Getaway Bartender "Bong"

kenoqueen

I asked him that on our recent cruise. He said following his vacation he will be returning to the Getaway. He is the only one (at this point) who can handle the Sugarcane Mojito Bar basically full time. The drinks take a long time to make, and are much more complicated than other mixed drinks. I think they need him. Ha! He said at one point they had considered offering all the various mojitos from Sugarcane in the other Getaway bars, but that idea quickly was thrown out because they couldn't guarantee consistency and quality. In the other bars you can get just a regular mojito.

He also mentioned that the Sugarcane bar has been rated the #1 bar on all NCL ships every week since Getaway first sailed (based on comment cards, etc.) He also gets to have dinner with the Captain every single week for being employee of the week. No one else has ever won.

Thank you SO much, that was definitely what we wanted to know. He is so awesome at what he does. He mentioned to us last year that so many people had given him hero cards that when they would do the drawings it was always his name and he had won many of the employee awards on the Sun and fleet wide. He deserves all the rewards he gets, he goes over and above for every customer! We were so disappointed to hear that he may have been going to another ship after his vacation as we are going on the Getaway on the fall. :) Hope you had a great cruise! I started reading your fantastic dining tips. Thanks so much for writing them and replying to this thread!

Edited by Bonbi

Thank you SO much, that was definitely what we wanted to know. He is so awesome at what he does. He mentioned to us last year that so many people had given him hero cards that when they would do the drawings it was always his name and he had won many of the employee awards on the Sun and fleet wide. He deserves all the rewards he gets, he goes over and above for every customer! We were so disappointed to hear that he may have been going to another ship after his vacation as we are going on the Getaway on the fall. :) Hope you had a great cruise! I started reading your fantastic dining tips. Thanks so much for writing them and replying to this thread!

You're very welcome. What a nice post. :-)

Just got off Getaway today. Spent almost every night at Sugarcane's. Bong is one of the most entertaining and professional bartenders I have had the pleasure of meeting. Had Haven Spa Suite #14138. We had the dreaded pole in front of the spa tub. The first 2 days I think I ran into that damn thing 3 times when I would get up in the middle of the night...lol

Just an interesting tidbit... The wonderful bartender Bong on Getaway told me that the "opening" of the Getaway has been more successful than the opening of the Breakaway in NCL's eyes. He said that for Breakaway, they put all of their A+ top staff on that ship for it's opening couple sailings to train others, and then moved most of those top A+ people right back to other ship assignments, leaving a crew of mostly C's. He said that service was very poor for a while after that. He said NCL learned from that. For Getaway, instead of loading the ship with all the very top best people in all positions, they brought just a few top people on in key positions. Most the crew was put on the ship to stay on the ship. He said it has made the overall service much better.

I have no clue how accurate this is, but it would seem to make sense.

Just an interesting tidbit... The wonderful bartender Bong on Getaway told me that the "opening" of the Getaway has been more successful than the opening of the Breakaway in NCL's eyes. He said that for Breakaway, they put all of their A+ top staff on that ship for it's opening couple sailings to train others, and then moved most of those top A+ people right back to other ship assignments, leaving a crew of mostly C's. He said that service was very poor for a while after that. He said NCL learned from that. For Getaway, instead of loading the ship with all the very top best people in all positions, they brought just a few top people on in key positions. Most the crew was put on the ship to stay on the ship. He said it has made the overall service much better.

I have no clue how accurate this is, but it would seem to make sense.

My guess is those same people will be moved to the Escape after the TA.

• 1 month later...
Am I understanding correctly that Bong is still on the Getaway. We are sailing in about 60 days and hope he is going to be on it. He is such a genuinely fun guy. He deserves every employee of the month award he gets.

kenoqueen,We were on the July 19th Getaway sailing and was told that Bong had signed off two weeks before:( Hopeful that he will be back onboard on October 25th cruise:) I don't know how long he gets for vacation between contracts.Pink

Am I understanding correctly that Bong is still on the Getaway. We are sailing in about 60 days and hope he is going to be on it. He is such a genuinely fun guy. He deserves every employee of the month award he gets.

Kenoqueen, we are on the same cruise and after reading all of these posts I am really hoping he is there and I get to meet him.

After continuing to read such positive comments about bartender Bong, I truly hope that I get to experience his 'bar magic' on a future cruise.

I'm doing Norwegian Getaway in December, so if he does return to that ship, that will be possible . . . and I'm certain to enjoy. :)

Bartender Lorelei (Shakers) from Epic is transfering to the Getaway around that time too. She's good fun!

I met Lorelie on Norwegian EPIC this past February, and immediately became a huge fan of her and her skills. She was superb in so many ways, and I was excited when she advised she'd be onboard Norwegian Getaway in December during my sailing.

Via social media she's advised that will still be the case. No clue which bar she'll be assigned to, but I will find out for sure, and quickly. :)

Just an interesting tidbit... The wonderful bartender Bong on Getaway told me that the "opening" of the Getaway has been more successful than the opening of the Breakaway in NCL's eyes. He said that for Breakaway, they put all of their A+ top staff on that ship for it's opening couple sailings to train others, and then moved most of those top A+ people right back to other ship assignments, leaving a crew of mostly C's. He said that service was very poor for a while after that.

I think I met every C during my Norwegian Breakaway week, and one terrific A.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked him that on our recent cruise. He said following his vacation he will be returning to the Getaway. He is the only one (at this point) who can handle the Sugarcane Mojito Bar basically full time. The drinks take a long time to make, and are much more complicated than other mixed drinks. I think they need him. Ha! He said at one point they had considered offering all the various mojitos from Sugarcane in the other Getaway bars, but that idea quickly was thrown out because they couldn't guarantee consistency and quality. In the other bars you can get just a regular mojito.

He also mentioned that the Sugarcane bar has been rated the #1 bar on all NCL ships every week since Getaway first sailed (based on comment cards, etc.) He also gets to have dinner with the Captain every single week for being employee of the week. No one else has ever won.

What a great story! We love Bong!!

Anyone know how long Bongs vacation is? I'm on the Getaway again ( met him on Feb sailing) on Sept 6 and am hoping he will be there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think someone said he would be back Oct. 25th. I'd love to hear from you when you get back with an update on him. We really hope he's there on our oct. 11th cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Kenoqueen, we are on the same cruise and after reading all of these posts I am really hoping he is there and I get to meet him.

I got an update on another post and Bong is back on the Getaway. I'm sure you'll find him very entertaining. He's one of our favorites!

• 4 weeks later...
Say it isn't so. :( We were so excited to hear he was on the getaway. If anyone hears where he's going to next, I'd love to know. That just may be our next ship.

Sailed on the Getaway 10/4-10/11 and Bong was still at the mojito bar. Amazing guy and bartender!