Explorer of the Seas Updates

Hey All,

We are thinking about going on the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ on June 28. Looking at the website, it doesn't look like it has been updated in while. The T.V.s pictured are the old box sets, and not flat screen HD. I don't care much about this, but it's a good way to gauge how updated the ship is. Can anyone provide feedback on it?

Furthermore, anyone that has been on this ship in the past 2 years, can you tell me what you liked and disliked.

Thank you!

Hey All,

We are thinking about going on the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ on June 28. Looking at the website, it doesn't look like it has been updated in while. The T.V.s pictured are the old box sets, and not flat screen HD. I don't care much about this, but it's a good way to gauge how updated the ship is. Can anyone provide feedback on it?

Furthermore, anyone that has been on this ship in the past 2 years, can you tell me what you liked and disliked.

Thank you!

Explorer won't have it's major dry dock until early next year.

We were on Explorer twice last year and thought the public areas were in excellent shape.

The public areas are in very good shape. Some staterooms will still have the old CRT TVs, especially if you're in the ghetto on Deck 2 like I was. :)

The best part of the ship is the staff--a really outstanding team of service providers!

I was on EOS 3/10/14 for a 10 night, one of my favorite ships, I have been on it 8 times. We are diamond plus so we have cruises before, Some flat screens have been installed, I thought it looked better this year than it did last year, they keep updating things during port days, they have pushed back the dry dock until 2015, I have been in a GS this cruise and my parents were in JS both were great. Food was better this year as well, we were concerned, last couple of years it declined. You will enjoy the EOS, Worst part of cruise besides the end is pier set up for drop off and departures, they are building new terminal for arrival of quantum.

Cruising is an addiction, I am an addict. Darn proud of it

I just debarked the Explorer this past Saturday. I agree with prior posters, she's in great shape considering her age, a wonderful ship & crew. Overlook minor wear & tear and have a fabulous cruise!

Some of the cabins have tube TVs and some have flat screen.

Here's a picture of one of our JS cabins last week (it had a flat screen):

cruise4-2014576.jpg

I didn't know it had Junior Suites. I thought it was just Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, and Suite.

Explorer also has Promenade staterooms.

Click on each of the categories on this link to see all the stateroom sypes:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/home.do?br=R&shipCode=EX&shipName=Explorer+Of+The+Seas

I just sailed Ex a few weeks ago. Before I left I saw posts about her going into dry dock, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought the ship was beautiful, and I'm not sure what "updates" are to be done. My Deck 2 cabin had a flat screen tv (not something I really care about, but I got to watch some goofy old movies on TCM when we were forging through a storm and I didn't want to venture to the higher decks ;))

Hey All,

Thank you!

1. Drydock will be in March 2015.

2. Never go by the pictures on the website. They are "stock" photos and not specific to that ship, or even particularly current.

3. TVs are being replaced with flatscreens as they die, not as part of a deck-by-deck or category-by-category program.

4. I just spent two weeks on her in March. She was also our very first ship. I have enjoyed every day of my five cruises on her.

5. Of course Explorer has Junior Suites. Why would you think that she didn't? :confused: Of all the cabin categories on all the ships in the fleet, EVERY ship has Junior Suites.

Edited by Merion_Mom

We also just got off EOS last Saturday. This is our Third time on this ship and it just keeps getting better. For an older ship, they maintain her very well. She is beautifully decorated and very clean. I saw new carpeting in many areas and the furniture in the lounge areas seemed newer than when we were on back in February 2013. Solid crew/staff members, not to mention friendly and helpful. The food in the MDR was better this time than last time in terms of more selection. Every single staff/crew that we came in contact with made a point to say hello or at least nod and smile if we were just walking by. Our stateroom attendant was wonderful as well. I swear they have radar :) These folks work hard and work a lot of long hours and always manage to have a smile on their faces. We have just committed to Royal as our go to line. You won't be disappointed.

My daughter and I sailed in a Prom cabin in Jan. 2012, it was terrific (see link to my review in my sig line below).

For even more current descriptions (and lots of photos!) of the Explorer, come visit my ongoing (Not) Live From... thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028938

This was from the 3/21-3/28 sailing, in which I cruised solo in a balcony cabin... my daughter sailed, too, sharing a balcony cabin with her bf Tom. It was a great cruise! In my experience, the food and entertainment was among the best in several cruises that I have taken.

What can you tell me about the Promenade staterooms?

Close your drapes when you want privacy.

Sage advice! We have used promenade staterooms several times and find them a nicer alternative than a windowless inside for what is still a good price, usually. The bay window and window seat are a nice feature, and the view of the promenade can be fun. You may hear some noise at times, depending on which deck you are on. I would typically go with a higher deck (7 or 8, and avoid 6). You will hear noise late at night during the parades and entertainment on theme nights, such at 70s night. We prefer to avoid the ones with connecting doors, but others have reported hearing no noise through these. We did the one time we had one, and though it probably depends on your neighbors, we'd rather avoid the issue altogether.

I've been happy to see so many positive reviews on Explorer recently. Overwhelmingly positive in fact. We will be sailing with her for the 3rd time in a few weeks, but haven't seen her for a few years. Can't wait!!