Hoping Carnival gets with the program

mg33626

All joking aside, New Yorkers (who like to sail without flying - and who would not like that expense taken away - got ripped off. It is def. possible that they made a great business move, being the first cruise line to put a brand new ship in a brand new market. Time will tell.

While it was a business decision, it was helped along by Bermuda who failed to dredge their channel for the new ship. While RCI never says this in their press release, news of this came out of Bermuda publications that Bermuda's own inaction lost the Quantum.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Bermuda-loses-Quantum-to-China/-3/1288/76876

The only thing about QUANTUM that sparks my interest is all the dining options. Other than that, nothing floats my boat.

I think she looks hideous – externally, that is. And the giant arm with that silly gondola on the end is just ridiculous.

I think LIBERTY OF THE SEAS is about as extreme as I want to go. I like to feel like I'm on a ship.

While it was a business decision, it was helped along by Bermuda who failed to dredge their channel for the new ship. While RCI never says this in their press release, news of this came out of Bermuda publications that Bermuda's own inaction lost the Quantum.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Bermuda-loses-Quantum-to-China/-3/1288/76876

And this is going to change for Anthem? Bermuda doesn't want huge ships.

Mek:

In what ships did you sail in the 70's? The reason I ask is I'm from Cincinnati (I live in Lawrenceburg) and have over 12,000 items in my ocean liner memorabilia collection. I always like to chat with folks who have a lengthy cruising history.

I've been on 50+ cruises. My first cruise in 1972, was on Eastern Steamship, but I don't remember the name of the ship. A girlfriend and I booked a package that included RT air from Columbus to Miami, a 3 night cruise, and 4 nights at a Miami Beach hotel,(really on the beach), for $260 pp. Of course that was a lot of money for us back then. Fast forward to 1982 and my husband and I took our first cruise together on Carnival's Mardi Gras. I have a file cabinet with a folder on every cruise I have ever taken and all of the daily programs. What kind of memorabilia do you collect?

We've sailed on Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and a couple of lines no longer around - Regency and Dolphin. Our cruise travels have taken us to the Caribbean, the Med, Baltic, Alaska, Hawaii, Bermuda, coastal cruises on the east and west coasts, Mexico, a transatlantic, and South America.

Guess you can tell we love cruising!

And this is going to change for Anthem? Bermuda doesn't want huge ships.

They're considering it so someone in Bermuda must want huge ships or at least the $$$ they bring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is interesting. The Freedom can for but not the Quantum?

I've been on 50+ cruises. My first cruise in 1972, was on Eastern Steamship, but I don't remember the name of the ship. A girlfriend and I booked a package that included RT air from Columbus to Miami, a 3 night cruise, and 4 nights at a Miami Beach hotel,(really on the beach), for $260 pp. Of course that was a lot of money for us back then. Fast forward to 1982 and my husband and I took our first cruise together on Carnival's Mardi Gras. I have a file cabinet with a folder on every cruise I have ever taken and all of the daily programs. What kind of memorabilia do you collect?

We've sailed on Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and a couple of lines no longer around - Regency and Dolphin. Our cruise travels have taken us to the Caribbean, the Med, Baltic, Alaska, Hawaii, Bermuda, coastal cruises on the east and west coasts, Mexico, a transatlantic, and South America.

Guess you can tell we love cruising!

Thanks for the response. Looks like our cruising history is similar. As far as what kind of memorabilia I collect, it's anything and everything from and about ocean liners. I have furniture, hundreds of models, thousands of photos, menus, deck plans, passenger lists, china, silverware, programs, books, etc....you name it, I collect it. Some of the stuff dates back to the late 1800s. I have a small museum in my house! Not sure if it's appropriate to share a link but, here goes anyway...

-Russ

That is interesting. The Freedom can for but not the Quantum?

Yes, very interesting – especially considering that QUANTUM, EXPLORER and FREEDOM all have a draught of 28-29ft.

Smaller ships can dock at Hamilton and St. George's, while the bigger ships dock at King's Wharf. I don't see QUANTUM's size as being an issue. Sounds like just an excuse to save face.

Yes, very interesting – especially considering that QUANTUM, EXPLORER and FREEDOM all have a draught of 28-29ft.

Smaller ships can dock at Hamilton and St. George's, while the bigger ships dock at King's Wharf. I don't see QUANTUM's size as being an issue. Sounds like just an excuse to save face.

Excuse?

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Mobile-Site-Home/Mobile/Article/Quantum-s-too-big-for-Bermuda/-5/-5/73160

Sent from my Bat Phone

Thanks for the link, but, dimensions don't lie. If the north and south channels can handle LIBERTY and EXPLORER OF THE SEAS, they can handle QUANTUM. The article says that the main issue is her draught, but her draught will be the same as both LIBERTY and EXPLORER (actually, she'll draw one foot less than EXPLORER). The width of the channel is also a non-issue since both LIBERTY and EXPLORER also have a greater beam.

The only thing bigger about QUANTUM is her length (1,114 ft.), which should have nothing to do with negotiating the channel.

RCI simply wants to tap heavily into a different market with QUANTUM than it had originally planned.

Thanks for the link, but, dimensions don't lie. If the north and south channels can handle LIBERTY and EXPLORER OF THE SEAS, they can handle QUANTUM. The article says that the main issue is her draught, but her draught will be the same as both LIBERTY and EXPLORER (actually, she'll draw one foot less than EXPLORER). The width of the channel is also a non-issue since both LIBERTY and EXPLORER also have a greater beam.

The only thing bigger about QUANTUM is her length (1,114 ft.), which should have nothing to do with negotiating the channel.

RCI simply wants to tap heavily into a different market with QUANTUM than it had originally planned.

Deflection is the root of all evil.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the response. Looks like our cruising history is similar. As far as what kind of memorabilia I collect, it's anything and everything from and about ocean liners. I have furniture, hundreds of models, thousands of photos, menus, deck plans, passenger lists, china, silverware, programs, books, etc....you name it, I collect it. Some of the stuff dates back to the late 1800s. I have a small museum in my house! Not sure if it's appropriate to share a link but, here goes anyway...

-Russ

What an amazing collection! I see you have quite a few White Star items - are any of those from Olympic?

I have dozens of items from OLYMPIC, as well as many other WSL ships. The china is dated 1909, so it's before OLYMPIC. Same pattern used on her and TITANIC though.

Many thanks for the kudos. I've been at this for nearly 30 years.

-Russ