In the absence of La Reserve. . . . .

Tarpeian Rock

I would prefer it if O chose one port that has good restaurants and stayed till 11PM so we could dine in a great local restaurant using the same amount of money we'd pay at La Reserve. That way we'd get good food, good wine, and a local experience instead of dining with the same people we see day in, day out.

We were on Nautica in March. On one of the sea days, they scheduled a food and wine paired tasting in Toscana right after lunch (1:00). Unfortunately, we had lunch in the GDR that ran long (due to enjoyable conversation) and didn't get to the tasting and don't know the details, but I think the food was mainly small portion/tapas.

However, if the goal is to a paired tasting of food and wine is the goal, why not schedule it in Toscana or Polo at lunch time and make it a real meal?

David

Not to me

I would not eat in La Reserve on any of the ships.

Seems like some folks want a wine pairing dinner -- that can be done on any ship. Why not ask?

The concept is great, however, for some, eating some 6 to 7 courses, even small, and so 7 wines is overwhelming.

IT would be for me...maybe 3 courses and 3 wines.

The concept is great, however, for some, eating some 6 to 7 courses, even small, and so 7 wines is overwhelming.

IT would be for me...maybe 3 courses and 3 wines.

GOOD NEWS, Dan, they stopped hiring those off duty busboys to stand behind your chair with the force feeding apparatus, quite some time ago.

The food is only there for you to taste and see how the flavors interact with the wines.....you needn't take a second bite of anything-

I've been to La Reserve several times with a woman is barely 85 pounds (now that I have told her weight, she MUST remain nameless).

She swears that she was not overwhelmed by the food or the drink.

Edited by JimandStan

GOOD NEWS, Dan, they stopped hiring those off duty busboys to stand behind your chair with the force feeding apparatus, quite some time ago.

The food is only there for you to taste and see how the flavors interact with the wines.....you needn't take a second bite of anything-

I've been to La Reserve several times with a woman is barely 85 pounds (now that I have told her weight, she MUST remain nameless).

She swears that she was not overwhelmed by the food or the drink.

Some of the biggest eaters have had the smallest size...and the highest metabolism. More power to her... While a devoted foodie and former wine lover... I think that today, even if it was crafted by Robuchon and Keller, and the Petrus and Yaquem flowed like water... I would have to take a pass.

What I did in the past.. well that was then and I have the memories.

But gentlemen , I thank you for the insight

Over a period of three plus hours one consumes about three glasses of wine. Some of what one is poured goes into the bucket because it may be a wine one dislikes. A glass of wine an hour for three hours is not a large amount, especially since the body will be metabolizing it about that same rate. The amount of food one chooses to eat is the same whether at the buffet line or at La Reserve, it's a personal decision. I wonder if the same people overwhelmed with the small course servings at the La Reserve are so overwhelmed daily at the Terrace!! Must make for a difficult trip.

Having said this, if one thinks a glass of wine/hour for three hours is to much for them, then please don't make the reservation so the rest of us can. Win-win proposition in my book.

I agree with everyone that La Reserve is wonderful, but you don't have to eat every bite that is served to you, nor do you have to drink seven glasses of wine. The wine can be tasted and sipped; the wine serves are small, although of course you can ask for more. There was only one course in our menu that I actually finished, and the courses were all small. Still a wonderful value I think.

We have dined twice in La Reserve. The first was outstanding. We were keen to repeat the experience on our next cruise and it was ok, but neither the food or the wine was as good as at the first. Would not repeat.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app