Rome Cabs

SID1962

[quote

No big deal. Really. But the vast majority of cruisers do not bring that much stuff.

You are certainly in the minority if you compare to other cruisers. Maybe not on your ship but certainly a minority among the cruising public.

If you've taken long cruises (over 21 days), you would know that some people bring huge amounts of luggage. On shorter cruises, obviously, not as much would be needed, but based on my personal observation, the majority of cruisers do bring excess luggage ... regardless of length of cruise

Well yes I would agree with you that people bring more stuff on long cruises but that truly has something to do with the demographic that would take a 21 day cruise. Call it a generational divide thing. It doesn't make my opinion wrong though.

I am still at the point that 12 day cruises are my max time plus a week between pre and post.

However I and my family which includes 4 teens/ young adult females do it with 21 inch luggage and a tote. And we still feel we have too much stuff at times and btw we all look fabulous in our formal portraits on board.

But I can assure of one one thing though that if and when I do take a 21 day cruise I will maybe go up to a 25 inch piece of luggage and a tote. Tops!!

Black slacks and dressy tops work and can be worn numerous times as do capris and tops. One sweater in a neutral color works too

But regardless of my thinking versus yours the reality is that anyone who can be fortunate enough to do a 21 day cruise now would be probably 20 years my senior give or take and certainly have a different mindset

There is nothing wrong with that and should be expected.

However I assure you my mindset will not change and when I am ready for a 21 day cruise I will still be packing light

Again just a generational difference and a normal aspect of differing age brackets and demographics

However if you tell me you are under 40 it would surprise me you take so much stuff. Brad and Angelina notwithstanding. Lol.

Edited by Crusin6

Just a tip, the name "ROME CABS" is a misnomer. They are NOT an ordinary taxi cab. They are a private transfer company. There were 6 of us, the driver called the hotel the morning of pick-up to confirm pick-up time, arrived early with a brand new Mercedes Van.

Driver spoke limited English, but enough to get by and his concentration was on the road as it was pouring rain. While not licensed guides, they are certainly more than a taxi cab.

Hope the OP had a great trip!

Crusin6, it's fine by me that you choose to travel light ... it's fine by me that others choose to travel less-than-light ... whatever and how much any individual chooses to pack is up to them and no one else ... and it shouldn't matter to anyone else ...

Getting back to the topic at hand ...

Rome Cabs is a truly wonderful company ... they also do private tours in & around Rome, and I believe in some other cities as well. I have not used them for this yet, but the next time we're in Italy we plan to set up some private tours with them. We still have a lot to see!

Also, you can request an English-speaking driver. I don't know if there is an extra charge for this.

Well just to be very clear lady chew as this is a thread about a car service the size of their vehicles and their costs not to mention their high level of efficiency

Rome cabs has different prices for their vehicles in addition to different prices for different length of rides

So if 2 people are traveling light then they could certainly just get a Mercedes sedan. Which is one price. Lower

So if 2 people are traveling with6 to 8 pieces if luggage you must tell rome cabs that fact and they will send a Mercedes can which will have space for the luggage. Although stefano is so efficient he will be sure to confirm the luggage amount

The price will be higher even if just 2 people

So the amount if luggage does matter especially when it is just 2 people

For a group of 3 or more Rome cabs will in most if not all cases suggest a van as the luggage will be the issue even though 3 adults and driver can certainly fit in a sedan the luggage might not

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a western Med cruise on the Epic. We used RomeCabs for our transfer and they were excellent. Our pick up time was 8:00 but he got there at 7:30 which was great because we were off the ship by 7:15 and thought we were going to have to stand outside waiting for 45 minutes.We were at the airport before 8:30. Could have taken an earlier flight if I had known there was not customs to go through.Another group of our friends used them for tours of Rome before the cruise and were really pleased. I booked back in February I think and didn't hear back from them again. But they were right there on time. The driver even called the office to make sure our group were going to the right terminal since one of us had a different flight. Our fee was $200 for eight people.

Just to reinforce others' reports, we have used Stefano's Romecabs twice for transfers from Civitavecchia port to Fiumicino airport, and will be doing so again next month. (As others have said, despite the name it's not a taxicab company.) The experience was flawless every time, with spotless Mercedes cars and uniformed, English-speaking drivers waiting for us literally at the foot of the gangplank. The price was competitive.

As to confirmations, their new automated email system does seem to leave one hanging, but I intend simply to send an email before we leave home, requesting re-confirmation. They have always responded promptly to every other email I've sent, so I have no worries on this.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used Romecabs 4 times in the past for Rome tours and are completely satisfied. All of the drivers were friendly, informative, timely and kept clean vehicles.

Our most recent cruise, we used them 3 more times. We booked transfer from FCO to our hotel in Rome and from the ship back to FCO. We also booked them for a short tour and transfer from our hotel to the ship. Once again, they did not disappoint.

I will use Romecabs every time I am in Rome and need transportation.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We recently use Rome Cabs (2nd time) and their service was outstanding! We were a group of 6 (with lots of luggage) and used their services from the airport to our hotel in Rome, hotel to Port, and port back to our hotel. They are reliable, on time, very professional and have very friendly drivers. Their vehicles are also very comfortable. We would certainly use them again with no concerns whatsoever and highly recommend them. All fees are preset and prepaid. We tipped them 15%. Very well deserved.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently used RomeCabs for a transfer from the Airport to our hotel. Our flight was six hours late but they were there waiting for us. Our driver was extremely friendly and courteous. We used them again a few days later for our transfer to the port from our hotel. We did a ride share with 6 others from the CC Board. They picked us up at different locations throughout Rome and dropped us all at the port. Easy easy easy. It was much more cost effective to share. So if you can find some folks on the board, I highly recommend this company.

If you are on the plane and the plane is delayed stefano will still have a driver waiting. He follows the flights of course

I always send him a text or email just confirming we are boarding our flight from the airport

I also send him one 48 hours prior to boarding in case there are any questions

Never a problem with Rome cabs

Just another resounding endorsement for ROME CABS. STEFANO and his excellent/friendly staff in (1) 2008 provided round-trip airport/hotel transfers, round-trip hotel/cruise terminal transfers, as well as guided tours in Rome for our group of 21 cruisers, (2) in 2009, 2010 and 2012 reliably provided friends/relatives with airport/hotel transfers, and (3) on June 19, 2014 provided timely round-trip cruise port/Rome transfer services. ROME CABS is the BEST.

Another thumbs up for Rome Cabs. We used them for four transfers for our June 23rd Med cruise: FCO to Rome; Rome to Port; Port to Rome; and Rome to FCO. All were great with the exception of one. Drivers prompt and cars clean. One detractor was our third transfer--Port to Rome. The driver was texting and driving! At times he was going 70 mph and texting. I of course reported it in my survey and would like to see how they handle this. I thought it was very dangerous to put passengers in harms way. The other three drivers were great.

Follow up. RomeCabs has a zero tolerance for texting and driving. I just received an email from Stefano. They terminated the driver and reported him to the police. He offered me a full refund. I declined because we used his service. I'm impressed with RomeCabs and Stefano. Highly recommend it!

Stefano is one classy gentleman. We have used him several times and we are at the point where we enjoy seeing him in Italy and consider Hom a friend

I am sure all his clients feel that way but it is just so special just knowing someone like stefano is there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

He definitely has high standards for his company. Wish more businesses were operated like Rome Cabs.

And he is a heck of a nice guy too! We always book day tours with him and we book him early. We did his Etruscan tour in 2012 and it was perfect.

He is very pleasant to spend a day with and not at all Intrusive. Like spending time with an Italian cousin. Lol

Btw it should be noted that stefano rarely if at all does the transfers. He does the port and city and specialty tours so book him early if you are using Rome cabs for an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Folks,

Being the worry wart I am, I thought I would ask the following question.

We are on the 4/26 TA on Reflection. We made a reservation with Rome Cabs from the port to our hotel in Rome.

We clicked on the confirmation link. We have all the information and confirmation number.

Still worry. Why? I don't know how to confirm the reservation. It says once you have clicked the link you don't need to, but.......

So I am asking if anyone else has used them from the port to Rome (hotel or airport), and if you confirmed the reservation. If so, how? Did you call? I just want to feel more comfortable that my wife and I won't be left at the pier with no ride.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Hi Ron, We just got back from a great med. cruise on the Reflection with a few days in Rome to start the trip of right. We used Rome Cabs from our Hotel in Rome to the Port and then from the Port to the Airport. Once you click that button do not worry..they will be there. We had a great experience with them during both transfers...they were on time or early to pick us up, and very pleasant. They literally drop you within feet of the boarding area and pick you up in the same spot. You will love Rome Cabs and the Reflection!

We also have used RomeCabs in the past and intend to do so next summer. We last booked him about 9 months in advance. Next time though our cruise will end in Rome and so I am not sure to go about providing a pick up time from the port to take us into Rome (city not airport). How would you gauge your pickup time given you don't know what disembarkation time you will be given by the cruise line?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also back from our Med. cruise on the Reflection. I booked Rome Cabs 3 times. First, from our hotel in Rome to the port, next from the port returning to Rome, and lastly an early morning pick-up from our Rome hotel to FCO.

All drivers were early which was much appreciated.

I, like a previous poster, was kind of worried initially, about booking online with only an email confirmation. I too, as my trip approached, sent an email requesting an additional confirmation that my bookings were "good to go". I received an email back that everything was in order...and it was!

RomeCabs did what they promised. I was extremely satisfied with their service!

Debbie

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Med Cruise, used RomeCabs for both airport to hotel transfer in Rome and also from our hotel in Rome to the port. So easy to use, always get prompt email replies and confirmations.

On the airport transfer, found our driver just where their video said he'd be. Vehicle had plenty of room for our our luggage (we had warned them we'd have a lot!), was a quick and uneventful trip to hotel.

We then selected a country-side tour from hotel to port the next day. We were met by Sylvester, this kind older Italian man in suspenders and jacket. He was such a joy, just the right amount of chatting. My wife had a minor disaster - her flat iron had died the night before so we needed to find a replacement before getting on our ship. Sylvester made it his mission to find one - stopping at three shops before finding one. At each stop, he went in with my wife to help translate, and was just so helpful overall. At the castle stop, he gave us some info and then we were on our own. It was just as he had described and took the time he estimated. We then went to Ceri for lunch, were lucky enough to arrive as a wedding was occurring in a little church. Sylvester led us to the entrance of the church so we could peek in and be part of the ceremony. We jokingly accused him of arranging the wedding just for our visit ;)

We had an amazing lunch, again with the help of Sylvester with translation, and then on to the port, arriving just as promised, shortly after 2:00

This is 2nd visit that we have used RomeCabs and they are always our go-to transport option. Much less cost and great service!

• 2 weeks later...

We first used Rome Cabs in 2009 and had stellar service from them (and I could swear that Sylvester was our driver going to the pier from the city). We used them again this month for our return to FCO from Civitavecchia and I'm happy to report that the service is still terrific. Our driver was due at 7:00 but was waiting for us as we disembarked at 6:30. The van was clean (it looked almost new) and comfortable for 6 people (170 Euro) and, thanks to the early hour, we arrived at FCO in good time.

I highly recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

We publicly commend Rome Cabs whenever possible. The drivers are personable, knowledgeable and -- most importantly -- prompt! When our cruise disembarked at Civitavecchia, we had asked the driver to meet us at 7:00 a.m. Using Celebrity's terrific "walk-off" option, we left the ship early, and our smiling driver was waiting for us at 6:30. That kind of service takes a lot of the stress out of making your flight home.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just wondering if anyone booked RomeCabs and paid in advance using Paypal. Did you have any issues with the driver proving that the trip was already paid for?? I would then tip the driver in cash.

We have used RomeCabs exclusively since 2009 for our tranfers. Stefano, who is the owner of the company, is wonderful, he keeps all of your booking information up to date and sends you email confirmations. Although we have never pre-paid our transfers, I do not think that you need to be concerned. The drivers receive all the information regarding your transfer from Stefano via their cell phones. If there was a question, they would contact him immediately. We highly recommend RomeCabs. Enjoy your trip.