Back to back - is 29 days on board too long?

Aussie_Kiwi_Family

As you see everyone has different answers. For us if the destination is the goal I need to have enough vacation time to actually see it upon arrival. If the cruise days are the goal anything goes.

Our longest cruise was 18 days and we loved it. But for us I think we get more satisfaction in two 14 days then 28 in a row. What we do not like are seven day cruises when we are in work intense situations. Relaxation finally sets on the day before disembarkation. So we have only done one of those.

The transpacific cruise is a lot of sea days if you want to see Hawaii and Canada.

Hi

I would say go for it and see how it all goes. We are doing 37 nights starting on 2nd May, 3 cruises in a row and we are really looking forward to it!

We are doing Norwegian Fjords, Med and Baltic capitals.

We have done two 28 day cruises albeit with different companies, but came home so relaxed and ready to face the next 12 months. :)

I don't view this as the number of 'days' in itself---but rather -- to me, its WAAAAY tooooo many sea days.

But-- if thats your cup of tea--- GREAT!

We did Dec 7th >> Jan 5th on the INFINITY this past year, but there were MANY wonderful port stops--- Panama Canal, down one side of S.America, + back up to B/A. So it was ( numerically ) similar to yours, but quite different in character.

My wife and I are fairly independent people and we cruise a fair amount. We have found that "a cabin decreases in size by 5 sq ft every day" so on a longer cruise, it begins to feel tight (of course it doesn't physically shrink). we've found that under 10 days isn't worth it (although we are already planning to do a 7 day just because it's convenient and we'll have spent a week at a rented house the week before so it's effectively a 14 day vacation). We've also found that 28 days is about the maximum. I'm sort of joking about the cabin size...but it's more close togetherness than we are used to (not meant romantically but we have our own offices, etc). The other factor is that we have been travelling in aqua exclusively and they have 14 days of menus and then they repeat (not always in the same order, but the same menus). That's true of the MDR as well, but I can't address that from personal experience. 28 days of the exact same little ramikens of humus, carrots, whatever...never changing gets tiring in aqua and would anywhere...I mean how difficult would it be to serve something else first? While we are not booking other than celebrity cruises, we've booked a 28 day celebrity B2B in concierge class so we can compare.

Not sure any of the above helps..but it gives a different perspective. I'd add that if you are trying more than 2 in a room, I would probably change that line to "a cabin shrinks 10 square feet a day".

Cruising anywhere is fun, cruising on longer cruises is fun, but when you're on a ship longer, there are some things that may bother you, important or not and you probably won't know until you try a longer cruise.

I am not sure that the amount of sea days, coupled with a 7 and 8 year old (however well-behaved) would be relaxing by any stretch of the description. Personally, I would probably be very hesitant about doing it with children. If it were just me and DH, I would probably give it a shot, although honestly speaking for myself only I think by maybe mid-week three I would have had about enough of cruising for awhile. Ten days to two weeks seems like the perfect match for me, but as has been said everyone is different. I am sure some would love this idea, kids included. (and I cruised with my son a lot - this is not about not liking to cruise with kids-only about length and number of sea days)

We did a similar itinerary two years ago on Princess and have the Sydney to Honolulu leg booked for 2015 as well as a 17 day cruise previous. The only thing I didn't care for was the 5 sea days in a row and that was mainly because it was on a smaller ship - Sea Princess. This cruise is in the Solstice which should offer many more options during sea days. If you enjoy cruising and don't mind some time at sea I'm sure you will love it!

I don't view this as the number of 'days' in itself---but rather -- to me, its WAAAAY tooooo many sea days.

But-- if thats your cup of tea--- GREAT!

We did Dec 7th >> Jan 5th on the INFINITY this past year, but there were MANY wonderful port stops--- Panama Canal, down one side of S.America, + back up to B/A. So it was ( numerically ) similar to yours, but quite different in character.

You raise a very good point. As you say, it is not just the total number of days but where they are spent.

Psychologically there is a big difference between a long port intensive coastal cruise where you are never that far from shore and a transatlantic or transpacific cruise that spends many days in a row out at sea far away from land, especially if someone is not feeling well.

We've been to Vancouver. We take long cruises and have crossed the Pacific.

In my opinion, you will be at sea too long with the children.

Hawaii to Vancouver is all sea except for a few hours cruising passed the San Juan Islands. Buchart Gardens is very small, it's one of the main attractions when in Vancouver.

The whole ship shrinks by the day not just the cabin. There are too many days at sea with children and a long flight to return home. I have no problem with long cruises, just that particular itinerary.

Sorry for the negative post. Just stay over in Honolulu for a longer holiday.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

We've been to Vancouver. We take long cruises and have crossed the Pacific.

In my opinion, you will be at sea too long with the children.

Hawaii to Vancouver is all sea except for a few hours cruising passed the San Juan Islands. Buchart Gardens is very small, it's one of the main attractions when in Vancouver.

The whole ship shrinks by the day not just the cabin. There are too many days at sea with children and a long flight to return home. I have no problem with long cruises, just that particular itinerary.

Sorry for the negative post. Just stay over in Honolulu for a longer holiday.

jls

Actually Butchart Gardens are just outside of Victoria on Vancouver Island.

Thanks so much everyone. I have just made a booking and paid the deposit!

We work really hard during the year, and before this cruise we will be working extra, so the thought of some sea days to relax is great. Its the only time that we get to switch off completely. The thought of no cooking/ cleaning and getting to be family focused of just magic.

I really like the idea of getting to know our fellow passengers and the staff.

My daughter loves the kids clubs and loves the attention and learning all the new things.

I just wish we had more time for Vancouver, but we will at least have 4 full days I think! I will look the direct flight back to Sydney - that sounds like a winner to me!

In Vancouver there's Stanley Island to explore.

Yes, Butchart is a major tourist attraction for Vancouver but on Victoria Island.

We stayed at the deluxe PanPacific Hotel (where ships dock and embark on holidays to Alaska). As we were enroute to Alaska.

From Pan Pacific we took a day tour meeting at 7am in the lobby. We went by bus to the ferry that took us to Victoria where we met another bus to town and the Butchart Gardens. The Gardens was a must see for us. They are lovely, well done for a gardener/landscape planner like myself. We wished we'd had more time to tour the gardens. Realistically speaking, they are small and a non-gardener has seen enough in 45 minutes.

We proceeded back to Vancouver and the Empress Hotel for tea and the glory of it all. No, it wasn't the right hour for tea. Most agents of the hotel were like sales in a glorified childrens clothing store, meaning uppity for what reason.

We took time for a nice lunch at a restaurant on the harbor close to the Empress Hotel. Very nice.

The next day we boarded a ship at the harbor under the PanPacific and took a cruise to Seward/Anchorage. The interesting passengers from Tasmania were friendly and shared their concern that they had travelled a long way to see land landscape in Alaska that was just like the landscape at home.

In my opinion, wait on booking airfare for your cruise. It's too far in advance. Keep yourself open to change.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

I think it would depend on your kids more than anything else. Have they cruised before? Do they enjoy cruising? Are their attitudes easy-going? I didn't think I could ever cruise that long because of the food temptations, but now I think I think I could! You know your family the best! It sounds wonderful to me; I love cruising!

I was on the Silhouette last year for 29 days and could of kept sailing. I agree with others that have said only you know your family. I know my kids at that age would have been great for about 10 days and then the restlessness would settle in, especially with a lot of sea days. It sounds like a wonderful trip and if you feel you and your children won't tire of it then go for it. I would just worry it is a long time to be away from home and friends.

In Vancouver there's Stanley Island to explore.

Yes, Butchart is a major tourist attraction for Vancouver but on Victoria Island.

We stayed at the deluxe PanPacific Hotel (where ships dock and embark on holidays to Alaska). As we were enroute to Alaska.

From Pan Pacific we took a day tour meeting at 7am in the lobby. We went by bus to the ferry that took us to Victoria where we met another bus to town and the Butchart Gardens. The Gardens was a must see for us. They are lovely, well done for a gardener/landscape planner like myself. We wished we'd had more time to tour the gardens. Realistically speaking, they are small and a non-gardener has seen enough in 45 minutes.

We proceeded back to Vancouver and the Empress Hotel for tea and the glory of it all. No, it wasn't the right hour for tea. Most agents of the hotel were like sales in a glorified childrens clothing store, meaning uppity for what reason.

We took time for a nice lunch at a restaurant on the harbor close to the Empress Hotel. Very nice.

The next day we boarded a ship at the harbor under the PanPacific and took a cruise to Seward/Anchorage. The interesting passengers from Tasmania were friendly and shared their concern that they had travelled a long way to see land landscape in Alaska that was just like the landscape at home.

In my opinion, wait on booking airfare for your cruise. It's too far in advance. Keep yourself open to change.

jls

Firstly, Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, on Vancouver ISLAND and has nothing to do with attractions in Vancouver as it's not even in Vancouver. And Stanley PARK is not an island at all but is located in Vancouver and truly a site to behold.

What is amusing is that when we visited New Zealand, we had the same opinion as to the landscape! It is remarkably similar to the vistas of the Pacific Northwest. It certainly didn't detract from learning about different cultures mind you! The skiing is much better at Whistler though! I do believe that Vancouver has consistently rated in the top 5 places in the world in which to live. You will hopefully experience why when you visit.

Happy travels to all.

The follow-ups to my post give reason to correct me and offer more information.

Since the OP wants information, why not add some when correcting my word choices. I don't live in Vancouver. We crossed the Pacific and spent a couple of overnights at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver, or Vancouver Island. My post are an attempt at information. Please correct me as you please, but add something if you know more.

I note, no one has offered a "thank you".

Happy cruising to all, no matter how long, no matter how many, no matter the ports.

jls

We did 29 days on the Solstice in 2012 from Sydney to Hawaii via the GBR. The cruise up the GBR had 400+children onboard they all seemed to have a good time.

The next cruise from Sydney to Hawaii had less children and to be honest with you they seemed bored on sea says. Celebrity has a children's program but it is nothing like Royal Caribbean.

As others have said you know your children and it will be a trip of a lifetime for your family. We found there was a lot of Australian and New Zealand families on this cruise so lots of playmates for your Family.

Whatever you decide I do hope you have a great cruise.

Thank you everyone!! I have already been looking up your tips for Vancouver!

It looks like a truly beautiful place to visit.

Vancouver is a wonderful city.

If you are really determined to travel all that time and distance to get there, do try to tack on additional time for exploring Canada, and/or for taking a cruise up to Alaska.

It would really be a shame to travel all that distance to get to Canada and then turn around and fly right home after only a couple of days in Vancouver when there are so many other wonderful places to see.

Imagine if someone from the USA or Canada were to take a cruise all the way across the ocean to Australia, get off the ship to spend only a short time at the first port, then board an airplane and fly right back home, claiming that they have "been to" Australia.

That is the equivalent of what you are proposing.

If you do not intend to spend any more time in Canada than previously described and will not be visiting Alaska either, it would make more sense to end the cruise in Hawaii.

That way you could have a true Hawaiian vacation, where you really get to relax and unwind.

Also, a much shorter flight to get home.

Save that long cruise to Canada for another vacation when you will have time to savor and enjoy being in Canada and can get more than just a glimpse of one port city, as lovely a city as it is.

Besides, after spending 29 days on a cruise ship most people would not be at all eager to board an airplane for such a very long flight only a few days later.

Thank you everyone!! I have already been looking up your tips for Vancouver!

It looks like a truly beautiful place to visit.

Another place to see is Granville Island. This is a delightful market in one building among others that house crafts of various kinds, and also a kids market that would be sure to delight your children. There are restaurants in the area too or you can choose things to eat at the market and find yourself a table overlooking the Burrard inlet.

Perhaps if you go all the way to Vancouver it will just whet your appetite for another vacation some day to Canada. That is what happened to us with Sydney. We sailed in to Sydney after 31 days on the ship and went straight to the airport...sadly. We were back in Sydney 8 weeks later on a part work, part pleasure trip and spent 3 weeks btwn Sydney and Brisbane. A delightful country. Happy planning to a wonderful cruise.

As this is the first entry into the US, we had to do immigration on the ship. US and Canadian pax went to the back of the ship and were 'processed' in no time. The rest of us went to the front...and 3 hours later got 'processed' (2 officers for 1500 odd people!). Lots of people were not happy and missed tours.

Simon

This is typical of US immigration for non-US nationals. Perhaps not as bad as the charmless and ignorant grunting morons at LAX, but typical of the "welcome" which we receive. Travelling on several flights soon after 9/11, I was regularly singled out for additional screening, the only possible reason for which was my beard. The US Immigration Service does a great disservice to the great people we meet once we get past their churlish and rude behaviour. The problem is that US nationals never see the 'welcome' that the rest of us get. (Compare with Canada, which I visited last year, to see how security and civility can be combined).

Stuart