Getaway Bartender "Bong"

kenoqueen

For anyone sailing soon on the Getaway, I think I recently read the bartender in the Mojito bar is "Bong". Will someone be kind enough to pop in there on your upcoming cruise and ask him if he'll still be there for the October 11,2014 sailing?

Last year my husband and I sailed on the Sun and "Bong" was a bartender there. He is a funny guy and really "made" our trip. We'd love to see him again. We emailed him but haven't heard back.

Thank you in advance!

For anyone sailing soon on the Getaway, I think I recently read the bartender in the Mojito bar is "Bong". Will someone be kind enough to pop in there on your upcoming cruise and ask him if he'll still be there for the October 11,2014 sailing?

Last year my husband and I sailed on the Sun and "Bong" was a bartender there. He is a funny guy and really "made" our trip. We'd love to see him again. We emailed him but haven't heard back.

Thank you in advance!

Bong is leaving in July. His contract is up then. He was not sure which ship he is going to next.

We also met Bong on the Sun and it was a very happy surprise to see him in the Mojito Bar on the Getaway on embarkation day. He is so much fun. If his contract is up, he may be spending several weeks wherever home is. We would like to keep track of him too. It might be a deciding factor in choosing a cruise.

You'd need to meet him to understand LOL His name is Jonathan. Bong is a nickname. Totally fits him though ;)

This is 100% true. I've now had the pleasure of sailing with him on the Dawn, Sun, and Getaway and he is lots of fun. I hope our paths cross again in the future!

We have sailed with Bong 3 times in the past and he is awesome! We don't even normally go to the bars but we were gifted a soda card on our first cruise with him and have sought him out on cruises since. He is one of our all time favorite crew members.

We actually partially booked our Getaway cruise this year because on our last cruise with him he told us that was where he was going. Sad to hear he may be leaving in July. We have emailed him also a few months ago but haven't heard back from him.

Sorry I can't be of any help with the whereabouts of "Bong" but I just had to open this thread to try and understand what the title was about...somehow thought that maybe all the bartenders were supplied with "bongs" :)

We too had a blast with Bong on the Sun! This was actually the first time I've ever really hung out at a bar instead of on deck - he was just fun to be around!

I would consider as a factor in deciding between two ships which one has Bong!

We just found out that some relatives (not close ones) were on the inaugural sailing of Getaway from Miami. They just heard that we are going soon and sent a message, "Be sure to meet the bartender Bong!!" Haha.

Thanks Jim.

Looks familiar .... but we have hit so many bars on so many cruises!! ;)

Will look out for him ...

You would remember him always doing magic tricks with his lemon napkin rat running around the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

My partner is also from the Philippines, but could offer me no meaning of the nickname, so I'm thinking its a phonetic thing. Often a lot gets lost in translation. My Ilocano wife thinks it is hilarious that Merle Haggerd is "Proud to be an okie"

My partner is also from the Philippines, but could offer me no meaning of the nickname, so I'm thinking its a phonetic thing. Often a lot gets lost in translation. My Ilocano wife thinks it is hilarious that Merle Haggerd is "Proud to be an okie"

No worse than being a "Hoosier"!:D. Or a "Hillbilly"!;.)

Checking the internet, I see that nicknames are a big deal for Filipinos. Some of them have "doorbell" names like Bing, Bong, Ding, Dong, Ting or Tong! I will have to pay more attention to names on our future cruises!

Edited by punkincc

Yes, Jonathan is on the Getaway and will be until the 26th of July. I've heard that he will be back on same ship after vacation but that isn't confirmed by him yet.

As far as his nickname... it's not what you're thinking. Apparently it is well known in the Philippines and "Bong" was a famous actor there. That is what he told me.

He works very hard, but he's amazingly talented and caring and funny. We've sailed 3 times with him and are planing on going again in July.

1925424214_mymahal.jpg.e8649a3506519a802f978f7ee01a2316.jpg

Yes, Jonathan is on the Getaway and will be until the 26th of July. I've heard that he will be back on same ship after vacation but that isn't confirmed by him yet.

As far as his nickname... it's not what you're thinking. Apparently it is well known in the Philippines and "Bong" was a famous actor there. That is what he told me.

He works very hard, but he's amazingly talented and caring and funny. We've sailed 3 times with him and are planing on going again in July.

We completely agree!!

He told us something similar about his nickname and he called himself the Filipino Tom Cruise. haha ;)

Here's a pic of Bong from a 2012 cruise we were on.

bong.jpg.1ba3a6b6e2c51cd3ec3f49693643b753.jpg

Edited by SchuppCruise

• 1 month later...
You would remember him always doing magic tricks with his lemon napkin rat running around the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I remember Bong he is very entertaining. I met him on the Sun first week of December. he got off the ship the day we did. Now he will be getting off of the Getaway the same day as us:eek: I hope he still has his "rat" with him;)Pink

I remember Bong he is very entertaining. I met him on the Sun first week of December. he got off the ship the day we did. Now he will be getting off of the Getaway the same day as us:eek: I hope he still has his "rat" with him;)Pink

If no one reports before you, would you please ask him if he will be returning to the Getaway or where he will be going?

If no one reports before you, would you please ask him if he will be returning to the Getaway or where he will be going?

I asked him that on our recent cruise. He said following his vacation he will be returning to the Getaway. He is the only one (at this point) who can handle the Sugarcane Mojito Bar basically full time. The drinks take a long time to make, and are much more complicated than other mixed drinks. I think they need him. Ha! He said at one point they had considered offering all the various mojitos from Sugarcane in the other Getaway bars, but that idea quickly was thrown out because they couldn't guarantee consistency and quality. In the other bars you can get just a regular mojito.

He also mentioned that the Sugarcane bar has been rated the #1 bar on all NCL ships every week since Getaway first sailed (based on comment cards, etc.) He also gets to have dinner with the Captain every single week for being employee of the week. No one else has ever won.