Are carry on bags searched?

xCajunGurlx

lol, a few years ago we went on a family group cruise, we snuck a double ended item in my adult and married sisters bag, she had no idea it was in there till they had her open her bag and she pulled it out, funniest moment of my life.

Hahahahahahaha!

You do realize that the cruise ticket contract allows the cruise line to search your luggage and cabin at any time, with or without your presence?

This is true! Putting a lock on your carry-on is useless because they can and WILL search it if they want to do so.

LuLu

~~~

Not my story but my friend's... her SIL went on a cruise out of Tampa. The xray tech saw something he didn't like, they proceeded to search her backpack, found nothing. xrayed it again- he still was suspicious so they searched it again- still nothing.

Finally the senior guy asked the xray tech to scan it again and show him what he was seeing... suddenly the xray tech gets really excited saying 'there, there- you see them? If those aren't bullets then what are they?' The senior guy who'd searched the bag and knew its contents just shook his head in disgust and said 'tampons, you idiot, they're tampons!'.

He apologized to my friend's SIL who was starting to snicker at this point and he explained that the guy was new. No kidding!

In Tampa on the April 6 they ran our stuff through the scanner. Didn't look at the two bags with our allowed 48 drinks (4 of us). Did run my backpack through twice - I figured it was my mono-pod. (Is that what you call a one legged tripod?). Didn't open anything. I ALWAY pack as much as possible in ziplock bags so anyone searching can see what's there without actually touching my stuff.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Tampa on the April 6 they ran our stuff through the scanner. Didn't look at the two bags with our allowed 48 drinks (4 of us). Did run my backpack through twice - I figured it was my mono-pod. (Is that what you call a one legged tripod?). Didn't open anything. I ALWAY pack as much as possible in ziplock bags so anyone searching can see what's there without actually touching my stuff.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It that we have smuggled anything, but I gave to say that we have seen varying levels of inspections at different home ports. Not sure why that is.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Are all bags checked before boarding a cruise? Also who checks our carry ons? Is every single carry on opened and checked before we are allowed to board the boat? I remember the last time we cruised input little locks on our bags because I didn't want people to open them up and dig in my belongings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are allowed to go through your bags. They asked me to open one once and they searched it. I am still not sure what they were looking for. Since you are right there with your bag, they will ask you to open it, but you can't refuse a request to search if you want to get on the ship. They shake water bottles to make sure they are not vodka.

We sailed on Carnival Sunshine out of New Orleans on April 6th. They did not search through our bags but they cut the foil off of our wine bottles and looked at the corks. If it was corked at home it was confiscated.