Dining and no time assigned?

joeyillinois

Ok, I must be getting old, but I can't remember if I went with flexible dining or not when I reserved. The last time I sailed I only remember having to chose a time. The reservation says Confirmed main, request table of 6. After thinking about it - it might be interesting to be seated at tables with different people through the 7 day cruise. (though I was fine with the same group when we went 4 or 5 years ago. Last time I sailed I think breakfast wasn't assigned & maybe not even lunch.

Question - Do I have a specfic time dining and will be assigned or flexible time (can't tell). And, is there any pros/cons to the flexible?

I believe confirmed main is the second fixed seating. It has been so long since we have done fixed I am not 100% sure. We enjoy the flexibility of open seating plus we get to enjoy new passengers every night.

They never asked which seating just whether flexible or can't remember the other :) I would have opted for first seating anyway. How do I change that? And how do I change to flexible.

Call your travel agent. Theoretically, the open/flexible seatings don't fill up like the fixed seatings do. The earlier you make the change, the better.

I made my reservations online directly with Holland America.

Call HAL. The fact that you want to move to open seating makes me think you will be successful. :)

The person setting up your itinerary might have been hoping to do you a favor by scheduling a seating for you.

After doing some checking I decided we wanted fixed seating rather than making reservations every night. So... chatted with HAL and according to the chat line the early seating was filled up over a couple of months ago when I booked -- that's why I got the late 8 p.m. seating.

I could be put on a wait list -- for early, but then I would lose my confirmed late seating. so.. if I didn't get the early seating I would be put in open seating. After thinking about it, I don't want to make reservations every day for eating.

So... right now I let it sit. Maybe I can get it changed when I get on board ship.

I'm not sure what size your party is - and if you said, then you're not the only one getting old :) - If you approach the dining room managers on embarkation day and ask nicely, I would tend to think that your chances of success will be really, really high. We have been in an "overbooked six" or "overbooked four" on a couple of occasions. We were always able to get things fixed once we got on the ship.

I know that this is going to sound cliché, but "Be Nice." It works.

Edited by POA1

Sounds good, It's just the 2 of us. So basically approach the dining room manager at the 5:45 p.m. time and see if they can fit us in then instead of the 8 p.m.? Or, ask earlier?

NO, do not wait until the early dining time to address your concerns. First, the place will be a zoo the first night as everyone is finding their tables for the first time and the manager will not have time for you.

Second, the best thing to do is find the dining room manager as soon as you board and ask to be changed. They usually are set up with their computer in a public area. Ask at the front desk if you cannot find him (you may also check in the main dining room - they should know).

DaveOKC

Sounds good, It's just the 2 of us. So basically approach the dining room manager at the 5:45 p.m. time and see if they can fit us in then instead of the 8 p.m.? Or, ask earlier?

If you can swing it, it would be best to contact the dining room manager as soon as you board. You're not going to be the only ones trying to switch tables and times.