I'm the only one who likes to eat in the Main Dining Room...

mawmawmaw123

Hi everyone. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm going with my family on another cruise this summer. There are six members of my family going on the cruise, my parents, my younger sister, and my two younger brothers.

The problem is that I'm pretty much the only one in my family who likes to eat in the main dining room. I like to order things from the menu and I like the food there, much better than the lido buffet. I'd actually eat there all three meals of the day if I could. But everyone else in my family is impatient and says it's too slow and that the lido restaurant is much better. I've tried to convince them that the MDR is better but they won't listen to me! Sometimes when we eat at the MDR members of my family just start leaving until there's sometimes only 2 people left at the table! My mom always complains that she's too tired, my dad wants to go watch tv, my sister just goes along with them.

So how can I get them to eat at the MDR? I don't want to be the only one there. My dad says for me to go there alone if I want to go there so badly but I don't want to be there alone! Help!

Hi everyone. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm going with my family on another cruise this summer. There are six members of my family going on the cruise, my parents, my younger sister, and my two younger brothers.

The problem is that I'm pretty much the only one in my family who likes to eat in the main dining room. I like to order things from the menu and I like the food there, much better than the lido buffet. I'd actually eat there all three meals of the day if I could. But everyone else in my family is impatient and says it's too slow and that the lido restaurant is much better. I've tried to convince them that the MDR is better but they won't listen to me! Sometimes when we eat at the MDR members of my family just start leaving until there's sometimes only 2 people left at the table! My mom always complains that she's too tired, my dad wants to go watch tv, my sister just goes along with them.

So how can I get them to eat at the MDR? I don't want to be the only one there. My dad says for me to go there alone if I want to go there so badly but I don't want to be there alone! Help!

Yes

Can't you all compromise, and maybe agree to eat there on 1/2 the nights, and eat at the buffet the other 1/2? Or eat lunch in the dr instead of dinner - much faster service. Also - if you tell your servers you are "fast eaters" and need to be out for a show or something, they will get you out faster!

Hate to agree with your family but we never eat in the MDR. Did it once on our first cruise and just decided we'd rather eat Lido or at one of the specialty restaurants and spend the time out on deck. But they should agree to go at least a couple of times with you.

Have you made new friends on a cruise, maybe in the teen club or around the pool? Perhaps you could invite one or more to go with you to the MDR. You might arrange to go with a friend's family, just you as sort of an extra family member. If there is a problem with seating, perhaps the head waiter or other official could make arrangements for you. Be sure you introduce your friend to your parents and that they meet the friend's parents first.

Well, that stinks. :( I hope you can convince your family to go with you at least a couple of nights. We've cruised with friends who don't like to eat in the dining room. Some nights we eat with them at the buffet and some nights my husband and I go together to the dining room. I like the dining room for dinner better too.

And ask your mom to go with you to sea day brunch. It's so good and a fun way to have some ladies' time.

Good luck!

I just debarked from the Conquest this morning and I have to say that the food inthe lido buffet was absolutely horrible. Not just once but every time I tried to eat there. It may be faster but if you are looking for a meal with food you can enjoy stay away from the buffet. I still cannot figure out what species the eggs on the mirning buffet came from...I don't think it was a chicken. I was not looking for gormet food from the buffet but what I found was food such as meats and cheeses being served iff of dishes not kept at temps that will stop spoilage or bad things from growing and main dishes that ranged from bland to downright inedible.

I agree you will probably have to compromise and eat some on the mdr and some in lido. If your family will not compromise then ypu should eat some if your meals in the mdr. There are always people you can talk to.

Jim

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Have them switch to ATD and go by yourself and get seated at a larger table with other people.

We always have a good time meeting other people at the larger tables, that would make going by yourself not seem such a lonely thing.

Can't you all compromise, and maybe agree to eat there on 1/2 the nights, and eat at the buffet the other 1/2? Or eat lunch in the dr instead of dinner - much faster service. Also - if you tell your servers you are "fast eaters" and need to be out for a show or something, they will get you out faster!

Hopefully we can do some sort of compromise. Thanks for the tips!

Have you made new friends on a cruise, maybe in the teen club or around the pool? Perhaps you could invite one or more to go with you to the MDR. You might arrange to go with a friend's family, just you as sort of an extra family member. If there is a problem with seating, perhaps the head waiter or other official could make arrangements for you. Be sure you introduce your friend to your parents and that they meet the friend's parents first.

I'm not a very social person so that wouldn't work for me.

My D.W and I prefer the MDR over the Lido. the food in the Lido is not as good or is left over from the MDR, besides a lot of people who eat on the Lido tend to over eat which is not healthy for anyone.

Edited by Securityman

Depends on our day....

I won't miss Lobster night:rolleyes:

This year we have booked both the Steakhouse, and Cucina Del Capitano

So, that's two nights out of the MDR.......

Assuming we'll just do a night or two at the Lido buffet....

So, we should end up with two or three nights at MDR........

Honestly, it just takes too long!!!!

Try the Roll Call for your cruise. Maybe you can meet other teens who would like to dine with you. I also think it's an opportunity for Carnival to organize something for teens besides the the teen club. Maybe a table in Any Time Dining just for teens who want to dine together or DON"T want to dine with their parents no matter where the parents are dining.

It's a shame your family won't compromise. It's your vacation too.

Edited by Boozebabe

Have them switch to ATD and go by yourself and get seated at a larger table with other people.

We always have a good time meeting other people at the larger tables, that would make going by yourself not seem such a lonely thing.

I agree that Anytime Dining might be a good choice. Maybe with a more flexible time your family would be more willing to eat in the MDR. With ATD if you meet friends onboard who also are ATD you could eat dinner there together. Maybe if it is a time thing ATD will help. Tell the waiter that you would like to have your courses out faster or maybe skip the appetizers and go straight to your main course.

I hope you find a solution. Have a great cruise! :)

I purposely picked 8:15pm dinner time instead of 6pm or your time dining due to both saying waitlist aka long wait time to be served (I can see it being 15-30 minutes waiting to be seated). And the buffet is probably no better either because you have to find a empty seat or table to sit and everyone is doesn't want to wait for the MDR are going to be there too. I don't think I want to picture how the lines are at the food stations, it probably looks bad....:confused:

It looks like you're the only one in your immediate family with patience and bit of foresight planning skills regarding where to eat - be afraid, be very afraid regarding other aspects of your homelife. (I'm actually had to stop planning all family vacations & get togethers and just plan for myself because they say one thing and do the complete opposite - its annoying to say the least. Don't even get me start on money issues...). :rolleyes:

My suggestion - ask the maitre to seat you with other singles or a table that's needs just one more person to fill out. Let your family eat at the buffet (and it will spare you the drama at the MDR if they decide to get up and go without warning). Enjoy yourself and your family will probably be jealous of you (It happens to me all the time with them sometimes I have to act 'depress" or "sad" so they can't catch on that had a wonderful time - got to love soul-suckers, lol) :cool:

We love the main dining room. Cannot see why they would not like it.Service and food are much better than lido.The spec. restaurants are good also. :):) Bill

I purposely picked 8:15pm dinner time instead of 6pm or your time dining due to both saying waitlist aka long wait time to be served (I can see it being 15-30 minutes waiting to be seated). And the buffet is probably no better either because you have to find a empty seat or table to sit and everyone is doesn't want to wait for the MDR are going to be there too. I don't think I want to picture how the lines are at the food stations, it probably looks bad....:confused:

Wait listed does not mean long lines or waits, it just means the dining session is nearing full. If they get enough people waitlisted they may open another level or rearrange some other seatings to make more for a given type of dining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Even though you say you're not very social, I would still recommend going to meet teens in the clubs and arranged activities. On my last cruise I saw a few tables of teens/younger adults as friends in the MDR especially on elegant night (teen girls dressing up pretty together) and on seaday brunch.

On the seaday brunch I saw a table of four boys between 10-14 (or there abouts) and they sat and had a very civilised meal together. At the end though, I couldn't help laugh, one of them asked if he had to sign for the meal..... the waiters had a little joke with him and made up a bill, the boy freaked out thinking his mother was going to kill him for the expense of his 'bill'.

They very quickly told him it was a joke though, and he saw the funny side!!!

I think this is a perfect answer. I personally love to eat in the MDR -I like getting waited on while on vacation since I'm the one who waits on everyone else while at home. Plus, the food is much better there as you said.

Hi everyone. I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm going with my family on another cruise this summer.

The problem is that I'm pretty much the only one in my family who likes to eat in the main dining room.

Well, I have to say you have class! We usually eat our evening meals in the dining room but occasionally breakfast and lunch at least once on the cruise.

In the "olden days" cruising was linked with luxury and yes, "class of person" or at least class of money. If you had money, you would dine in the 1st class dining room.

We have lost all that now for the most part as our society has changed but for me, the MDR sort of recaptures the long lost eloquence of cruising. And like you, I enjoy ordering from the menu and being served.

You have heard the old saying "Birds of a feather flock together." I bet you will some other teens on board who will enjoy going to dining room with you. And also, maybe you can talk your parents into going to the steakhouse one night. That is a really nice dinner setting.

Best of luck to you!

just one day, go to the MDR and ask to be seated with other young people. you may not be " very social "but who knows, you may enjoy it! I was shy as a teen, I missed out on a lot of fun because of it. PLEASE go to the MDR, just one time by yourself!!!! good luck and have fun!!