Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Can anyone tell me if there is a free shuttle from the Car rental drop off place at FLL to the pier? We are staying in Lauderdale-by-the-sea for 3 weeks prior to a cruise on 10.22.16 (Oasis) and will have a car rental. We will take a cab or Uber if necessary but I'm trying to plan in advance. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if there is a free shuttle from the Car rental drop off place at FLL to the pier? We are staying in Lauderdale-by-the-sea for 3 weeks prior to a cruise on 10.22.16 (Oasis) and will have a car rental. We will take a cab or Uber if necessary but I'm trying to plan in advance. Thanks.

There is no free shuttle to port in general, but there is one that is operated/shared by 2 of the companies:Alamo and National.

There are also a few off-airport drop-off locations near the port that have free port shuttles, including Budget on SE 17th St.

Edited by royalcruz

We are planning to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area in January for 5 nights prior to a cruise. Liked the look of Hollywood, with its boardwalk, restaurants and "older" feel but are also open to Fort Lauderdale proper. We will not be renting a car so access to restaurants is important. We don't have to be on the beach, but relatively close would be nice. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

We are planning to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area in January for 5 nights prior to a cruise. Liked the look of Hollywood, with its boardwalk, restaurants and "older" feel but are also open to Fort Lauderdale proper. We will not be renting a car so access to restaurants is important. We don't have to be on the beach, but relatively close would be nice. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and hotel info on the FLL/Hollywood area

The most interesting restaurants in Fort Lauderdale are on Las Olas Blvd. The Riverside Hotel is right there and only about 2 miles from the beach. It's also the oldest hotel in Fort Lauderdale, if you prefer historic. I'm not a Hollywood fan, so I can't advise you there...I've had dinner on the broadwalk a couple of times and it wasn't pleasant, from the parking to food to service.

• 1 month later...

I am on the Feb 12, 2017 sailing on the Freedom of the Seas, traveling with a group. We have a group rate at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

The group rate is $239.00. Reg rate is in the area of $300.00.

The group rate applies to any these dates: Feb 6 - Feb 14, 2017.

We have a parking discount too. During the hotel stay and also during the cruise.

And complimentary in-room wi-fi.

Get in touch if you want more info: desertstorm25th@gmail.com

Here is the hotel info: The Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina

1881 SE 17TH STREET, FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, 33316

The Hilton is 2 miles from the Ft Lauderdale Airport (FLL)

and less than 1 mile from the Cruise Ship Pier.

The group is a military reunion. As we are now less than 4 months from sailing, we need to make sure that all of the rooms in our group block get booked, as we are under a contract with the hotel.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing a B2B on Princess in Ft Lauderdale. On turn around day is there a place to buy wine that is close enough to walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That depends on where you are docked. If there is only 1 Princess ship in port, it will be at terminal 2. Additional Princess ships can be at terminal 4 or 21 (usually). Terminals 2 and 4 are closest to 17th Street and walkable; any other terminal will necessitate a cab. Closest is the Walgreens Drug store at the intersection of Eisenhower Ave and 17th which has a wine section. The Harbor Shops shopping center, about 1 mile away from terminals 2 and 4 off 17th Street at Cordova Road has an extensive wine store, Total Wine and More, and a Publix grocery store with a decent selection of wines. You can check all these locations out on google maps or take a look at the port map: https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf. Walgreens is at the corner of the map at the the intersection of Eisenhower and 17th Street and the Harbor Shops is right above the most western section of the port along 17th Street.

That depends on where you are docked. If there is only 1 Princess ship in port, it will be at terminal 2. Additional Princess ships can be at terminal 4 or 21 (usually). Terminals 2 and 4 are closest to 17th Street and walkable; any other terminal will necessitate a cab. Closest is the Walgreens Drug store at the intersection of Eisenhower Ave and 17th which has a wine section. The Harbor Shops shopping center, about 1 mile away from terminals 2 and 4 off 17th Street at Cordova Road has an extensive wine store, Total Wine and More, and a Publix grocery store with a decent selection of wines. You can check all these locations out on google maps or take a look at the port map: https://res-1.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf. Walgreens is at the corner of the map at the the intersection of Eisenhower and 17th Street and the Harbor Shops is right above the most western section of the port along 17th Street.

We have only done b2b's on RCCL so don't know about Princess, but we are allowed to take on the additional wine the first week, so on a b2b we are allowed to take on 4 bottles the first week. I'd check with Princess, bet they allow it also. Just show the next weeks boarding pass.

Carla

We are doing a B2B on Princess in Ft Lauderdale. On turn around day is there a place to buy wine that is close enough to walk?

Taxi r/t to Total Wine should be about $10+tip - you can pre-order your wine on line with them to speed up the purchase and minimize the taxi waiting time.

We have only done b2b's on RCCL so don't know about Princess, but we are allowed to take on the additional wine the first week, so on a b2b we are allowed to take on 4 bottles the first week. I'd check with Princess, bet they allow it also. Just show the next weeks boarding pass.

Carla

I've done 3 B2Bs on Princess out of Fort Lauderdale and did just that. We showed them the 4 bottles and the 2 sets of boarding passes and had no problem.

Yes, but did not want to carry 4 bottles in luggage. We are flying in day of cruise. Would like to avoid the lines too stand in on turnaround day too and if you get off the ship you avoid all of that too! Thanks

If your turnaround day is a Sunday, Total Wine doesn't open until noon although that may change soon. Up until recently no one in Fort Lauderdale could sell alcohol (including wine and beer) before noon due to antiquated 'blue' laws. Those were rescinded recently so maybe Total Wine will start opening earlier on a Sunday. I'd check their website before you go. Of course Publix (a grocery store) and Walgreens (a drug store) have Sunday morning hours already.

Ft. Lauderdale locals, may i ask you guys on where is the best spot on FLL airport to request an Uber ride? (I posted this on Royal boards as well, if you've already seen it, pls bear with me i'm leaving wednesday)

I always request a ride from outside the departures area on the 2nd level. Departures is less crowded than the arrivals area. If I have a carry-on, it's simple to just exit that way. If I have a checked bag, I just take the escalator upstairs to the 2nd level to go outside. Never had an issue.

Edited by brunello22

I always request a ride from outside the departures area on the 2nd level. Departures is less crowded than the arrivals area. If I have a carry-on, it's simple to just exit that way. If I have a checked bag, I just take the escalator upstairs to the 2nd level to go outside. Never had an issue.

screen saved!.. now that's what im talkin' about. Thank You[emoji846]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Royalcruz, or anyone else who has a great idea...

WE will be sailing on Freedom in January - driving down from Orlando and dropping a SUV off at the FLL airport. I am trying to decide the best way to get from the airport to Port Everglades for a party of 6 with a lot of luggage!

I have a quote from one company for $95. Does that sound good?

Would two taxis be better?

or, is there a way to drop most of us off at the port w/ all luggage, then two pp.. return rental car and taxi bacK?

Thank you for any suggestions....

Hi Royalcruz, or anyone else who has a great idea...

WE will be sailing on Freedom in January - driving down from Orlando and dropping a SUV off at the FLL airport. I am trying to decide the best way to get from the airport to Port Everglades for a party of 6 with a lot of luggage!

I have a quote from one company for $95. Does that sound good?

Would two taxis be better?

or, is there a way to drop most of us off at the port w/ all luggage, then two pp.. return rental car and taxi bacK?

Thank you for any suggestions....

Since you all fit in an SUV you should be able to fit in one of the Van/SUV taxis. They are the same price ($15 - $20) as a sedan taxi. Even if you had to split up into 2 taxis it will be much cheaper than the price quoted by the company.

Since you all fit in an SUV you should be able to fit in one of the Van/SUV taxis. They are the same price ($15 - $20) as a sedan taxi. Even if you had to split up into 2 taxis it will be much cheaper than the price quoted by the company.

It's an XL SUV - a Suburban. I'd like to stay together just because Port Everglades is so big and crazy with several ships in port and people disembarking and boarding....

We will just walk to the taxi stand then.

Thanks for the advice!!!

It's an XL SUV - a Suburban. I'd like to stay together just because Port Everglades is so big and crazy with several ships in port and people disembarking and boarding....

We will just walk to the taxi stand then.

Thanks for the advice!!!

You could drop off luggage, or luggage and some of the passengers, at the terminal before dropping off the SUV at the car rental place. Then you could Uber (around $10) to the port for the best price, or taxi (around $15). Just make sure that anyone you drop off has their boarding pass and passports with them. :)

We will be staying at Bahia mar is there somewhere close we can pick up a few last minute things. Also would like to hear about recent experiences from anyone who has stayed at Bahia mar . Thank you. :)

There's a cvs at Beach Place, less than a mile north on the same street.