Galapagos Excursion April 19

Lauranne

We are at the united club lounge at Houston Airport. We arrive in Quito quite a bit later tonight. We have a tour planned tomorrow and will end the day with dinner at Zazu. We fly to Baltra on Saturday. We are getting in the vacation mode and are certainly excited about this excursion. I will try to post now and again.

Laurie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are at the united club lounge at Houston Airport. We arrive in Quito quite a bit later tonight. We have a tour planned tomorrow and will end the day with dinner at Zazu. We fly to Baltra on Saturday. We are getting in the vacation mode and are certainly excited about this excursion. I will try to post now and again.

Laurie

Have a great time on your cruise. You will absolutely love it!

We had a excellent tour today. We slept in a bit as it was after 1 am when we arrived at the JW Marriott. After a very tasty breakfast at the hotel we meet Lincoln to start the tour of Old town Quito and a drive to the Equator. It was decided as it was Good Friday and a procession would be winding through the streets of the Old Town at around noon, that we best go there first. We saw wonderful old buildings, churches and government buildings. The plazas with historic statues were so beautiful. We walked for 2-3 hours stopping at churches and finally at a chocolatier. Here we were taken through the process of the cocoa plant to the seed to the end product. We tasted 80% chocolate and some chocolate with filling, sprinkled with sea salt and some with hot pepper. Purchasing a number of bars and individual pieces we made our way back to the van. Lincoln is a great source of information. Very professional and excellent English. Back to the hotel to drop off the chocolate and then off to the equator. We visited both the museum where the equator actually is and monument where cartographers thought the equator was.. They were not far off as both are very close together. We are now resting in our rooms and will be going for dinner at Zazu at 8. It will be an early start tomorrow as our luggage needs to be outside our room by 5:35 for hand expection. I will report more in the next few days. So far everything has been excellent and we are very much enjoying ourselves.

Laurie

We had a nice dinner at Zazu last night. The tuna tartar as well as the asparagus salad were wonderful. Our mains seafood risotto and osso buco were only alright. The wake up call came at 5:30 and after breakfast we were on our way to the airport at 7:20. We arrived at Baltra, Galápagos Islands at around noon. It took a while for busses to be organized to take us to the ship but we were in the VIP lounge with snacks and drinks. Upon arriving to the ship we were given a warm towel and a glass of champagne. Our room, although not a balcony, is spacious and tastefully decorated. Yes it is dark wood but to me that us what ships are meant to look like. We had lunch at the grill. Very good and attended the safety briefing and muster drill. We arranged for our snorkel gear and signed up for internet. Unlimited for the week 140.00. We will have our briefing for tomorrow's activities at 7 and we will be meeting new friends for dinner at the grill ( hot rocks) at 7:30. Our butler Enrique is a very personable and made sure that beer and wine are available in our stateroom. It will be an early start tomorrow at 6:30 for a hike followed by snorkelling. It sounds like an action packed week.

Laurie

We had a nice dinner at Zazu last night. The tuna tartar as well as the asparagus salad were wonderful. Our mains seafood risotto and osso buco were only alright. The wake up call came at 5:30 and after breakfast we were on our way to the airport at 7:20. We arrived at Baltra, Galápagos Islands at around noon. It took a while for busses to be organized to take us to the ship but we were in the VIP lounge with snacks and drinks. Upon arriving to the ship we were given a warm towel and a glass of champagne. Our room, although not a balcony, is spacious and tastefully decorated. Yes it is dark wood but to me that us what ships are meant to look like. We had lunch at the grill. Very good and attended the safety briefing and muster drill. We arranged for our snorkel gear and signed up for internet. Unlimited for the week 140.00. We will have our briefing for tomorrow's activities at 7 and we will be meeting new friends for dinner at the grill ( hot rocks) at 7:30. Our butler Enrique is a very personable and made sure that beer and wine are available in our stateroom. It will be an early start tomorrow at 6:30 for a hike followed by snorkelling. It sounds like an action packed week.

Laurie

Laurie your post is perfect ! Thanks so much - I'll be watching for future. The details you're reporting are what I want to know -- what a normal day is like. Thank you !!!

Dusababy

Sounds great- just beware of jellyfish. But you are on western itinerary so don't know where you will be. Just check, and make sure they have vinegar on the panga. Puts a serious damper on the trip to encounter them.

We were up early and had a quick, light breakfast before the early morning hike of Bartolome. On this island a man made trail, much like a boardwalk has been constructed. It is considered strenuous as it is 388 steps to the lookout at the top of the island. We saw a pelican, snake, lava lizards as well as a number of birds including the Galapagos Hawk. Our wonderful guide Ernesto was extremely knowledgeable and personable. Back to the ship for another bit of food and to get ready for snorkelling. All went well, no jellyfish! We saw numerous fish, a few sea lions and a Galapagos Penguin. The water was lovely, clear and warm. It was very cool to snorkel the coral reef area surrounding the Pinnacle Rock. Back to the ship to clean up and then up to grill for lunch. The food is really good especially the seafood and fish. After a rest we attended the first lecture and then prepared for the long hike of Santiago Island. It was very hot and humid. The Mosquitos were hungry so come prepared. This island has many birds. We saw a flamingo, many finches, mockingbirds, Galapagos Doves and a juvenile Galapagos Hawk. On the way back to the ship we saw sea turtles swimming as well as herons and the blue footed booby. Tonight was the captains welcome toast followed by dinner in the dining room. Tomorrow is deep water snorkelling around Isabela and a hike on Fernandina. I have tried to include a few pictures but the ship internet can't handle the request. I will do this when I get home.

Laurie

Laurie

This sounds like you are having a great trip. Sounds like you are on Deck 3, as we were. Enrique was our butler, and is a quick study. On Sunday afternoon we called an asked for olives and ice. Neither the front desk nor Enrique knew what we were asking for, so I suggested that they check with Freddy the bartender. They did and Enrique brought the olives and ice to the suite, and made sure that they were in our suite every afternoon for vodka martinis.

Enjoy the week!!

Sounds like a wonderful day. When we were in Quito, it was right before a presidential election, and there was a very spirited debate going on downtown. There is always something in South America.
@RachelG, were you on our cruise leaving Baltra on 2/22? We checked into the JW Marriott on 2/19 and it was filling up with election inspectors, as the election was on 2/23. Ecuadorean law prohibited serving alcohol from noon Friday through midnight Sunday of election weekend, so we had a dry Friday lunch and dinner.

Monday was another busy day. We arrived at Isabela Island. First activity was a zodiac tour. We saw penguins, marine iguanas, flightless cormorants, blue footed booby and sea lions. Back to the ship to get ready for deep sea snorkelling. We went to a really cool cave like opening and snorkelled around that area. Not a lot of fish to see but we did swim with turtles and sea lions. The afternoon was the long hike on Fernandina Island. This is a very nice Island that is home to hundreds of marine iguanas. You had to watch where you stepped. We also saw many birds and sea lions. All staff on the ship are really aiming to please. You can see training going on with both butlers, their assistants and the restaurant staff. Ramon, the maître, is really great. He greets every one with a big smile and takes time to chat. Israel, who is in charge of activities, is wonderful and funny during the briefings. Roberto, the bartender at the grill, always has time for a chat. I really can't say enough about the staff. Everyone we have talked to is very happy with the quality of the cruise. I will report more tomorrow.

Laurie

Lauranne,

I will be on Silver Galapagos for two weeks in June. Your posts have been great at giving me a real feel for what to expect. A few of questions.

- How many passengers are on board your cruise?

- Is the air conditioning working well? Some previous reviews said that it could not keep up with the heat.

- When you are in the Pangas / Zodiacs, how many people are in them at a time?

- Can you leave your water shoes in the Pangas and then change to hiking shoes?

- For those times that you went snorkeling, were there other activities available?

Looking forward to more reports.

Liz

Lauri,

I really appreciate your detailed daily reports. They are giving me an idea of how the days will go and it sounds similar to the schedule on the Explorer in Antarctica. Looking forward to your next update and the answer to Liz's questions. All good ones.

Also if you can take some photos of your suite to post later, that would be great. We are in 428, but I think there are two different arrangements of the non-balcony suites.

I just contacted Lincoln over the weekend and he will be guiding us one day from Quito to Mindo and the Equator. Can't wait!!

Thanks so much

Hi Liz,

There are around 80 guests on board.

The air in our suite is fine. Not really cold but certainly a comfortable temperature. I have never felt too warm.

The zodiacs usually have 8-12 in them depending on the activity.

You wouldn't want to leave your items in the zodiac as it goes back to the ship to get other passengers. If it is a wet landing you change on the beach and can leave your water shoes there. A dry landing you will wear your hikers or sneakers in the zodiac.

For snorkelling your items stay with you as the zodiac is always close by.

I really encourage everyone to try snorkelling as you really see great wildlife underwater. A few passengers come on the snorkelling activity but stay in the boat and look for turtles and sea lions coming up to breath. There are no other activities at the snorkel time.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Laurie

@RachelG, were you on our cruise leaving Baltra on 2/22? We checked into the JW Marriott on 2/19 and it was filling up with election inspectors, as the election was on 2/23. Ecuadorean law prohibited serving alcohol from noon Friday through midnight Sunday of election weekend, so we had a dry Friday lunch and dinner.

No, not on your cruise. We were on xpedition about 7 yrs ago.

Laurianne, please report on the food, especially the quality of the meat. Are they still having to source all fresh food locally? Also what wine available?

The food has been quite good. I believe that the food is local. We has steak and lobster at the grill last night and the steak was tender and flavourful. The fish is always great. We had a wine tasting last night. The have 7 reds and 7 whites. They are from Chile and Argentina. Some are ok and others are really good. Even though they feature of red and one white each night, you can have what ever you like.

Laurie

The food has been quite good. I believe that the food is local. We has steak and lobster at the grill last night and the steak was tender and flavourful. The fish is always great. We had a wine tasting last night. The have 7 reds and 7 whites. They are from Chile and Argentina. Some are ok and others are really good. Even though they feature of red and one white each night, you can have what ever you like.

Laurie

This is very encouraging! On our xpedition cruise, the beef was terrible, and there was only wine from one Chilean winery (ok but got repetitive after a few nights).

Tuesday was another very active day. We started at 6:45 sea kayaking around a cove of Isabela Island. We had a wonderful time spotting numerous animals including penguins, sea lions and flightless cormorants. It was very special to be close to the water in such a quiet place. Back at the ship we took in the competitive kayak race. Crew against guest. Two very fit young people won the race but I think the crew slowed down their pace a bit. All in good fun! Deep water snorkelling was the next activity and today was truly amazing. I lost count of how many sea turtles we spotted as well as sea lions and penguins. There were also numerous fish on the reefs. Back to the ship for lunch at the grill. We opted out of the zodiac tour in the afternoon as we really needed a nap. The pace of this cruise is very tiring. We attended the wine tasting followed by the briefing and then dinner with friends at the grill. Tomorrow will include a visit to Post Office Bay and the lava tunnel.

Laurie

Laurie - thank you so much for your posts. Appreciate you taking the tie out from your busy schedule. We are going in June and very excited. (This is also our first Silverseas cruise.) Your posts are helpful and increase my excitement. I just purchased some Teva water sandals and am going to be walking around in the house to see how comfortable they are/ aren't.Love Zappos since I can always send them back if I don't think they will work.

Joanna