two or three were gathered in His name, He too would be there.

My family was on the Jewel for this last Christmas. Someone asked the HD during our M&G if there were going to be a service and he said that unless someone was willing to do it, no. Since my DH is ordained, I volunteered him to do the service. Norwegian provided a large space (chapel was too small), bread and wine, and even put it in the Freestyle Daily. We had all kinds of people, even a few Catholics, who partook in communion. Being from a Protestant church, I would be that was the first time my DH had wine instead of grape juice for Communion.

Rickcommunion.jpg.969a0c3cb8a8937e3c978381d41ad89a.jpg

As an ordained United Methodist minister, I have led worship on cruise ships several times. It has always been a wonderful experience for me and allowed me to meet people in very different ways than I would normally meet people. On one Princess sailing there were no Roman Catholic priests on board. I offered to preside at Communion/Eucherist for them. They politely refused because of their belief in what actually happens to the elements during the consecration.

I also did a Protestant service on Epiphany (a couple of us on that roll call preplanned with the cruise line to have this service) and did serve communion. I still fondly recall that service as one of the most unique of my ministry. It was the first time I used wine along with the grape juce I had brought along. Because of the serving method, we used margarita glasses (no salt).

If only there was a way to know ahead of the sailing if there would be a need for service leadership.

There are old school Catholics that will tell you absolutely not if you are not a practicing Catholic. However I on the other hand was raised Catholic was always told that church doctrine does permit Christians of other religions who activity participate in communion in their own church to participate in Catholic Communion if they do so in there own church. The same is true if a Catholic attended a Protestant service.

Remember most of the laws in the Catholic church are man-made and not exact law. Being as though you are a Christian than follow your heart and please participate if you choose.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I was born and raised Catholic, though I have since converted to a non-denom Christian church. My in-laws are still very much hard core Catholics, and that's fine, though we do clash over religious views. I grew tired of the antiquated Catholic laws which have not kept up with the times over the past 1000 years or so. My view is this - Christians of every faith are all believing in the same God. These arguments over minor things really are petty. I go to church and pray to the same God that Catholics do, though not in so much a rehearsed and mechanical fashion as the Catholic Mass. My mother in law is so firm in her belief that the Catholic religion is the "ONLY" religion, that it's hard to imagine she still feels that way although the Bible states several times that Jesus is King of the Jews. I had challenged her to show me the specific passages where it says that Jesus is King of the Catholics. Needless to say, she stormed off in a hissy. That being said, I have my beliefs and I believe in God and Jesus, the same God and Jesus that other Christian beliefs believe in as well. I also feel that some denominations do take the Bible a bit too literally. There are some that feel the Bible was written as events happened, and others believe that the Bible is a collection of stories passed down and eventually recorded in a written form, so the accuracy of the Bible very well may be questionable. I personally feel that the Bible is intended to show us the right path to follow, and not necessarily a 100% accurate history lesson. Either way, do what you feel is the best thing to do. I really don't feel that the Lord will strike you down by lightning for trying to do what you feel is the right thing.

Hi, I have been reading all of the answers....thanks to everyone for their honest comments. I feel that if it only a catholic priest doing the service that I will partake in communion. Have a great Palm Sunday everyone!

And if that is what you feel most comfortable with, then it is your decision to make! Oh, and Happy Easter to you as well (in case I don't run across you in the next week).:)

I'm just going to give my two cents.

I am a devout, practicing Catholic. Do I get offended when someone takes communion that is not Catholic? No. I have no way of knowing whether they're a Catholic in good standing or not. But I would hope that everyone would respect the tenets of each other faiths and not knowingly and intentionally violate those tenets -- and that goes for whether the faith is Catholic or Jewish or Muslim or... I would NEVER intentionally do something that I knew was in violation of anyone's faith; and if I did so accidentally, I would certainly learn from it and not repeat it.

Pkay414.... I understand your point but after discussion here on my online reading I feel it is okay for to partake....you should google it.....times have changed somewhat from I read....I can't rewrite what I read but it gave me great insight....try it....blessings and I'm not tying to make this faith against faith.......

Cathy,

I, too, do not wish to make this a faith argument. The question was asked and I answered it.

I will not get into a theological debate, but the fact is that the Catholic faith teaches that unless you believe in the Consubstantiation of the Eucharist, then you should not participate in the Catholic communion sacrament.

Is someone going to card you before you get in line? No. Only you can make that decision -- you as in the "people." I just hope that people will think long and hard about just blatantly participating in something so personal to millions of people around the world when they are informed ahead of time that it is improper.

According to the 1993 Code of Canon Law, only Roman Catholics in good standing as well as members of the Orthodox Churches, certain Oriental Churches, Old Catholics, and Polish National Catholics in good standing may receive communioin in the Roman Catholic church, as they are all recognized by the Holy See.

Bottom line, now that the OP knows the Church's position, it would be inappropriate to receive communion during a Catholic mass.

The Catholic canon applies to Catholics. I know many Catholics who ignore it and take communion not having been absolved by confession, or who live in a state of sin such as divorce or who knows what other violations of a pure state to participate.

RCCI for some reason contracts with retired Catholic priests to provide religious services on cruises. In my experience those priests are willing to provide religious services to all who wish. In fact, although I don't think it necessary, if asked, I doubt that any I have met would deny communion to all who wish it, Protestant, Catholic, or other.

Christians come in many varieties and on an RCCI cruise, I am sure the intent is to provide a common means of Christian worship. They happen to contract with Catholic priests.

The OP, not being Catholic, is not subject to Catholic canon law or theology and is fully within her rights to take communion in her own way. I doubt that the priest even knowing that would deny her. But why ask and who would know? It somehow would diminish the service? I don't think so.

BTW, I am not even religious, but enjoy sitting in the back of the venue and watching and listening out of curiosity, but don't care to take part beyond that. It is often where the handicapped sit and twice I was offered communion when it was brought to the handicapped but I declined.

Edit: The last cruise I sat in on the Catholic mass, the priest didn't like the time provided by RCCi in the morning, so RCCI told him the venue was tied up at the time he preferred in the early evening and they could only provide a space in a bar lounge. I observed sitting at the bar smoking and drinking. There were other nonparticipants there who were all quiet and respectful. Fond memory.

Edited by jamessemaj