First time, hubby who hates beach, help

jdragr

My husband was never a beach fan - he doesn't like sand, isn't the biggest fan of swimming for fun, and always joked that he was naturally dark enough so he couldn't tan. However once we started cruising, he changed his mind. Now he still doesn't love sand, but he does enjoy the experience of laying out with a drink (or two or three) in his hand, occasionally dipping in the water to cool off, and just relaxing. Maybe your DH will have a similar experience.

Edited by Krissica

OP indicated that her husband was not a beach person and the cruise is a birthday present for him

That part was clear. And I am a sympathetic non-beach person.

But there are other non-beach trips. And it was more a question about the consistently high enthusiasm (in this thread and elsewhere) rather than the information.

Alaska is breath-taking and unique, as well as more affordable for Americans (unless you have ff miles or work for an airline) than a cruise in the Med. The excursion costs are about the same - expensive.

But it's very possible to cruise the Caribbean without doing beaches. I think we went on 5 or 6 before we even made it to a beach. When we do go to a beach, DH sits at a table with an umbrella while DS is in the water or digging in the sand and I am between the two of them.

Alaska is just beautiful and not just for the older people. As the trip is for him I'd forget about the beaches.

Alaska is also more affordable for Americans than others such as myself (from Australia), we paid nearly double however I was happy with the price we paid.

I did book a western Caribbean and he has received it as a gift and is excited. I told him he could pick the excursions since it was his gift and he does want to do one beach day because he knows that the rest of us love the beach.

As far Alaska it is the transportation charges that made it so expensive. We could actually drive to our port but are taking the train for an added adventure. No way we could do that for an Alaskan cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did book a western Caribbean and he has received it as a gift and is excited. I told him he could pick the excursions since it was his gift and he does want to do one beach day because he knows that the rest of us love the beach. As far Alaska it is the transportation charges that made it so expensive. We could actually drive to our port but are taking the train for an added adventure. No way we could do that for an Alaskan cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhh. He sounds like a wonderful husband and father.

• 2 weeks later...
I am planning on giving my husband a cruise for his 50th birthday which is next week. We will actually cruise this summer and no I haven't booked. I don't know where to start. It will be me, dh, dd (21) and dd (15). My girls and I love the beach my dh doesn't. Can you make suggestions as to where to go? Will dh like a cruise if he hates the beach?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At any port, even those that have an emphasis on water sports, there are alternate excursions offered by the cruise line or privately. Often, my husband, also not a beach person, will opt to do one thing and I will go do another. For instance, one trip I went zip lining and he took a cooking class! Or he can just stay on the ship while you hit the beach.

One question - would he like water sports like snorkeling or snuba? A dolphin swim? Swimming with sting rays?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We travel as a family and we all have different tastes in what we enjoy. One of my daughters hates the beach and whines at the mention of a beach day. One of my daughters loves the beach. We cruise Royal Caribbean to the Caribbean and they both love it. There are tons of things you can do on a Caribbean cruise that don't involve sand or the beach and you and your daughters can still enjoy the sand and the beach. A day trip excursion to one of the resorts means hubby can sit at an outdoor bar while you and the daughters have some beach time with him. There are excursions down rivers, caving, swimming with the dolphins, sting rays, turtle farms, beach bars, rum factories, excursions on sail boats, party boats, trips to water falls that spill onto beaches (climbing the waterfalls), scavenger hunts, ruins that you can tour, fishing trips, renting bikes, renting wave runners, horse back rides on the beach, ATV's and on and on. The decisions on what you can do are not limited to the beach at all. We have never had a desire to go to Alaska. I just can't handle the idea of packing winter wear in the summer. Book a cabin with a balcony. Go on a big ship and you have the options on the ship of rock climbing, ice skating, basketball, miniature golf, wine tasting, shows, flow-riders, spas, gyms, teen clubs that will give you and hubby some alone time. We've never been bored and we've never spent more than a couple of hours on a beach...too much to do and not enough time to do it all has always been our dilemma ;). Enjoy.