Speacialty restaurant for a single passenger

RMS Olympic

I am booked on the Getaway for a November sailing, sailing solo.

I have already purchased the premium dinning package and am looking forward to Cagney's....I am a CARNIVOR!:D:D:D Will try the Brazilian staek house as well.

My question is concerning seating.

When at arrive at any of the specialty restaurants, will I be seated alone, or asked if I would like to dine with others? Since I will have made a specific reservation time, is seating optional? I would prefer not to eat alone......great conversation over a wonderful meal is the high point of my day on a ship.

How does NCL handle seating?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Go to the Solo Gatherings!! They happen in the 'Studio Cabin Living Room" on a daily basis. (You don't have to be booked in the studios to participate). There you can meet other solo cruisers, they will also have group dining. I realize you booked the dining package, but you can put your name on the board and ask if anyone wants to dine at Cagney's on X day at X time and see if you can get some dining companions.

I have my doubts that you will be able to eat with others (share a table) in the specialty restaurants as people reserve with the intent of dining with their family/group/couple. You'd have a better time sharing a table in the MDR.

Hi.

I was on the Breakaway and they did not (as far as I saw) sit people together. Having said that, I was with my daughter dining at Cagneys on the first night outside. (It left last July) and there was a gentlemen dining by himself and the next table. We started talking. The next day I saw him at the Meet and Greet, and we meet others and all stayed friendly the whole cruise and did have dinner together a couple of times. I would def go to the meet and greet. (not sure you are familiar, sign up for your roll call and go to your meet and greet. There is also a solo get together the cruise line does.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the "Breakaway" last October and went to the Solo cabin gatherings and met a lot of people~~I was in a balcony but it did not matter and the "Meet and Greet" is great~~I met so many people~~even did the Ice Bar with some of the single cruisers from the solo cabin gatherings and even met people by the pool to do things with in Bermuda! Have fun and enjoy! I am going on an 11-day in October on the "Gem" to the Caribbean!:)

All of my experiences in the specialty restaurants are as a solo, and I never recall being asked to share a table (and that's OK with me, as I would have declined).

And in the MDRs, I only recall being asked 2 or 3 times in over 50 nights onboard (I declined).

My take on this is that with NCL, if you don't want to dine alone, you need to round up your own company before arriving at the restaurant. Meanwhile, if you DO want to dine alone, NCL will allow you to do so without hassle.

Edited by mtwingcpa

I would agree with mtwingcpa. As a traveller that often is solo - I have always been seated on my own in specialty restaurants. If you are wanting to share a table you may want to seek out others on the cruise - like at the solo gatherings, and meet & greet as others have already said.

One thing I found out on my very first cruise solo was that I was never asked if I wanted to join others in the MDR - so ended up sitting on my own for most meals until I met other people. I was fine with this, but it taught me to be much more assertive in what I needed or wanted. I often like to enjoy my meal on my own, but sometimes it is nice to have a conversation. The hosts did not seem to be proactive about these sorts of thing - I guess the "freestyle" format assumes most people want to eat on their own? I don't know...

I'm sure you will find folks in a similar situation that would enjoy a meal together. I was on a ship that didn't have the solo lounge and still managed to connect with people. I'm sure you will be able to do the same! Hope you have an enjoyable cruise!

Hi Tom,

I sailed by myself on the Gem last December. Unfortunately, the specialty restaurants do not arrange shared tables. Since I don't mind eating by myself I had no problem. I did participate in the Chef's Table which was the best meal I had on the ship. It was well worth the cost. Out of the 12 guests, 3 were "family". The NCL Roll Calls are quite active and I have no doubt that you will make some contacts prior to sailing. Have a great time,

Joe

I've not cruised on the Getaway alone but I have on the Epic. You'll be seated alone at the specialty dining restaurants with the exception of Teppanyaki and that Chef's dinner (I forget the name) where the 12 people are seated together around the table. If you'd like company it's not hard to find. Honestly I think it's harder to be left to one's own devices and to have a chance to eat alone when cruising solo.

Attending solo meets, Meet and Greets and just generally chatting with people you meat during the day on the ship and excursions on shore will leave you with plenty of table mate choices. Bon Voyage!

Edited by xenagurl

I think you will only be seated with others if there are others who are open to having someone at their table who is not part of their party so to speak

NCL will not just randomly sit you with someone without their knowledge or consent

I've experienced speciality restaurants whilst travelling solo on Epic, Sky, Breakaway and Star and have never been asked I seated with others. In MDR I've always been asked so maybe it's a no in the speciality venues.

I have meet people at single gatherings and made meal plans which was fun.