Golden Princess is coming to Australia in 2015!!

The Sun Princess was never going to impress the Japanese market or draw the international market to Japan.

I'm not so sure. Just done the Diamond in Japan last week, and was only over half full. My poor state room steward only had 2 rooms to do out of his whole section (they get paid per stateroom occupied, not a fixed wage) Poor guy. The staff on board are a bit concerned that Diamond is too big to fill in the Japanese market, and they should have kept the Sun Princess, which was easier to fill up the numbers.

The following cruise, was going to be even emptier. I was told only several hundred of the guests where staying on for the next 10days for the b2b. The general word going around was "disaster". May just take some time to catch on perhaps - but not good so far.

Great info I can't wait to check her out for myself.

We were on the Sun Princess in January and have also sailed on the Dawn and Diamond. We have decided that we will only sail on ships with any time dining unless it's shorter cheap cruises. We were going to book the 35 night cruise on the sea princess out to the islands but we have decided we would rather a ship with any time dining.

On the diamond last 2 weeks. ATD was cancelled and all 5 main dining rooms where done as TD.

I'm not so sure. Just done the Diamond in Japan last week, and was only over half full. My poor state room steward only had 2 rooms to do out of his whole section (they get paid per stateroom occupied, not a fixed wage) Poor guy. The staff on board are a bit concerned that Diamond is too big to fill in the Japanese market, and they should have kept the Sun Princess, which was easier to fill up the numbers.

The following cruise, was going to be even emptier. I was told only several hundred of the guests where staying on for the next 10days for the b2b. The general word going around was "disaster". May just take some time to catch on perhaps - but not good so far.

Princess got greedy with the pricing of these cruises. I looked at them but they were asking too much. Maybe they should have offered some better deals or lowed the starting price for the cruises outside golden week and cherry blossom season.

The problem with that is that Diamond Princess only takes 600 more passengers than the Sun Princess. If Sun Princess was too small to meet capacity at 2000 passengers, Then rationale would suggest Diamond Princess is immediately getting over 2000 passengers. If Diamond Princess is half full then that means only 1300 passengers which is way to little even for Sun Princess.

I am booked on Diamond Princess on 31st August for 9 nights because I considered Diamond Princess to be a more suitable ship than the Sun Princess.

The issue with the class is they are too small for long voyages. They were designed in an era when Princess was only doing short cruises into the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska and as such were not planned for longer trips.

It may be shows how cruising has developed in 20 years when we say the Sun Class is too small. When launched in 1995, I understand the Sun Princess was briefly the largest cruise ship in the world.

I don't think it is the size of ship that matters on longer voyages. It is how the ship is configured. A ship designed for 10 day cruising won't have the luggage storage in cabins, or the laundry facilities that are ideal for a world cruise. It could be argued that the Pacific Princess would make for a better world cruise than a Grand Class vessel.

Princess got greedy with the pricing of these cruises. I looked at them but they were asking too much. Maybe they should have offered some better deals or lowed the starting price for the cruises outside golden week and cherry blossom season.

They definitely need to lower prices, I looked at several of the itineraries and they were much too expensive. Thought the might be trying to recoup costs on the first lot of cruises after the refit.:D

I was reading an article in one of the cruise magazines that New Zealand looks set to by the main key destination for the Golden Princess once based in Melbourne. This info was based from the Port of Otago's online schedule showing the Diamond Princess arriving in Dunedin every two weeks between Oct2015 and Apr2016.

On the diamond last 2 weeks. ATD was cancelled and all 5 main dining rooms where done as TD.

I hope that doesn't become the norm.

The Golden princess is scheduled to dock in Papeete on the 1 Oct 2015. :)

Also interestingly the Diamond Princess is scheduled to be in Papeete on the 10th Oct.

I hope that doesn't become the norm.

The Golden princess is scheduled to dock in Papeete on the 1 Oct 2015. :)

Also interestingly the Diamond Princess is scheduled to be in Papeete on the 10th Oct.

I suppose they are making their way to Australia and then the diamond would most likely go north to japan.:D

I have a feeling it might be doing a voyage out of Sydney before. It is in Sydney October 18th and 28th.

I think this is possible because it would give Princess justification to do a repositioning cruise to Melbourne and get all their travel agents on to promote the ship.

I am tempted to look at when it is coming to Australia and would be keen to book the trip across the Pacific on it. Plenty of good memories from that cruise I had around South America.

I am still pleased that Princess are sending it here and to send one of their better ships. I would much rather a ship like Golden any day opposed to those horrible Crown, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean Princess ones.

The Golden Princess is a great ship. We did our first cruise on it, loved it, in hindsight I don't think we explored it properly though. Would love another cruise on it.

When it came to booking our next trip on the Dawn Princess I was a bit concerned about that ship however that turned out to be fine and my worrying was for nothing.

This upcoming trip I haven't even checked out the ship yet, guessing it is very similar to the Dawn Princess. Only booked it last weekend.

Must take particular notice if it is looking tired, the Dawn looked ok to us at the time.

This cruise is more about catching up with our friends than anything else.

Edited by tickford

The Grand class are very similar to the Sun class but are the bigger and better version. Vista Lounge still almost identical yet larger, Princess Theatre a major improvement on the Grand class with generous space. The Sun class is somewhat of a let-down in the area of the Princess Theatre and is put to shame by many contemporary competing ships. The inclusion of Explorers on the Grand class make it even more spacious for venues. Splitting the pools was another great idea and I loved the covered glass roof pools.

Princess cruises was very wise with the thoughts that went into the design of the Grand class ship. The Sun class is OK but not my first choice for a long voyage.

The newer Crown, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean Princes are horrible ships I will never contemplate cruising on again even for free. Just a same old design with several hundred more passengers and crowds galore thanks to an extra deck slapped on top.

Looking at the dates of Golden I might be able to save up enough leave and cash to do the repositioning to Australia. The Princess ships normally do it in around 30 days with many Pacific Island stops. To me the appeal is that I have always wanted to cruise to Alaska. The Golden Princess has its last cruise to Alaska on 9th September for 10 nights. On completion of that cruise it is then 28 nights until its arrival in Sydney. So it now has me thinking back to back on the Golden Princess and avoid the dread of two lengthy flights across the Pacific.

Now the waiting begins until the release of the itinerary. Obviously I cant make my move and book Alaska until I am 100% certain of the Golden Princess movements....

Looking at the dates of Golden I might be able to save up enough leave and cash to do the repositioning to Australia. The Princess ships normally do it in around 30 days with many Pacific Island stops. To me the appeal is that I have always wanted to cruise to Alaska. The Golden Princess has its last cruise to Alaska on 9th September for 10 nights. On completion of that cruise it is then 28 nights until its arrival in Sydney. So it now has me thinking back to back on the Golden Princess and avoid the dread of two lengthy flights across the Pacific.

Now the waiting begins until the release of the itinerary. Obviously I cant make my move and book Alaska until I am 100% certain of the Golden Princess movements....

I think quite a few of us are waiting for the cruise across the pacific on the Golden to be released.:D

Karryl

I suppose they are making their way to Australia and then the diamond would most likely go north to japan.:D

Golden Princess sails from San Francisco to Sydney on 19/09/2015, and returns ex Melbourne to Los Angeles on 17/04/2016.

Australian, New Zealand & South Pacific itineraries ex Melbourne for Golden Princess should be out between 13/05 and 20/05/14 .

This is the itinerary for the Alaska cruise prior to her coming to oz. Is this a reasonable itinerary for Alaska or are there better?

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Wed Sep 9 San Francisco, CA 4:00pm

Thu Sep 10 At Sea

Fri Sep 11 At Sea

Sat Sep 12 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 10:00pm

Sun Sep 13 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm

Mon Sep 14 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising) 6:00am 3:00pm

Tue Sep 15 Ketchikan, AK 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Sep 16 At Sea

Thu Sep 17 Victoria, BC, Canada 7:00am 2:00pm

Fri Sep 18 At Sea

Sat Sep 19 San Francisco, CA 7:00am

This is the itinerary for the Alaska cruise prior to her coming to oz. Is this a reasonable itinerary for Alaska or are there better?

Thu Sep 10 At Sea

Fri Sep 11 At Sea

Wed Sep 16 At Sea

Fri Sep 18 At Sea

It looks to be. I know a few people I could email to ask.

It does omit Anchorage.

I would probably do that Alaska if I were doing the trans-Pacific. Reasonable logic would suggest that Golden Princess would depart from San Francisco, however they may do a re-positioning to Los Angeles and depart from there.

Thu Sep 10 At Sea

Fri Sep 11 At Sea

Wed Sep 16 At Sea

Fri Sep 18 At Sea

We did this itinerary on Grand princess last September but in the order of Ketchikan,Juneau,Skagway and Glacier Bay then Victoria

Whilst not having been anywhere else in Alaska, it seemed these places are the most popular as there were 5 or 6 ships in each port, mostly Princess but also HAL and Silver seas.

In Juneau we had to tender as no dock space available.

In Glacier Bay we sailed right up to the glacier and did three 360's.

Highlight for me was a flight over the glaciers, up front next to the pilot in a restored 1956 Dehaviland Beaver from Mountain Flying Service in Skagway.

Edited by yatchet

Sandy, thanks, I am sure the Sea Princess will be fine.

Silverwillow, we did the virtually the same cruise but a 7 nighter out of Seattle on the Golden Princess, it was our first cruise and spent 30 hrs travelling to get there but well worth it.

I choose one that particularly did Glacier Bay. You should love it, I know we did.

Magnificent in Glacier Bay. Juneau Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier.

Scenic flight over the Misty Fjords in Ketchikan and hired a car in Skagway and travelled the highway for a few hours looking at the scenery. Beautiful. Will do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by tickford

Golden Princess sails from San Francisco to Sydney on 19/09/2015, and returns ex Melbourne to Los Angeles on 17/04/2016.

Australian, New Zealand & South Pacific itineraries ex Melbourne for Golden Princess should be out between 13/05 and 20/05/14 .

Cheers.:D

Thu Sep 10 At Sea

Fri Sep 11 At Sea

Wed Sep 16 At Sea

Fri Sep 18 At Sea

Looks like it has the makings of a great cruise, especially if it then heads to Australia.:D