what to squeeze in with 1.25 days in rome?

sr5242

I'm traveling with someone who has never been to Europe and doesn't understand the need to have more time to explore. she is insisting we fly into rome just one day before our cruise (that is a compromise, as she originally was insisting we fly in the day of the cruise!)

But at this point unless I can beat her down we will arrive in rome around 10 am and our cruise is the next day.

we are staying at albergo del senato so very central to everything

can anyone help to create a schedule for that day and perhaps the next morning (which unfortunately is a sunday)

what I am thinking is a late afternoon ticket to the Vatican, followed by a rome by night tour (such as through romecabs) including the trevi fountain

and visiting the colosseum first thing sunday AM and then leaving hotel for cruise port?

thanks in advance

I'm traveling with someone who has never been to Europe and doesn't understand the need to have more time to explore. she is insisting we fly into rome just one day before our cruise (that is a compromise, as she originally was insisting we fly in the day of the cruise!)

But at this point unless I can beat her down we will arrive in rome around 10 am and our cruise is the next day.

we are staying at albergo del senato so very central to everything

can anyone help to create a schedule for that day and perhaps the next morning (which unfortunately is a sunday)

what I am thinking is a late afternoon ticket to the Vatican, followed by a rome by night tour (such as through romecabs) including the trevi fountain

and visiting the colosseum first thing sunday AM and then leaving hotel for cruise port?

thanks in advance

Goodness -- I can't believe someone would WANT to fly in the day the cruise is leaving; it's not generally a smart plan. But at least you have a day...

If you are intent on seeing the Vatican museum and the Sistine chapel, you'll have to go in the afternoon on Saturday, which isn't ideal with jet lag. Don't make the reservation too late. It takes a while to get around the museum and they shoo you out pretty quickly when it's closing time...

There's no real need to take an evening "tour" of Rome. With your location, you're already at ground zero. Take a look at one of Rick Steves' Rome or Italy books -- he has a good, self-guided walking tour that takes in the central sights: Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc.

Be aware that the Pantheon closes its doors around 7pm at night. If you miss seeing the interior on Saturday, be sure to step inside and view it on Sunday. Then again, the Pantheon is usually my first stop when I'm staying at Albergo del Senato. It's where I do my "Yes!!! I'm back in Rome!" mental happy dance every time....;)

What time does your ship depart on Sunday, and how are you getting there? I've often stayed in Rome long enough for a full morning of sightseeing plus lunch before heading to the ship -- that's with a usual departure time of 7pm. However, some ships leave earlier. If you have a full morning, you might want to see either the Roman Forum or Palatine Hill, since your Colosseum ticket includes these sites as well.

Thanks

How do u usually get to the ship? And what time do u get picked up and actually get on ship?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I am traveling by myself, I usually take the train. Last time, I believe I took one that left Rome around 2pm and I was onboard the ship by 4pm.

When I traveled with my mom, I used Roma Shuttle, which is one of the more reasonably priced shuttle services. My parents have used them pretty recently; they are reliable.

You can pre-purchase your ticket for the Colosseum online. However, if you don't wish to do this I would advise going to the ticket office at the Forum to purchase your ticket - the ticket is valid for the Colosseum too.

I was there 3 Sundays ago and we went along to the foum at around 11.30 am and bought our tickets without having to stand in any line. We then walked down to the Colosseum where there were literally hundreds of people standing in line at the ticket office. Just go straight past all these people to the turnstyles which let you into the arena.

You can then double back to the Forum/Palantine if you wish to explore them too.