True to Self

devildawg23

I guess I can be considered a chair hog because when I go to the jacuzzis, I put my key card, swim cover up and towel on a chair that I can see. I will stay in the jacuzzi and switch back and forth to the pool for a couple of hours. I don't mind when people sit in the chair, just don't touch my stuff. I do yell out to them that it's my stuff on the chair. There are plenty of chairs all around the cruise ship. I don't understand why people get upset about others using the chairs while they are in the pool area.

I've even had people put their stuff on my chair, while I'm in the pool, and getting in the pool too. I don't mind at all.

Smuggling and chair hogging are two different categories.

I don't drink and have no desire to be in the deck chair locations that many cruisers seem to covet. So I'm not sure if I get to claim to have more highly elevated social morals in this case. Do you have some other test that I could try?

I'm in the same boat. I don't drink, so I don't smuggle. And I don't care to lie out in the sun, so deck chairs by the pool are of no concern to me.

But what if I did drink, and did want to lounge by the pool? I still wouldn't smuggle and chair hog. I too believe that rules are made to be followed (rules that are clearly immoral excepted), and also I want to set a good example for my children, so that (hopefully) they won't grow up with the entitlement mentality that says that the rules apply to thee, but not to me.

Moreover, these are not victimless crimes. Smuggling costs the cruise line in lost alcohol revenue, which they have to make up by raising the cost of my cruise ticket. And chair hogging can potentially lead to angry confrontations, which detracts from the happy enjoyment of the pool area on the part of other nearby patrons.

As I am a big believer in staying true to your standards, I am curious if people are consistent on two of the biggest issues. To be specific, if you think alcohol smuggling is wrong, are you also against chair hogging? If you are for smuggling, are you also for chair hogging? Do you see a difference between the two that you can justify?

Huh? What's the connection between the two? Other than both are against the cruise ship's policies......does that mean you think that if you break one policy, you must also think it's OK to break all the policies? That people must be all or nothing, that the world is black or white with no grey?

And what does any of that have to do with being "true to self"?

I'm lost.

I think it is a fair question, but my first thought after reading the post was why are some folks so tied up with the smuggling subject? Is it the new dress code discussion? :confused:

While I do think th equestion by itself is fair, I question the real reason to start the subject because I have seen several smuggling threads started under some clever disguise for the real intention of just getting debate going again. The subject really pulls some peoples strings and honestly I don't understand it.

Burt

I don't really see what one has to do with the other, but I'll bite.

I do not smuggle myself, but I don't care if someone else does. More power to them, and maybe they'll make me a drink.

I am NOT ok with chair hogging. That affects me. Alcohol smuggling does not.

Selfish? Maybe. Don't care.

Well put. We have smuggled alcohol, and do not feel bad because it doesn't directly impact any other passengers. And no I don't believe the cruise lines are losing out on so much money which then raises the price of your ticket because peole smuggle alcohol on - I think the prices that are charged for alcohol on board is ridiculous and is the company's way of sucking every last drop of money out of us.

However chogging DOES impact other passengers. I don't chog, and have never had a problem finding a seat wherever we wanted one because we aren't picky. Hypothetically though is every single chair was occupied and there was someone who was chogging for an hour, I would have no problems claiming that seat.

The point is that both are breaking the rules. So if you are against one, you should be against the other and vice versa. Overall, I don't get worked up about either. I just choose not to be upset when I am on vacation. By the way, I am all about hogging the booze. Hilarious.

I've never suffered 'chair hogs'. We've always found seats when we wanted them.........

We only sail HAL and chair hogs don't seem to be a problem on their ships in the way others imply it is a problem elsewhere.

We have never, not ever, smuggled liquor.

Edited by sail7seas