Eating Again !!!

bingo queen

I know there have been lots of questions about Restaurants & Dining,Sorry,here is another one.

March 2013 I was on the Golden Princess around the Hawaiin Islands and on one of the port days We returned to the ship for lunch expecting to be able to eat in the Dining Room(as we had done on other Princess Cruises)but our usual dining room was closed,as was the other one.

We found out that on all the port days they were closed.

Is this what happens now when the ships are in port ?

Thanks.

I know there have been lots of questions about Restaurants & Dining,Sorry,here is another one.

March 2013 I was on the Golden Princess around the Hawaiin Islands and on one of the port days We returned to the ship for lunch expecting to be able to eat in the Dining Room(as we had done on other Princess Cruises)but our usual dining room was closed,as was the other one.

We found out that on all the port days they were closed.

Is this what happens now when the ships are in port ?

Thanks.

plenty of other dining options on port days without worrying about the MDR

In general, it is true that the MDR is closed for lunch on port days, but there are exceptions, especially when the port call begins later in the day, or departure is before 2 pm. It is up to the hotel staff as to whether to open the MDR on a port day, and we have enjoyed it being available occasionally on port days.

It is an unfortunate practice now adopted by many cruise lines. While we agree that its a bummer if you decide to stay aboard on a port day and want a nice lunch, it is very understandable. In order to keep the MDR open they need to keep a significant staff on duty in the galley (there are many different stations that must be staffed), have some management working out front, and have a few waiters. Because demand is so low, it makes it impossible to do proper galley "prep" without wasting a lot of resources. And closing the MDR makes it easier for management to give more food service crew some needed time off.

Hank