In the absence of La Reserve. . . . .

Tarpeian Rock

Having thoroughly enjoyed the Connoisseur wine pairing dinner on our recent cruise on Riviera, and with our next cruise being on Regatta, we were wondering if the R-class ships, lacking La Reserve, ever offered anything similar in the way of an extra-charge wine pairing experience dinner. Thanks!

They offered one on Azamara -- same small ship -- I wonder where it was held.

In their steak house (our Polo) at a long table in the front of the room..people seemed to be enjoying it..

Jancruz1

In their steak house (our Polo) at a long table in the front of the room..people seemed to be enjoying it..

Jancruz1

Can we get a petition started to convince Oceania to do the same thing?

On HAL, they didn't advertise it but you went to the specialty restaurant on Boarding day and signed up for it - max 20 people. Enough people knew about the meal that I believe they always filled the spots.

I'm on the Insignia Miami to San Juan in November and would love to see a La Reserve like dinner.

CJ

Can we get a petition started to convince Oceania to do the same thing?

On HAL, they didn't advertise it but you went to the specialty restaurant on Boarding day and signed up for it - max 20 people. Enough people knew about the meal that I believe they always filled the spots.

I'm on the Insignia Miami to San Juan in November and would love to see a La Reserve like dinner.

CJ

Not sure a petition is the way to go.

Seems confrontational

But anyone who likes the idea might write a letter suggesting it. Nothing to lose. Frankly, I would not mention that Azamara does it. Oceania likes to lead, not follow.

Maybe they would do in the patio where they used to hold the special dinners for Suite passengers

They could hold it in the WAVES area also

;)

Edited by LHT28

Since we're new to Oceania, I can't help on that front.

But, if it is the wine/food educational experience you want, and you live in/near (or vacation at) any major city, I'm sure you can find good restaurants that occasionally offer "winemaker dinners," which are always a "best bet." Though more difficult to find, the best comparative educational experience for wine tasting IMO would be one conducted by a member of the "Court of Master Sommeliers." Of course, if you are solely interested in the overall cruise/wine/food combo, I defer to folks with much more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to my knowledge.

Smaller ships, not a spare dining room ...

Mura

True enough, but given the self-limiting nature of the La Reserve experience on the O ships (the night we were there something like 12 or 14 people were seated), I thought perhaps 2 or 3 tables off to the side of the MDR on a couple of evenings might be allocated to such an experience.

True enough, but given the self-limiting nature of the La Reserve experience on the O ships (the night we were there something like 12 or 14 people were seated), I thought perhaps 2 or 3 tables off to the side of the MDR on a couple of evenings might be allocated to such an experience.

I would think the experience would be totally ruined in the Noisy and large room atmosphere of the MDR. At least to me the R ships are oranges and the O ships apples and deserve to stay that way. The improvements this year to the R ships should make them even more perfect.

Edited by orchestrapal

At the time I made my comment the post about how Azamara does it hadn't been posted and it just didn't occur to me that you could allocate space in one of the other dining rooms for the purpose. It's certainly worth asking O if such an idea would be possible (that you, Jan) ... but for me the quiet in La Reserve is part of what makes the experience unique. If you're doing this kind of meal in Polo or Toscana (I agree that the MDR is far too noisy), it would be more difficult to hear the discussions of what you're about to eat and drink.

Still, something is always better than nothing ... and I'm sure Oceania wouldn't mind having another revenue resource.

Mura

This is a neat idea - Good Luck and thanks to Jan! Even offered once on a long cruise this would be a great deal.

A good location might be the aft end of either Polo or Toscana. Because of the narrow passageway there is a natural split between the main area and the aft area where the big windows are. If you used the front of Polo other patrons would have to pass through the dining area which would be a distraction. In the back the wino's can be suitably isolated from the more sober passengers ;). Just a suggestion :).

Robbie

LOL

Now I get it.

The R ships are absolute perfection-

so long as Oceania continuously changes everything about them, so that they become exactly like Marina & Riviera

Sure hope they don't become too much like the O ships. For one they won't

double in size.:D

No, the ships won't double in size. That's OUR job over the course of a long cruise with excellent O cuisine. Or so it seems when the old belt buckle just doesn't want to hook into the usual hole(s).

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!