Are there individual thermostats in Allure cabins?

Zoey

And I have actually been in charge of the air conditioning equipment onboard cruise ships. Are you saying that there is no air supplied or removed from your cabin by ducting? How stale would that air be? All HVAC systems are designed with a 20% fresh air intake, a 20% air exhaust, and 80% recirculated air to the cooler/heater. Because of the need for fresh air intake and exhaust of stale air, you cannot have cooling just on the air in your room, or you would need a unit the size of a window air conditioner for each cabin, to bring the outside air temperature down to required supply temperature.

The Allure and the Liberty have air handlers in each room near the bathroom. They take the air from the floor, send it through the coils, and disperse it either in the upper wall, or the ceiling. The reason that the air handlers are near the bathroom is to keep all plumbing in one place in the cabin. That is why you will never typically have a bathroom on the outside wall of a ship. It would be difficult to access the plumbing connectors.

The fresh air is taken care of with the exhaust vent in the bathroom. There is a constant amount of air being sucked out of the bathroom. The fresh air comes from the hallway or the balcony if you open the door. I was on a Carnival ship a few years ago, and the amount of air being sucked out of the bathroom was so much that the room never got cool enough. I had to plug that suction hole to keep the cool air in the cabin.

In fact if you are in your room on the Allure at least, fell the air coming in under the door. There is always a breeze of air coming from the hallway into each room. That is why the door is not completely sealed.

This is also known because each cabin is built elsewhere, and is moved in place already built. The only connections are liquids and power. There is no air supply going to the cabin, only a small suction pipe for the air being sucked out of the bathroom.

This is good for two reasons... It gives a way to get stale air out of the bathroom, and also keeps the smells out of the cabin that occur in the bathroom.

Edited by reedl

The Allure and the Liberty have air handlers in each room near the bathroom. They take the air from the floor, send it through the coils, and disperse it either in the upper wall, or the ceiling. The reason that the air handlers are near the bathroom is to keep all plumbing in one place in the cabin. That is why you will never typically have a bathroom on the outside wall of a ship. It would be difficult to access the plumbing connectors.

The fresh air is taken care of with the exhaust vent in the bathroom. There is a constant amount of air being sucked out of the bathroom. The fresh air comes from the hallway or the balcony if you open the door. I was on a Carnival ship a few years ago, and the amount of air being sucked out of the bathroom was so much that the room never got cool enough. I had to plug that suction hole to keep the cool air in the cabin.

In fact if you are in your room on the Allure at least, fell the air coming in under the door. There is always a breeze of air coming from the hallway into each room. That is why the door is not completely sealed.

This is also known because each cabin is built elsewhere, and is moved in place already built. The only connections are liquids and power. There is no air supply going to the cabin, only a small suction pipe for the air being sucked out of the bathroom.

This is good for two reasons... It gives a way to get stale air out of the bathroom, and also keeps the smells out of the cabin that occur in the bathroom.

Does that mean the cabin might stay cooler at night if the bathroom door was propped open with something like a chair?

I'm aware of the Novenco style of room air unit. It does exactly what I referred to in my previous post as the individual cabin recirculation unit. Some of them are designed to service 3-4 cabins at a time. So you're telling me that when the bathroom exhaust takes 20% of the air out of the cabin (as I in fact stated before), that the 20% fresh air required comes from under your door? And you think this is designed this way? If the only air supply was the gap around the door, it would be whistling all day long. Just try having 4 adjacent cabins with their balcony doors open, and the ship underway, and you will hear the wind tunnel. I will post some links to Novenco systems, as they are one of the major suppliers of HVAC equipment to cruise ships. The "Flex Air" system is what you are referring to. It, and all three systems have "cabin units" for "final control" of the air, but if you look at the system drawings, all will have an item #1 "air handler" which conditions the air, has an enthalpy wheel to recover energy (heat or cold) from the exhaust air, and controls the humidity. This air handler has supply (cold air) ducting to the cabin unit, and the bathroom exhaust goes back to it to give up energy to the fresh air coming into the ship.

Yes, there is always a breeze from the passageway, since the passageways are designed to have a positive pressure in them. There are few return vents from the passageways, since they are open to multiple fire zones and multiple decks via the ladderways.

The fact that the cabins are prefabricated means nothing, since even you say that they have to connect to the exhaust duct.

What you don't realize is that all cruise ships' a/c ducting is what Novenco calls "Hi-Press" systems (other companies call it other things), where the air is moved at much higher pressures than home or commercial a/c, for the very reason that the ducts can be very small. The cabin unit and the diffuser grille in the cabin drops the pressure so you don't hear it. In fact the supply air duct is no larger than the small exhaust duct that you mention for the bathroom.

A typical cabin supply vent is a 4" diameter round vent, about the size of your shower fan vent at home, and the same size as the bathroom exhaust duct.

Sorry, I'm not going to argue this anymore, I'll put my 40 years experience as a ship's engineer against yours.

Novenco IDEC system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco.biz%2Flog%2Fnovenco10%2Flibrary%2FMarine%2FIDAC%2520mu13128%252004.05.pdf&ei=zGdVU56RNrOgsATQvIAo&usg=AFQjCNF9pxl375OeTlNW_pC0hvWXlnJNFQ

Novenco MicroVent system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEsQFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco.biz%2Flog%2Fnovenco10%2Flibrary%2FMarine%2FMicrovent%2520mu13129%252004.05.pdf&ei=zGdVU56RNrOgsATQvIAo&usg=AFQjCNE7UWLw7_T6kmUa9H3OhsAqERAwtg

Novenco FlexAir system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco-marine.com%2Fen%2FDownloads%2FDocumentation%2F~%2Fmedia%2FDownloads%2FBrochures%2FHMO%2FAir%2520Conditioning%2520FLEXAIR%2520mu14047%25200908.ashx&ei=FmxVU9KDNsK3sASAqIHQAg&usg=AFQjCNEmL-xCCJ8TllpBELJAgJgbmpcSjg

Enjoy reading.

I really doubt that 20% of the air is being replaced in the cabins. In public spaces, that might be the case, but in individual cabins, there is a lot less recirculation of the air than that.

I have seen inside the access doors outside the cabins where all the plumbing and power is hooked up, and there has never been any air ducts there. Only liquid pipes.

Furthermore, I was on the Mariner years ago, and had an issue with my A/C. I asked the tech all about the system, and was told that it is purely a chilled water pipe where the air in the room is recirculated over the coils to cool the air. I asked where the source of fresh air was and was told it was under the cabin door, and the exhaust was in the bathroom.

So I base my information on data from actual cruise ship technicians.

Edited by reedl

I really doubt that 20% of the air is being replaced in the cabins. In public spaces, that might be the case, but in individual cabins, there is a lot less recirculation of the air than that.

I have seen inside the access doors outside the cabins where all the plumbing and power is hooked up, and there has never been any air ducts there. Only liquid pipes.

Furthermore, I was on the Mariner years ago, and had an issue with my A/C. I asked the tech all about the system, and was told that it is purely a chilled water pipe where the air in the room is recirculated over the coils to cool the air. I asked where the source of fresh air was and was told it was under the cabin door, and the exhaust was in the bathroom.

And I base my information on being in charge of those cruise ship technicians.

I can see that being possible

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

I'm aware of the Novenco style of room air unit. It does exactly what I referred to in my previous post as the individual cabin recirculation unit. Some of them are designed to service 3-4 cabins at a time. So you're telling me that when the bathroom exhaust takes 20% of the air out of the cabin (as I in fact stated before), that the 20% fresh air required comes from under your door? And you think this is designed this way? If the only air supply was the gap around the door, it would be whistling all day long. Just try having 4 adjacent cabins with their balcony doors open, and the ship underway, and you will hear the wind tunnel. I will post some links to Novenco systems, as they are one of the major suppliers of HVAC equipment to cruise ships. The "Flex Air" system is what you are referring to. It, and all three systems have "cabin units" for "final control" of the air, but if you look at the system drawings, all will have an item #1 "air handler" which conditions the air, has an enthalpy wheel to recover energy (heat or cold) from the exhaust air, and controls the humidity. This air handler has supply (cold air) ducting to the cabin unit, and the bathroom exhaust goes back to it to give up energy to the fresh air coming into the ship.

Yes, there is always a breeze from the passageway, since the passageways are designed to have a positive pressure in them. There are few return vents from the passageways, since they are open to multiple fire zones and multiple decks via the ladderways.

The fact that the cabins are prefabricated means nothing, since even you say that they have to connect to the exhaust duct.

What you don't realize is that all cruise ships' a/c ducting is what Novenco calls "Hi-Press" systems (other companies call it other things), where the air is moved at much higher pressures than home or commercial a/c, for the very reason that the ducts can be very small. The cabin unit and the diffuser grille in the cabin drops the pressure so you don't hear it. In fact the supply air duct is no larger than the small exhaust duct that you mention for the bathroom.

A typical cabin supply vent is a 4" diameter round vent, about the size of your shower fan vent at home, and the same size as the bathroom exhaust duct.

Sorry, I'm not going to argue this anymore, I'll put my 40 years experience as a ship's engineer against yours.

Novenco IDEC system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco.biz%2Flog%2Fnovenco10%2Flibrary%2FMarine%2FIDAC%2520mu13128%252004.05.pdf&ei=zGdVU56RNrOgsATQvIAo&usg=AFQjCNF9pxl375OeTlNW_pC0hvWXlnJNFQ

Novenco MicroVent system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEsQFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco.biz%2Flog%2Fnovenco10%2Flibrary%2FMarine%2FMicrovent%2520mu13129%252004.05.pdf&ei=zGdVU56RNrOgsATQvIAo&usg=AFQjCNE7UWLw7_T6kmUa9H3OhsAqERAwtg

Novenco FlexAir system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cruise%20ship%20air%20conditioning%20air%20handler%20units&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.novenco-marine.com%2Fen%2FDownloads%2FDocumentation%2F~%2Fmedia%2FDownloads%2FBrochures%2FHMO%2FAir%2520Conditioning%2520FLEXAIR%2520mu14047%25200908.ashx&ei=FmxVU9KDNsK3sASAqIHQAg&usg=AFQjCNEmL-xCCJ8TllpBELJAgJgbmpcSjg

Enjoy reading.

Sorry but they are not going to have the high pressure system and also piped chilled water with fan coil units that would be double the piping ducts just not goubg to happen. Yes they have air handlers ahu for dining rooms lounges theatre's etc but the original op asked about his room not the general areas so the answer to his or her question is yes your room has its own tstat and chilled water/ fan coil and should be controlled individually.

Sorry but they are not going to have the high pressure system and also piped chilled water with fan coil units that would be double the piping ducts just not goubg to happen. Yes they have air handlers ahu for dining rooms lounges theatre's etc but the original op asked about his room not the general areas so the answer to his or her question is yes your room has its own tstat and chilled water/ fan coil and should be controlled individually.

Okay, here is the manufacturer of the Mariner's A/C system: Koja OY. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mariner%20of%20the%20seas%20air%20conditioning&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koja.fi%2Fen%2Fair_conditioning_ships%2Fmarine-projects%2Fmariner-of-the-seas-and-navigator-of-the-seas&ei=y6FVU7OfDdPNsQTZm4Ig&usg=AFQjCNHXVxsnkc2GwwBbR5St7SKjLyM6WA)

Here is their product manual for their marine air conditioning system: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=koja%20air%20conditioning%20cabin%20unit%20specifications&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koja.fi%2Fuploads%2Fpdf%2FFutureMarine.pdf&ei=359VU7ORDcfisATIioHoDQ&usg=AFQjCNFIclbj2wTGpDq7GCxdzUo0A-Kn1w

Please note pages 8-10 (which I won't reproduce here, as it is easier to see them in the original pdf format), which outlines the various systems used to control cabin temperatures. Note specifically page 10 which outlines the CFAF system where there is a cabin unit in each cabin with a fan, cooling (by chilled water), reheating, and filter which is supplied by an air handler unit handling several cabins through supply ducting, which has a chilled water cooling coil and reheater coil (the + and - symbols on the air handler), and which recycles energy from the bathroom exhaust using the enthalpy wheel (the x symbol).

Koja has also supplied this system to the newest Oasis/Allure ships. This type of system has been in use on cruise ships for many years (at least 20), and the use of the enthalpy wheel to reclaim energy from the exhaust is one of the major steps up in efficiency over the years.

• Passenger and crew cabins´ air conditioning fancoils and air devices

For the Allure and Oasis from the referenced weblink. To me this would mean one fan coil per cabin. When we design a school with fancoils, they get one fancoil per classroom with their own tstat. Make-up air is supplied by a common smaller air handler serving all the rooms on a zone. Similar to chilled beams popular in Europe.

• Passenger and crew cabins´ air conditioning fancoils and air devices

For the Allure and Oasis from the referenced weblink. To me this would mean one fan coil per cabin. When we design a school with fancoils, they get one fancoil per classroom with their own tstat. Make-up air is supplied by a common smaller air handler serving all the rooms on a zone. Similar to chilled beams popular in Europe.

Yes, that is what the CFAF system cabin unit is, is a small fan coil unit. However, the make-up air handler (fan coil) serves 50-100 cabins (generally all the cabins in one fire zone, or at least 2-3 decks of that zone), so its not so small.

Sorry, I am not a technical person but does that mean keeping the bathroom door open would circulate and cool the room better?

In my observation, the square-inches of the gap below the door is much more than sufficient to supply the discharge air volume of the bathroom exhaust. Some report that their bathroom is not ventilated, they are, you just can't hear the fan like at home since it is a common one far away sucking out many bathrooms at the same time.

I would also assume the exhaust from the bathroom enters into the air balance equation to relieve the room pressure.

• 10 years later...