First time sailing in 64 days

I've been lurking for a few months, and commented on other posts for about a month. I've been able to find a lot of answers here and view many debates. I have, for now, 2 questions I haven't been able to find answers to. Hopefully someone will have experience with or knowledge about them. Oh, if it helps, we'll be sailing on the Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston.

1.) I have a few prescription drugs. One I have to take every day, at approximately the same time. I take it at 11:30, but have a leeway of 30 minutes either way. The other two are not mandatory, but if I take them throughout the day, it will be a much more pleasurable experience. I'm not so concerned about the mandatory one, as it'll be gone when I re-board, but one of the others is a liquid. Has anyone ever had any problem taking medications off and back the ship during excursions? They are expensive and would hate to have them confiscated by customs, or anybody for that matter. Do I need anything special from my doctor saying it's prescribed, or is the label on the bottle enough? Is it ever a problem?

2.) As I said, we're sailing in 64 days. I can't find anywhere on Royal's website what evening entertainment will be, or how to reserve seats. I've searched their FAQ's. Do we have to wait until we are on board? I don't think that's the case, but why can't I see what my choices are or reserve them?

We take a family vacation every year (nine of us this year, ranging from my 64-year-old parents, down to my brother's 2 toddlers) and we've never had a enough votes for a cruise. I got seriously sick last fall (hence the meds) and used that to push my bucket list vacation on everyone. But part of that is I'm in charge of all the booking, etc... so I'll probably have more questions, but these are the pressing ones for now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Can't say for sure about prescriptions drugs in foreign countries. But it seems that as long has they have the prescription label on them it shouldn't be a problem. Guess it depends on the medicine, and if it's a controlled drug that would be illegally desired. You may want to try and get a note from your doctor just as a backup. You also might want to call RCCL and ask them if they have any information regarding taking prescription drugs ashore.

As for reserving shows, the only one that really matters is the ice show. You log into the RCCL website and access your reservation. There is a place to reserve entertainment. But really it is pretty easy to just show up and get seats. The ice show is the smallest venue and sometimes harder to standby for. I think on Navigator (at least it was on Voyager), there were no tickets for any of the other shows. But again, if you log onto your reservation it will show what shows offer reservations.

Split up the meds and only take what you need for that day onshore. The pharmacy can give you an extra labeled (empty) bottle....or reuse one you have since you said it was liquid).

We recently cruised with my DH's meds -- I took a week's worth in his week dispenser and then the rest in his RX bottles (never know when a ship may be delayed on return).

A note from your dr. also can't hurt. Better to be overly prepared than not.

You are not able to make reservations ahead of time for any shows on the Navigator.

Only on oasis and Allure can you reserve most shows and on the Freedom and Liberty you can reserve the ice show.

You may be able to make reservations for the ice show once you are on board. Each ship seems to handle that differently.

Just show up about 15 minutes before the scheduled start and you will be able to get a seat. Go a bit earlier than that if you have a large group.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

You should have no problem with your prescription drugs. Just carry them in your pocket, and don't worry about it. Nobody checks your pockets getting off the ship for a day in port. And I've never seen anybody's pockets being checked coming back on the ship unless the metal detector alarmed when they walked through it.

You don't need reservations for shows on Navigator, except for the Ice Show. Usually that's not really a reservation, you are just instructed to show up at a specific time and place to get tickets to the performance you choose. You'll find that information in your Cruise Compass - that's the daily news sheet/schedule that you get in your cabin each day.

Have a great cruise!!:)

Judy

My pharmacist is able to split the prescription into individual bottles. If you are having the prescription refilled between now and then just ask for 3 days worth in individual bottles. That way you can leave the bulk on ship and only need to take ashore what you need that day.

Alternatively ask for a second labelled container and measure over yourself enough to take ashore for one dose. Then you can just bring the empty bottle back onboard and use for the next port.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of using empty bottles for the liquid. That'll probably be the way I go.

And glad I wasn't just overlooking the reservations. I was thinking I was going selectively blind. :)

Not being able to reserve seats for the any of the shows before we board brings up another question.

We decided to do MTD because for most of us 5:30 is too early, especially on shore days, and 8 is too late for some of us. We don't mind having set times, in fact, with our family, it's better that way, just not 5:30 or 8. But if we want to eat before or after a show, we need to know when they perform. Does anyone know the schedules for shows, theater, ice, comedy, etc...? Thanks.

Not being able to reserve seats for the any of the shows before we board brings up another question.

We decided to do MTD because for most of us 5:30 is too early, especially on shore days, and 8 is too late for some of us. We don't mind having set times, in fact, with our family, it's better that way, just not 5:30 or 8. But if we want to eat before or after a show, we need to know when they perform. Does anyone know the schedules for shows, theater, ice, comedy, etc...? Thanks.

They set the show times to be convenient for the two traditional dining times. Figure around 7:30pm - 8pm for the early diners and around 6:30pm - 7pm (for shows before dinner) or 10pm - 10:30pm (for shows after dinner) for the late dining. Ice shows are sometimes in the afternoon, so you will have to see the Cruise Compass for details.

I have a letter from our M.D, for all our Medications. The cruise line has never asked for it. It was asked for but, not looked at, when going through customs once a few years ago. In Switzerland of all places!

I did get examined a bit closer when I brought my liquid med back to the ship in Cozumel. They were screening for alcohol. They examined the bottle and let me through. The bottle was properly labeled by my US pharmacy . That has only happened once and it was closer to 9/11. I have not had any problems since then. I carry pills in a separate unlabeled pill box and they have never questioned me about those.

Enjoy your cruise. I bet it will not be your last one!

Enjoy your cruise. I bet it will not be your last one!

I've already got my next one planned. If I enjoy the June one, I'll be joining a large group of friends on a Carnival cruise in January. Most have already booked it, but I'm waiting to see how June goes. I'm sure I'll go. :)

As a general rule it is a good idea to have copies if prescriptions and carry drugs in original containers. Sone countries have very different and more strict rules on certain items. Certain over the counter meds here also require scripts elsewhere.