RCI Comes Out On Top - Surprise !!!

I can't really say that I'm surprised by the numbers. In reality, a $260K combined income isn't that "affluent." I bet if they used a starting income of $1M instead, the cruiseline choices would be different.

My husband and I are not "affluent" but with some saving, we managed to take a Silversea cruise earlier this year. The itinerary was FABULOUS!!!!! and not offered by any of the "mass market" lines, which was why we picked Silversea for that particular cruise. It was fairly obvious that many of the passengers onboard were, in the words of comedian Ron White, "l-o-o-o-a-d-d-d-e-d!" There was at least one couple who made it a point to say they would never sail on a mass market cruiseline and snubbed my husband and I for being "mass market" cruisers (or in their words "filthy people").

While we greatly enjoyed the Silversea cruise experience, if a similar itinerary were offered by one of the mass market lines, I would have been fine sailing on a different cruiseline, most likely for considerably less money. The service on Silversea was exceptional, drinks were included, and overall, the food was better than mass market lines. The cabin itself was actually smaller than I have had on some of the mass market lines. I really don't think that the "luxury" experience was enough to justify the high fare, particularly since my husband and I aren't heavy drinkers, so I'll keep sailing the mass market lines with an occasional "luxury" line for a "once-in-a-lifetime" itinerary.

I'm a bit surprised as well, but I agree it may be the accessibility of the mass market ships and where they go that draws people in.

Sure, it would be nice to be on an 'uber rich' ship but since I'm only a blue collar worker i'll take Royal every time:D

I can't really say that I'm surprised by the numbers. In reality, a $260K combined income isn't that "affluent." I bet if they used a starting income of $1M instead, the cruiseline choices would be different.

At 260K someone doesn't have a mansion full of servants, but that is still in the top 2% of US household incomes. There's no hard definition but most would consider more income than 98% of the US pretty affluent. (Maybe not in Manhattan or San Francisco)

At that level someone's choice of cruise line would be pretty wide open, within reason.

It's human nature not to think of ourselves as "rich", as most people try to be humble about their income. Usually they define rich as "someone who has a LOT more money than me" :D

Usually they define rich as "someone who has a LOT more money than me" :D

This made me giggle as another CCer today on a different thread said that they defined "elderly" as anyone 10+ years older than them.

It's all about perspective. :D

Not surprised. Most folks with this kind of income got there by living wisely and within their means. They do not drive expensive new cars, don't have debt, work very hard, and may not see the point of paying so much more for the same vacation. buying expensive cars is investing money in something that is going down in value, at an alarming rate, and a vacation is just that, a vacation. If one can unwind and recharge the same amount, if not with more peace of mind, on a cruise line that is cheaper, why not save the money and invest it in the market or in real estate, thus increasing their net worth. The richest people dont have anything to prove, only those who are dreaming of being rich do.