Looking for a Group Hug-Neighbor sailed on Grandeur today

I have been wanting to sail RCCL again and since we drive to ports, Baltimore would be perfect. However, I am deathly afraid of fire and have been dragging my feet about booking the Grandeur. Your report makes me even more fearful. :(

Oh no!

Don't let my Ding-a-ling neighbor influence your decision.

If concerned, start a thread here with the question. You will get plenty of opinions, answers, reasons from seasoned cruisers.

I'll let you know when they return next weekend. Hopefully she can calm down and relax a bit----get over that Bay Bridge disappointment!

First off, you rock as a neighbor. Quick suggestion if you can reach her by email or FB. There should be enough sunlight for her to see the Key Bridge on the return. I've tracked the timing so I can be up to see it from our balcony for our sailing next week. If on time, they have passed under the Key Bridge between 5:50am and 6:05am on most sailings. AND, The Bay Bridge timing is between 4:40am & 4:55am. I set an alarm to wake up and see the Sunshine Skyway Bridge returning to Tampa last year on Jewel and seeing it lit up was awesome.

Selfish follow up question to your PC update from your neighbor as we sail on Saturday. Did she provide a status on the noro risk and how they are handling food service and other precautions?

I have been wanting to sail RCCL again and since we drive to ports, Baltimore would be perfect. However, I am deathly afraid of fire and have been dragging my feet about booking the Grandeur. Your report makes me even more fearful. :(

Sorry Tinyrose, but if you have those fears, then it frankly does not matter what ship you would book. The potential to encounter any or all of the problems that Donut's neighbor encountered could happen on ANY ship, ANYTIME, and ANYWHERE in the world. Delays, illness, weather, etc. is NOT limited to the Grandeur, RCI, or Baltimore. Anyone who has traveled, be it extensively or not, should understand that stuff happens, and to focus on the negative does nothing to help the situation.

To OP (Donut): You tried to help your neighbor manage her expectations, but it clearly backfired. I really feel for you, and sending a hug.

Selfish follow up question to your PC update from your neighbor as we sail on Saturday. Did she provide a status on the noro risk and how they are handling food service and other precautions?

Not a selfish question at all AeroBaldness! I am curious too! ;) I'm sure if her neighbor didn't mention it, the last thing in the world Donut23 would want to do is bring it up! :eek:;) Being a first-time cruiser, the neighbor probably wouldn't know what is "normal" and what isn't anyway. And, if she isn't sick herself, she probably forgot all about the "Noro" risk unless there are reports of illness, of which I am CERTAIN she would have complained about to Donut23! :p

So, for those of us boarding the ship this Saturday, the apparent lack of complaints from Donut23's neighbor about sickness, is a good sign! :D (Unless, of course, she DID complain and Donut23 just didn't mention every little complaint in her post). ;)

Two things from this cruise lover.

1. You are a wonderful neighbour... thoughtful, patient and kind.

2. She had decided BEFORE she even got to the pier that she was going to dislike this experience... Therefore honestly, I think you have gone above and beyond the realm of common sense... she is a "negative nelly" and I hope that her poor attitude isn't reflected on those around her, especially a staff that has worked hard to make everyone's vacation the best it can be.

Again, I commend you on your helpful nature. I hope the next time you spend all that time and energy it is for someone who will appreciate it!

HUGS to you !!!!!

Chass

Two things from this cruise lover.

1. You are a wonderful neighbour... thoughtful, patient and kind.

2. She had decided BEFORE she even got to the pier that she was going to dislike this experience... Therefore honestly, I think you have gone above and beyond the realm of common sense... she is a "negative nelly" and I hope that her poor attitude isn't reflected on those around her, especially a staff that has worked hard to make everyone's vacation the best it can be.

Again, I commend you on your helpful nature. I hope the next time you spend all that time and energy it is for someone who will appreciate it!

HUGS to you !!!!!

Chass

You are right. I think she had decided before she left home, perhaps without even realizing it.

You know what? She did not mention anything about Noro at all. She squeezed in lots of complaints so those boarding on Saturday, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Murphy has taken his Noro somewhere else.

About 18 months ago my health began to fail.....just was not feeling well. My neighbor kept very close watch and worry over me until I finally gave in one night and was rushed to the hospital. Heart surgery quickly followed. To this day she still sneaks into my garage and takes out my garbage and recycle bins for me on trash night.

Hubby works in NYC (long story) and makes it here every other weekend for long weekends. He worries less about me because she is next door.

She is a wonderful neighbor and I have watched her budding romance with tremendous joy.

She apparently just isn't a good "group-minded" traveler.

Everyone has been so kind.

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Donut23

OP's neighbor's cruise gets in tomorrow. My MIL and FIL were talking about going to Bermuda so we, us and DH's sisters, got them a huge gift certificate for RCI to do the Bermuda cruise (we, us and inlaws, live 25 minutes from port of Balt). I helped inlaws use gift cert to book April 26th on the Grandeur. They, just this week, called RCI and tried to re-book for a later date because they are terrified of the Noro. As you all know, they could not get re-booked for later so they will be going on 4/26. If their cruise goes badly I am afraid I will never hear the end of it. They are cruise pros though, so I am not not too worried as long as they don't get sick. Their last cruise, on HAL, FIL ended up with pnemonia right after they got off and was really sick and hospitalized. They were convinced he got it on the ship so it will be bad if they get sick on this cruise too. They are already saying that they'll never book RCI again, since RCI wouldn't let them re-book a later date.

Update-from their Port Canaveral Day

Well, she is not at all happy. They left at 7:45 instead of 6 pm as announced. They were an hour late arriving in port today. She said the trip to Disneyworld was cancelled because of the delay. Really? For an hour.

Rough seas, using her patch. Used my medical kit but can't remember why.

She called about the rocket launch which was postponed an hour before launch. "OK, what ELSE is going to go wrong".

Apparently her beau has cruised on Holland America and they always leave promptly. (Really? With lines of guests still on the pier to board.)

I asked if she would have left all those people in line behind. She said yes. They missed seeing the Bridges in the daylight.

WHEW.

It sounded like she was with a group. Perhaps they had fallen into a group of complainers-----we have probably all seen them. Nothing is right. They want a refund.

I now think they probably should look at holidays where they do not travel in large groups----dependent on others.

Sorry for the grumpy update.

Again. Thank you for the pat in the back when I needed it. I think I just learned a very valuable lesson. Butt out.

You sound like a really nice person, sorry your neighbor is unhappy with basically everything. Some people are very "lost" in life, that's all I can say. You tried to do the right thing and it backfired. Unfortunately we can't all be the "go with the flow and enjoy life" type.

People like that should stay home.

I have been watching the progress of the ship. They are currently off Cape Hatteras. This could be a rough patch as the currents keep the water pretty busy here even when it's calm.

Nothing on the local news about another delayed turnaround/departure yet....but they found out later in the day on Friday.

My fingers are crossed for all who depart tomorrow. May you have nothing but fair winds, sunny skys and a silly mountains of fruit in your blender drinks.

I will let you know when I hear.

Edited by Donut23

I have been watching the progress of the ship. They are currently off Cape Hatteras. This could be a rough patch as the currents keep the water pretty busy here even when it's calm.

Nothing on the local news about another delayed turnaround/departure yet....but they found out later in the day on Friday.

My fingers are crossed for all who depart tomorrow. May you have nothing but fair winds, sunny skys and a silly mountains of fruit in your blender drinks.

I will let you know when I hear.

Keep us posted. Good or bad ;).

Keep us posted. Good or bad ;).

Sorry I'm late everyone. We have had a family tragedy. Earlier this week my Jim's Mother fell at her Assisted Living Apartment and shattered her knee. She got her new knee Tuesday. While she was in surgery, his Dad fell down a flight of stairs en-route to the hospital and broke both hips and an arm. His surgery was Thursday. He died earlier today. I'm packing for a drive to New York tomorrow.

Now, for the Grandeur........

I would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING nice my neighbor said about her trip. Much Royal Caribbean had no control over. She REALLY never got over leaving late. Shore excursion was not what she expected (but she didn't read about it before boarding), was not a completely all inclusive experience, that is a Travel Agent issue.

They did have frequent flier Grandeur cruisers at their dinner table who apparently kept telling them how unusual this cruise was. Now can you imagine loving the Grandeur and dining with the Grumpy's every night.

She said the crew didnt care but later said after 2 weeks fighting Noro they had "nothing left in the tank". She did say they cleaned all the time.

Too many children unsupervised by their parents and she was upset the CREW did not handle it. Kids running through the dancing area (they love to dance) and parents just watched and laughed. She is a school teacher so she is restricted when she can cruise.

Food forgettable. Bread not warm-dry-2 days old, would not leave a basket on the table. Ok, I'm addicted to their little round rolls. We liberate a few daily from the Jammer for our cabin!

Much of it was she never bothered to learn about cruising. If she had read info on Royal Caribbean's website or came here (I gave her links to both) she would have had a good overview.

She didn't like the lectures. She hated Cocoa Cay----too hot, too far to walk out for deep water, no place to sit, lines too long for lunch, BBQ awful.

Wait! Wait! She DID say the ship was clean!!!!!!! :-)

After 40 minutes I fussed with the ringtone on my cell phone so it would ring so I would have an excuse to escape.

Sorry I'm late everyone. We have had a family tragedy. Earlier this week my Jim's Mother fell at her Assisted Living Apartment and shattered her knee. She got her new knee Tuesday. While she was in surgery, his Dad fell down a flight of stairs en-route to the hospital and broke both hips and an arm. His surgery was Thursday. He died earlier today. I'm packing for a drive to New York tomorrow.

Now, for the Grandeur........

I would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING nice my neighbor said about her trip. Much Royal Caribbean had no control over. She REALLY never got over leaving late. Shore excursion was not what she expected (but she didn't read about it before boarding), was not a completely all inclusive experience, that is a Travel Agent issue.

They did have frequent flier Grandeur cruisers at their dinner table who apparently kept telling them how unusual this cruise was. Now can you imagine loving the Grandeur and dining with the Grumpy's every night.

She said the crew didnt care but later said after 2 weeks fighting Noro they had "nothing left in the tank". She did say they cleaned all the time.

Too many children unsupervised by their parents and she was upset the CREW did not handle it. Kids running through the dancing area (they love to dance) and parents just watched and laughed. She is a school teacher so she is restricted when she can cruise.

Food forgettable. Bread not warm-dry-2 days old, would not leave a basket on the table. Ok, I'm addicted to their little round rolls. We liberate a few daily from the Jammer for our cabin!

Much of it was she never bothered to learn about cruising. If she had read info on Royal Caribbean's website or came here (I gave her links to both) she would have had a good overview.

She didn't like the lectures. She hated Cocoa Cay----too hot, too far to walk out for deep water, no place to sit, lines too long for lunch, BBQ awful.

Wait! Wait! She DID say the ship was clean!!!!!!! :-)

After 40 minutes I fussed with the ringtone on my cell phone so it would ring so I would have an excuse to escape.

Sorry to hear both stories. Many blessings to you and your family. I subscribed to your post earlier, as it was so intriguing I read it to my sister. Both of us were looking forward to a follow-up.

Hugs from a fellow CC member.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your in-laws. When you compare the two sad tales, that one is by far the most significant.

Your neighbor can stuff it :p

I've only ever helped one person (a co-worker) pick out a cruise and thankfully it went off without a hitch. I was SO nervous because it was only his second cruise and it was on Princess out of Houston and they've had so much trouble with that port. Happily, my co-worker had a nice time but I think he still prefers Carnival :confused:

Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone.

Jim and I talked and talked on the phone tonight. He cried, I listened. Then I read my post to him about my neighbor 's cruise.

Perhaps he is a RCI loyalist. Perhaps he just needed the distraction. We had such a nice time talking about all our wonderful cruises, our upcoming Akaska trip only 41 days away now and cruises yet to discover.

It was nice to take him away to lovely memories of places and people we discovered cruising.

Donut, I'm so sorry about your in-laws.

As far as your neighbor, chalk it up to lesson learned. She took absolutely no responsibility for doing any of the right things to position herself better for knowing what to expect. Other than all the information you provided, she walked into the whole thing blindly. And with unreasonable expectations. You are a good friend. And I'm sending you a big <hug>.

Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone.

Jim and I talked and talked on the phone tonight. He cried, I listened. Then I read my post to him about my neighbor 's cruise.

Perhaps he is a RCI loyalist. Perhaps he just needed the distraction. We had such a nice time talking about all our wonderful cruises, our upcoming Akaska trip only 41 days away now and cruises yet to discover.

It was nice to take him away to lovely memories of places and people we discovered cruising.

Donut, we are sending warm thoughts, hugs and wishes to you and Jim during this difficult time.

Your neighbour's cruise is the same reason to why we are nervous to convince friends to try it. Newbie's either love it or hate it. However, it is your combined love of cruising that is giving the two of you some distraction that is now needed. After the week that you have experienced your 41 day countdown will seem to take forever to complete, yet you will wonder where the time went.

Our sincerest condolences.

Andrew and Lisa

Many hugs, I am so sorry to hear about your in laws. Puts life in perspective, doesn't it? I think your neighbour is very unfeeling to unload all that negativity given all the time you spent helping her on her cruise, but even more so given your own family tragedy.

Donut23 - I send big bear hugs and prayers. What a week for you and your family.

I feel your pain with your neighbor. I don't try to talk anyone into trying a cruise - but I do love cruising - and love talking about cruising. So, we have friends joining us for our October lobster cruise. I am a bit concerned, because she always said she had a thing about sleeping on the water. Hopefully, she has figured out how to get around that. :D

We are looking forward to a great cruise. Period.