Best Norwegian Sun balcony cabins for sailing South America

clojacks

Norwegian has said (by way of a press release awhile ago, that none of their agents seem to know about) that they were going to be opening up the Sun to latitudes members tomorrow, the 15th, for South American bookings for early 2016. One of their phone customer service representatives that I just talked to, hasn't seen any information about the SA itineraries, dates, or prices. I'm HOPING that the press release, that also mentioned the Escape and some other newsy items and releases is accurate, but right now, I'm not optimistic. In any case, I'm looking for suggestions, if it does come out, on preferred balcony cabins for this voyage.

When I did South America several years ago it was on the Sun and I had an aft balcony.

I would do it again in a minute.

It was a great location to see out both sides and enjoy every day.

Go for it.

Jim

Yes, I agree.

If you can't get aft-facing, then get port side balcony from Valpa to Buenos, or starboard side from Buenos to Valpa.

Yes, I agree.

If you can't get aft-facing, then get port side balcony from Valpa to Buenos, or starboard side from Buenos to Valpa.

Another vote for aft, we did one of the last Sun cruises to SA it was one of our most memorable cruises 19 days.

We did Feb. Loved it. Was in aft PH. I did the Antarctic Landing. Pricey but once- in-a-lifetime stuff. Great ship. Great itinerary. Loved it./QUOTE]

We are planning to book the SA itinerary on the Sun too and have picked out our stateroom category. We won't be able to see any excursion info for some time. I'd love to know more about the Antarctic Landing.

We did Feb. Loved it. Was in aft PH. I did the Antarctic Landing. Pricey but once- in-a-lifetime stuff. Great ship. Great itinerary. Loved it./QUOTE]

We are planning to book the SA itinerary on the Sun too and have picked out our stateroom category. We won't be able to see any excursion info for some time. I'd love to know more about the Antarctic Landing.

When you look at SA excursion prices you need to ne sitting down. In 2009 the cost was $1,499 for a 12 hour excursion. But they threw in a parka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you look at SA excursion prices you need to ne sitting down. In 2009 the cost was $1,499 for a 12 hour excursion. But they threw in a parka.

Ok that is about what I thought. You have me sold on the aft penthouse as well. Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aft is nice because you are protected from the wind in the chillier climes but another possibility is either of the two forward facing balconies on the pool deck. Windy at times but great views from their HUGE balconies.

DDP and wanted to make the Antarctic landing but in 2010 the price was $2,499 per person as I recall which was too rich for our wallets. Also, you weren't guaranteed to get to Antarctica - if weather meant you couldn't land there you were required to pay for and take the flight ($1,999) to Torres del Paine. On our sailing they weren't able to go so there were some unhappy folks.

We were on the last sailing late April til early May, weather was cooler and fewer penguins in some places BUT we were the only ship left sailing so it made all the ports very nice as we had them to ourselves.

No matter what cabin you choose, it is a GREAT trip!

Maybe it was $2,499??? Either way it really was worth it.

As my friend Clay said there are no guarantees that the excursion will even happen. Conditions have to be nearly perfect for tge plane to land on the gravel runway.

We were told that the 3 cruises before us and thr 3 after us had been no-goes! So it was truly fate that we had such great conditions.

I still can't believe I actually stood on Antarctica.

Maybe it was $2,499??? Either way it really was worth it.

As my friend Clay said there are no guarantees that the excursion will even happen. Conditions have to be nearly perfect for tge plane to land on the gravel runway.

We were told that the 3 cruises before us and thr 3 after us had been no-goes! So it was truly fate that we had such great conditions.

I still can't believe I actually stood on Antarctica.

Ya know , one of these days " That" cabin will be unattainable ..

And its gonna be all your fault... :mad:

I heard the forward Bow suites are really the best for views ... :D

Ya know , one of these days " That" cabin will be unattainable ..

And its gonna be all your fault... :mad:

I heard the forward Bow suites are really the best for views ... :D

Think you're right. :)

My Oct cruise in THAT one is pricey.

Price would be less if you would sublet the sofa bed to me! :D

Clay, it is not big enough for you and my mom. Haha. Rumour has it you have long legs anyways. :)

Clay, it is not big enough for you and my mom. Haha. Rumour has it you have long legs anyways. :)

And dont forget . You said I get the little shelter on the end of the balcony..;)

Do you remember this add ? Half off second guest ..

Think they will still hold the line ? :p:D

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=SouthAmericaSun

How did you find that? That's how DDP and I were able to afford the cruise. As I recall, our cruise fare in 9077 (at the time aft balconies on Sun were the least expensive category) for about $900 a person....a few months after we booked, NCL announced they were pulling out of SA and not only did the ship sail out, bi put lots of folks paid more for a deck 4 inside than we did for the aft!

Party time for all. I have the Absolut and blender.

Party time but no place to rest my head! You are such a tease!

Do me a favor and drop me an email. Need to ask you a question. Email me at BigNCBear@aol.com

Edited by Clay Clayton

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked January 30, 2016. Cabin 9076. Thank you Donna! I see many new threads popping up asking those of you who have been for advice. Thanks everybody was all you good advice and words of encouragement already. Also started a roll call. As others have said yippee!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app