Has celebrity offically said trivia will be cut? Or ended?

AmberTeka

We enjoyed the many trivia events we attended on our January 2014 Century cruise except for the last one. Until then, the DJ (yay Roxtar!) had hosted the trivias and they were fun and informative. The last one was hosted by one of the activity staff. We had trouble understanding him and his answers were wrong! (e.g. What river does the city of Montreal lie on? His answer was the Ottawa river!!!! There were other incorrect answers but that one I remember distinctly.) This type of thing takes all the enjoyment out of it for me but it made sense once I started reading of the cutbacks in the activity staff. Make trivia less enjoyable and guests will not attend, hence it is not necessary.

Trivia has been well attended on almost every cruise we've been on, every line. I'd be very disappointed if there is none on our upcoming Celebrity cruise. The one exception to the big attendance was on a short cruise out of Barcelona where there were very few English speakers. I'd think the CDs would need to consider the population and age of the passengers. Many of us retirees like to play trivia and on cruises like TAs where the majority of the passengers are retirees, trivia should get first staffing priority. On port intensive cruises, perhaps port info should come first. Just my opinion as a trivia lover. And I agree about the understanding problem. CDs need to not assign those who have yet to master English to this job. On our recent cruise, we stopped going as it was no fun to not even understand when the word was spelled. Still seemed to have a lot of people there, though.

All of the acapella groups were already gone this winter!

That's really unfortunate. In my opinion if they were going to cut entertainment the first place I would've cut are the "house bands" that play generic cover versions of songs that we've all heard a million times. They could get away with having a DJ play pandora on the jimmy buffett or bob marley station and it would be an improvement, and keep other stuff like the a Capella groups and trivia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's really unfortunate. In my opinion if they were going to cut entertainment the first place I would've cut are the "house bands" that play generic cover versions of songs that we've all heard a million times. They could get away with having a DJ play pandora on the jimmy buffett or bob marley station and it would be an improvement, and keep other stuff like the a Capella groups and trivia.

Celebrity is Really Failing In The "Re-Invention" Process

Gone are the a Capella Groups.

Gone are the Classical String Quartets/Trios !!!

Gone Are the Cova café Sandwiches.

Gone are the Distinguished guest Lecturers

I really want to know what they intend to do to replace these things!

Large screen TVs in what was Cellar Masters. :rolleyes:

Definitely looking to attract a different demographic.

Gone are the a Capella Groups. Not a draw for us

Gone are the Classical String Quartets/Trios !!! Not a draw for us

Gone Are the Cova café Sandwiches. didn't disappear- they are at the buffet now. I think more people went more for the pastries than the sandwiches

Gone are the Distinguished guest Lecturers We had great lecturer's on the Millie this spring - not sure if they were "Distinguished: or not

my comments in red

I know those things are important to you and some other people but for us and our friends, not so much. So hopefully you will find something that will give Celebrity a better grade on your next cruise. :)

Edited by Christine Frances

A no talent beating on a electric drum so loud that the distortion masks the lack of talent.

Recorded music instead of a ship band.

Art auctions

More infomericials that are disguised or advertised as seminars.

Actually I basically go on a cruise to enjoy what is there, the water, nice weather, and the opportunity to associate with people from around the globe. I don't need all the activities, just give me a nice atmosphere, comfortable chairs, drinks, food, socializing and a few ports to make it interesting. The rest is just gravy.

🍸🍻🚢🌊🌅

my comments in red

I know those things are important to you and some other people but for us and our friends, not so much. So hopefully you will find something that will give Celebrity a better grade on your next cruise. :)

I agree with you. We didn't miss a Capella , and were bored by the three-strings

And didn't miss tea sandwiches at al Bacio,

And we loved the house bands!

Edited by 4cats4me

I agree with you. We didn't miss a Capella , and were bored by the three-strings

And didn't miss tea sandwiches at al Bacio,

And we loved the house bands!

Agree with both of you. Also, if they stop doing something I like there will be no need to complain, I will simply find something else to do on the ship. I don't cruise because of an a cappella group or an activity, I cruise because I love cruising. I truly feel sorry if someone only cruises for that one activity or musical group and that being deleted is a deal breaker for them, because they will miss so many great cruising experiences.

Edited by NLH Arizona

A no talent beating on a electric drum so loud that the distortion masks the lack of talent.

Art auctions

Actually I basically go on a cruise to enjoy what is there, the water, nice weather, and the opportunity to associate with people from around the globe. I don't need all the activities, just give me a nice atmosphere, comfortable chairs, drinks, food, socializing and a few ports to make it interesting. The rest is just gravy.

🍸🍻🚢🌊🌅

Agree totally, it is the itinerary first and foremost for me.:D

Art auctions

🍸🍻🚢🌊🌅

Agree totally, it is the itinerary first and doing it in style helps but the entertainment along the way is just supplementry (I do love the trivia though).:D

So glad to hear the a Capella Groups and the Classical String Quartets/Trios are gone. Entertainment definitely needs a revamp on Celebrity. We're on the Century in two weeks, hope to see changes on our cruise.

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

This thread just shows how hard it is when cuts are made. Obviously wherever the cuts are made, some customers will be upset. For me, at least until I can afford to sail Cunard or one of the premium lines, celebrity and princess will be my lines of choice (with a slight edge to celebrity), and the aforementioned cuts aren't going to change that. But that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed (and obviously others who enjoy programs that have been cut are equally disappointed). I think in general it just speaks to the direction of the cruise industry- in an effort to attract more customers cruise lines are constantly trying to lower prices and therefore have to lower costs somehow...

This thread just shows how hard it is when cuts are made. Obviously wherever the cuts are made, some customers will be upset. For me, at least until I can afford to sail Cunard or one of the premium lines, celebrity and princess will be my lines of choice (with a slight edge to celebrity), and the aforementioned cuts aren't going to change that. But that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed (and obviously others who enjoy programs that have been cut are equally disappointed). I think in general it just speaks to the direction of the cruise industry- in an effort to attract more customers cruise lines are constantly trying to lower prices and therefore have to lower costs somehow...

We were simply SPOILED during the early years of Celebrity. As the cruise industry has evolved (or devolved), there is disappointment in that the cruises now are not as good as they had been.. That is pretty much indisputable.

But do we still have a great time...absolutely!

We just got off a Century Pacific Coastal cruise. although not the best cruise ever, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I reviewed the cruise and gave it 4 1/2 stars.

We were simply SPOILED during the early years of Celebrity. As the cruise industry has evolved (or devolved), there is disappointment in that the cruises now are not as good as they had been.. That is pretty much indisputable.

But do we still have a great time...absolutely!

We just got off a Century Pacific Coastal cruise. although not the best cruise ever, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I reviewed the cruise and gave it 4 1/2 stars.

I agree with everything you said. I'm too young to remember what most people refer to the "good ol' days" of cruising (I'm in my mid 30s and didn't take my first cruise until 2008), but even in the past 5 years there's been a noticeable difference in service (via cuts) and even food. My first celebrity cruises they offered filet mignon in the main dinning rooms at least once or twice per cruise. Now if you want filet you have to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. It doesn't ruin cruising by any means, and I agree with the other posters who said they cruise for the ocean, ports, etc., but there's no denying that, as you pointed out, the cruising experience has "devolved". It's definitely becoming more ala carte- if you want the quality of food you used to get in the main dinning room, you eat in the specialty restaurants, and with the suite experience they are rolling out next year perhaps they'll offer expanded activities or entertainment options for the suite passengers who paid more for their cruise. In a way it's like cruising is becoming a lot like the class system that was prevalent on ocean liners pre-1950s...

In a way it's like cruising is becoming a lot like the class system that was prevalent on ocean liners pre-1950s...

I don't think it is turning into a class system. I do wonder if will be completely ala carte one day. Is it going to come to a day, when in an effort to keep cruise fares lower, you pay extra for things like entertainment, activities, etc. On the other hand, it could become all inclusive and thus pricing out a large percentage of cruisers. I guess we will have to see.

People want lower and lower cruise fares (beer), but they want the best of everything (champagne) and that doesn't add up. As the saying goes, you can't have champagne on a beer budget. One poster said that "loyalists" would be willing to pay more to get the experiences of yesteryear, but I seriously doubt that the majority of cruises would be willing to pay more, especially for things that don't really add to their cruising experience. Were some of the things in my first couple in the of cruises great, certainly, but does not having those things change my cruising experience, absolutely not. Cruising is what you make of it; I can lament and complain about what I use to get or I can enjoy everything I get today. I for one would rather do the latter.

I don't think it is turning into a class system. I do wonder if will be completely ala carte one day. Is it going to come to a day, when in an effort to keep cruise fares lower, you pay extra for things like entertainment, activities, etc. On the other hand, it could become all inclusive and thus pricing out a large percentage of cruisers. I guess we will have to see.

People want lower and lower cruise fares (beer), but they want the best of everything (champagne) and that doesn't add up. As the saying goes, you can't have champagne on a beer budget. One poster said that "loyalists" would be willing to pay more to get the experiences of yesteryear, but I seriously doubt that the majority of cruises would be willing to pay more, especially for things that don't really add to their cruising experience. Were some of the things in my first couple in the of cruises great, certainly, but does not having those things change my cruising experience, absolutely not. Cruising is what you make of it; I can lament and complain about what I use to get or I can enjoy everything I get today. I for one would rather do the latter.

I've never cruise Norwegian, but looking recently at their dining options, almost every restaurant requires a surcharge.

I think they set the precedent that you now see in the trend towards more and more specialty restaurants.

On our first cruise on Infinity in 2001, the MDR food and service was SO GOOD, that a trip to their one very small specialty restaurant (the USS United States) seemed to be too much. That sure has changed now, 13 years later.

I've never cruise Norwegian, but looking recently at their dining options, almost every restaurant requires a surcharge.

I think they set the precedent that you now see in the trend towards more and more specialty restaurants.

On our first cruise on Infinity in 2001, the MDR food and service was SO GOOD, that a trip to their one very small specialty restaurant (the USS United States) seemed to be too much. That sure has changed now, 13 years later.

I don't believe that there was a specialty restaurant on my first cruises. I also cruise NCL and don't have a problem paying for their specialty restaurants, I've never eaten in their MDR. They now have an ultimate dining package, where on my November 11 day cruise, it is only around $17 per restaurant (they normally run $15, $20, $25 and $30).

I also cruise with Crystal and they went all inclusive, which includes the specialty restaurants. The problem they have run into is that many only want to eat in the specialty resturants (even though the MDR food is totally outstanding) and many complained that they could get reservations. So what have they done, they are charging passengers a reservation fee if they want to eat more than once in a specialty restaurant, it is $30 (on a seven day cruise, you can eat once in each restaurant without a reservation fee and on a 14 day or more cruise, you can eat twice in each restaurant without a fee).

regarding acappella groups, We did the first TA on the Solstice back in 2009. Had a great group, The Virginia Gentlemen. We did a TA last November on Eclipse (2013) - No group. We just completed a 10 day in the Caribbean on Equinox (April 2014) - No group

I don't believe that there was a specialty restaurant on my first cruises. I also cruise NCL and don't have a problem paying for their specialty restaurants, I've never eaten in their MDR. They now have an ultimate dining package, where on my November 11 day cruise, it is only around $17 per restaurant (they normally run $15, $20, $25 and $30).

I also cruise with Crystal and they went all inclusive, which includes the specialty restaurants. The problem they have run into is that many only want to eat in the specialty resturants (even though the MDR food is totally outstanding) and many complained that they could get reservations. So what have they done, they are charging passengers a reservation fee if they want to eat more than once in a specialty restaurant, it is $30 (on a seven day cruise, you can eat once in each restaurant without a reservation fee and on a 14 day or more cruise, you can eat twice in each restaurant without a fee).

In order to offer the cheaper fares, the cruiselines need to get the extra revenue in somehow. As was said previously, entertainment and activities may well be next.

In order to offer the cheaper fares, the cruiselines need to get the extra revenue in somehow. As was said previously, entertainment and activities may well be next.
I said entertainment and activities may be next. Unless the majority is willing to pay more, not less, then how does anyone think that these businesses can stay in business...they have to be profitable. I for one wouldn't have a problem paying ala carte, just as we basically do at home; if we want to use a service, see or do an activity, etc., we pay for it.

I said entertainment and activities may be next. Unless the majority is willing to pay more, not less, then how does anyone think that these businesses can stay in business...they have to be profitable. I for one wouldn't have a problem paying ala carte, just as we basically do at home; if we want to use a service, see or do an activity, etc., we pay for it.

Kinda like NCL. There all copying there ways.

Those interested should read Orator's post #332 on the Activity Staff Reduction thread

And this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42578570

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Interesting. But one thing in life I learned is I do not go buy what they say but what they actually do. Time will tell. Believe it or not NCL has been very sucessful in getting people to spend more and I think cruise lines are going to copying them especially in the specialty restaurants. Your going to see more of them. Again time will tell.