Special dietary restriction question

espo56

Can someone please tell me if I have to make special arrangements to have my carbs replaced by veggies in the MDR. I am a Type 2 Diabetic. Do I have to make arrangements in advance, with the MD on deck or just tell my waiter.

Thanks in advance m

Edited by espo56

Can someone please tell me if I have to make special arrangements to have my carbs replaced by veggies in the MDR. I am a Type 2 Diabetic. Do I have to make arrangements in advance, with the MD on deck or just tell my waiter.

Thanks in advance m

Just tell your waiter -- hold the potato and rice!! We dined in Blu and my wife asked the waiter to bring a bowl of steamed veggies. No problem whatsoever. If they bring you a potato, just don't eat it. :rolleyes:

Have it noted on your booking, talk to the maître d upon boarding & tell your waiter the first night. They deal with this every day, it's not an issue for them, they just need to know. Our wonderful waiter (Froilan on Equinox) actually brought a family style platter of marvelous al dente green vegetables every evening--marvelous touch--really enjoyed it. Watch some of the soups & sauces--lots of carbs there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More than welcome!

Now, we are on the Equinox doing the sailing you did back in 2011. Been to Coz & Cayman, the rest are new. Looking for something in Columbia, any thoughts?

EW

Check this board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=500

I did that cruise in 2011 and our roll call formed private tours in almost every port. In Colombia we used Claudia. Had a WONDERFUL time! I highly recommend her. You can find her contact information on that CC board.

Thanks in advance m

While not on a restricted diet we always ask for a side dish of steamed veggies as they don't include many veggies on the main plates. They usually bring a large plate or platter full to share at the table. Sometimes when you ask to have a substitute such as this they'll bring the entrée plate with the items you don't want and then a side dish of the items you wanted substituted. I think this is much quicker for the waiters as they can still just pick up the plates in their main queue in the kitchen and don't have to wait for a special order. So if you really can't have the starch items on your plate at all then let them know when you order.

Edited by Lsimon

I suddenly find myself in a similar situation, but the problem is salt, not sugar. I came home from my last cruise with swollen fingers and ankles, and an abnormally high blood pressure reading. My doctor wants me to request a low-sodium diet, on future cruises.

So, my question, for those of you who know, is: Do I need to contact the "special needs" dept. at X, in advance of my cruise? Or, can I just talk to the maitre'd, once we are onboard? I don't have problems with breakfast -- usually just yogurt or cereal and fruit. And, we have lunch in the "healthier" Aqua Spa Cafe, most days. Where I'm running into problems is dinner in the MDR. On our last cruise, I had to send several dishes back, just for being too salty. Even doing that (and drinking bottled water), I had serious problems by the end of the cruise. :(

I suddenly find myself in a similar situation, but the problem is salt, not sugar. I came home from my last cruise with swollen fingers and ankles, and an abnormally high blood pressure reading. My doctor wants me to request a low-sodium diet, on future cruises.

So, my question, for those of you who know, is: Do I need to contact the "special needs" dept. at X, in advance of my cruise? Or, can I just talk to the maitre'd, once we are onboard? I don't have problems with breakfast -- usually just yogurt or cereal and fruit. And, we have lunch in the "healthier" Aqua Spa Cafe, most days. Where I'm running into problems is dinner in the MDR. On our last cruise, I had to send several dishes back, just for being too salty. Even doing that (and drinking bottled water), I had serious problems by the end of the cruise. :(

We've had that problem too and found that switching to bottled water for 100% of our plain drinking water cured the problem. The only ship's water we drink now is that in ice, coffee and tea. We drink a lot of water so before this change we drank a lot of ship's tap water.

We eat a relatively low salt diet at home and I'm sure both the diet, and cooking, on the ship contribute to the problem but switching to bottled water eliminated the selling/bloating issue for us. We've also found we've had to cut back on certain foods on the ship like soups if they were salty. I also tend to overdo some foods on the ship which I don't have at home like Asian foods made with soy sauce and other foods that are typically high in salt so I have to watch myself with those if I feel as if I've had too much salt. I've never had to request low salt specific foods but understand there are others who do this through discussions with the restaurant managers. The managers are much more helpful with dietary issues than most waiters and food servers.

We've had that problem too and found that switching to bottled water for 100% of our plain drinking water cured the problem. The only ship's water we drink now is that in ice, coffee and tea. We drink a lot of water so before this change we drank a lot of ship's tap water.

We eat a relatively low salt diet at home and I'm sure both the diet, and cooking, on the ship contribute to the problem but switching to bottled water eliminated the selling/bloating issue for us. We've also found we've had to cut back on certain foods on the ship like soups if they were salty. I also tend to overdo some foods on the ship which I don't have at home like Asian foods made with soy sauce and other foods that are typically high in salt so I have to watch myself with those if I feel as if I've had too much salt. I've never had to request low salt specific foods but understand there are others who do this through discussions with the restaurant managers. The managers are much more helpful with dietary issues than most waiters and food servers.

Larry -- thanks -- you are always a great resource! :)

I have tried most of those tactics, over the years. I won't even order the hot soups anymore -- because I know they will be too salty. And, sadly, X seems to be limiting their chilled soup offerings. So, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and ask for a reduced sodium menu for dinner. I guess our best bet would be to drop by the desk of the maite'd, as soon as we board, to request that option.