Evening/dinner/ship clothing????

lasnev

We sailed the Pearl a couple of years ago. As was said, very laid back and if you do not want to schlepp those evening clothes, don't. Very few people will be wearing them. In fact, I wore my nicest flannel shirts most nights for dinner. It's what I'm comfortable in and most others wore what they felt comfortable in.

As for hot tubs, They have the same as most ships, 4 on the pool deck. after that, I'm not sure as we never used them. It's not our thing to share a hot tub with 16 other people.

Cheers

Len

What I meant is : Do you need a Parka? If so down feather jacket or just a raincoat?

Thanks again!

You don't need a down parka. You want to be able to layer your clothing. A long sleeved shirt, a fleece jacket and a waterproof/breathable raincoat. That gives you the ability to add or subtract layers depending on your comfort level.

Yes, forget the parka. several layers does the trick. Depending on where you are from, either a warm weather climate or cold weather, might shed some more light on what you might need. Our first time, we brought mittens and hats, and only wore them when close to the glaciers. Second time we left them home, as it really wasn't that cold. (we felt that way, anyway) But, if you are from a warm weather climate, you would probably want them with you.

Cheers

Len

I am curious as well about apparel while onboard.

Our previous cruises have been Caribbean and we acknowledge recommended ship attire.

I was wondering if you have found fellow cruisers to be dressed more casually?

I assume that the ship temps are the same regardless of the itinerary .

We are only in planning stages and this one may be on HAL

Thank you.

Appears DH has chosen Princess for our first Alaska cruise.

We are planning a land/cruise and you can imagine my anxiety with packing. I have no clue what is recommended for land tours, probably June or July.

Next comes the question on fitting proper dining clothes in the luggage as well.

Your input is greatly appreciated and fast 😄

July, 2015 will also be our first cruise to Alaska. We have also booked with Princess. I read some great information (anyway I thought so) about packing somewhere on this sight where they suggested packing one suitcase for the land tour and another for the cruise and sending the cruise bag on to "Meet Me on the Ship". My husband and I are hoping we can get land tour clothing for both of us in one bag and Cruise clothing for both in the other.

I am curious as well about apparel while onboard.

Our previous cruises have been Caribbean and we acknowledge recommended ship attire.

I was wondering if you have found fellow cruisers to be dressed more casually?

I assume that the ship temps are the same regardless of the itinerary .

We are only in planning stages and this one may be on HAL

Thank you.

This was 10 years ago, but HAL wouldn't let you in MDR on formal dining nights unless you were dressed a certain way. I had to borrow a skirt and blouse from someone. You might want to post on HAL board to see if they are still strict in Alaska if this is an issue for you.

Layers: a must. I take several light layers and wear them all on glacier days, when I'm outside for hours. Last time I had a wool sweater, and I loved it. But it's not necessary. Also, knit hat and gloves are important.

Dress code: On Princess and Holland America, on formal night, as long as women have a skirt and blouse, dress, or nice pant suit, it's fine. Men can usually get away with dress slacks and a dress shirt. You will see people in tuxedos and evening gowns, but it's not necessary. NCL is even less formal than that, I've heard.

On casual days on Princess and Holland, I've gone in nice jeans and blouse and had no problem, though you might want to pack slacks to be on the safe side. Swimming suits and bathrobes won't make the cut. :)

If you are strapped for space, leave all those formal things home and opt for maybe a skirt and blouse. Really, why schlepp clothes you will wear once, dress, suits, shoes, when what you really need are more casual clothes. Alaska is very laid back and there is simply no need to dress up, just to 'fit in'. If that is your thing, then by all means go for it, but I gathered packing space is at a premium, so forget the formal wear and go for nice everyday stuff. No ship will deny you access to any dining room, as long as you are dressed presentably. The days of not being admitted because you aren't dressed up enough are long gone.

Cheers

Len

I am freaking out focusing on packing for our land trip portion of the cruise.

Do any of you ladies wear sandals on the ship during your Alaskan cruise or,find your toesies are too cold?

Trying so hard not to overpack

Thank you.

We cruised in late May of 2009 and hubby and I wore just a sweatshirt on our bright sunny day in Glacier Bay. Last summer in August, I had on mittens, earmuffs, multiple layers and was still freezing...it was rainy cold and damp I was glad I had everything just in case. Both of our Alaska trips were on Pearl and they are really quite casual so no real need for fancy clothes there were few if any on in August, hope that helps! Note about sandals, yes I had them yes I wore them and yes sometimes I wished for socks and sandals!:)

Tinykygal, that's exactly what I am talking about! Like away from the glaciers, is there a need of any summer clothing? As in short sleeves, light summer pants, sandals etc......

Lasnev, My DH and I are in the mindset of fall weather in KY as you can look at the temps.

I think that I am not thinking Caribbean on this cruise.

I find the theaters are freezing warm weather.

My wardrobe is either for hot or cold, but I suspect I will have a sweater or 2

A pair of convertible pants with zip off legs might work

I know what you are saying. I really don't want to over pack, but it's starting to look like we might need that extra suitcase.

We will probably be going from 110 degrees dry heat so it will be a relief even though not familiar with cool, wet conditions.

Tinykygal, that's exactly what I am talking about! Like away from the glaciers, is there a need of any summer clothing? As in short sleeves, light summer pants, sandals etc......

I usually go in late July or early August. I always take shorts and sandals and I always wear them. I typically take 2 pairs jeans/long pants, 2 pairs capris, and 2 pairs of shorts, all in neutral colors for easy mix and match. This works well for me, BUT I am from the Seattle area and used to mild weather. 60 is shorts weather for me. If you are from a hot climate, you may feel differently.

Do bring some short sleeves, just in case. When we went in 2009, there was a major heat wave. It was 80 most of the week, and many people were unprepared. We took the Yukon bus/rail excursion with Chilkoot charters and there was one woman on our tour who was wearing a turtleneck with a sweater over it. Don't know what she was thinking, as it had been hot for a few days straight. I could tell she was miserable. At Caribou Crossing, she took off the turtleneck and kept just the sweater (luckily lightweight) on, but she was still too hot. I was wearing shorts and a short sleeved blouse and I was hot! :eek: