Scissors? Scissors! I need some scissors! Cruisinetta builds again!

Spinner2

Well, model ship lovers, Cruisinetta's next building adventure has had an interesting start, I think. To begin with, the Veendam, a bit slow (it seems) coming out of dry dock, boarded very late in Fort Lauderdale on the 24th so that actual departure was really a few minutes into the 25th. I've heard some tales that Cruisinetta, tired of waiting around, began building her model in the cruise terminal during the wait, but I can't confirm that; the photo she sent me shows a suitable piece of "building material" (the cardboard drink carton) latched onto her carry-on and it looks intact at this point. You can see:

mean-a.jpg

Then I heard nothing from her until Saturday, April 26th:

Marney, progress for the Meandam has been slowed down due to NO scissors. I will get some tomorrow in San Juan and then I can build. Right now, the bottom is done, but can't do any more until I get some scissors. So I will send a pic tomorrow night.

Scissors? She has no scissors? Apparently not. Now I've been in San Juan, on a HAL cruise, on a Sunday, and found myself in dire need of a new swim suit; the one I'd worn on the beach in St. Maarten the day before had met an unfortunate end that we won't get into here :) and I planned to replace it in San Juan, but on Sundays in San Juan, nothing opens until church is over, about noon. So the fact that the Veendam wouldn't arrive today (Apr 27) until 1 pm isn't a big disaster; she'll only lose an hour of shopping-for-scissors time.

But she's not been idle; from the photo sent this morning, Sunday the 27th, she's built the bottom, constructed somehow without scissors, and Cruisinetta's started coloring in the edges of what will be other parts of the ship's sides while she waits for scissors. Those are on the corner of the bed as well.

Cruisinetta has mentioned that building these tiny models, and for those of you new to Cruisinetta's projects, this is truly a "tiny" ship, is much harder than building the big models--the ones that barely fit into the ship's jacuzzi. Who would have guessed?

So, here's where the model is for now, and the delay, as far as I know, has to do with waiting for the scissors. There's bound to be a story in there somewhere that we'll hear later, I hope, when she has a better internet connection.

Stick around for more later!

Mean1.JPG

Edited by Spinner2
I can't spell!

Lynn (Cruisinetta)'s post this afternoon is entitled "Ah scissors!" and as you'll see in the photo below, she did indeed fine some, and probably as easily as Sail suggested.

Here's the progress today, so far, and below it are the enlargements of two segments of the sides where the HAL brand is written and the name of this ship, "Meandam." I don't know anything about why the ship is named this, except that it rhymes with "Veendam."

mean2.jpg

And a couple of enlargements:

mean2a.jpg

mean2b.jpg

Cruisinetta will be so happy to hear that people are enjoying seeing her model come to life, so thanks for the nice comments. I'm pretty sure that this miniature will be a gift for her cabin steward, or other staff; she knows several staff persons aboard this time.

Thanks for posting the photos Spinner2. I wonder how can Lynn, after all these shipbuilding years, not have scissors? Boggles the mind.:D:D Maybe has something to do with waiting six or more hours to board. Oh wait.....did she leave them in the terminal? Was there a scissors theft?

Tell her I will be sure to bring scissors on our Oct TA.:)

Edited by Chelly

Thanks for posting the photos Spinner2. I wonder how can Lynn, after all these shipbuilding years, forget scissors? Boggles the mind.:D:D

Tell her I will be sure to bring scissors on our Oct TA.:)

I wonder if she only travels with a carry-on, and therefore is not allowed to carry a dangerous weapon on board her flights? :D:D

The scissors mystery! It's not Cruisinetta's habit to write much when she's onboard; she send the photos and a few words when needed. So when she gets back let's try to get a fun "scissors story" out of her.

I would have thought that some of the staff members she knows onboard wouldn't have been able to loan her some? But she may have known she could manage until San Juan and just solve it herself.

Chelly, was she working on the model in the terminal?

The scissors mystery! It's not Cruisinetta's habit to write much when she's onboard; she send the photos and a few words when needed. So when she gets back let's try to get a fun "scissors story" out of her.

I would have thought that some of the staff members she knows onboard wouldn't have been able to loan her some? But she may have known she could manage until San Juan and just solve it herself.

Chelly, was she working on the model in the terminal?

Yes Spinner, During Lynn's long wait in terminal she sent me an emails saying she had started on her shilbuilding to pass time. She sent me the same photo of the ice tea carton on her carry on. Take a look at the photo.It has been adapted to form the ship's hull. She customarily uses coke cartons for the hull. When I asked why ice tea not coke, she said "you make do with what you're given." I think she had her scissors out in the terminal and may have left them there. But, I think it would be fun to invent a story.....LOL!

Chelly's right; the hull of a Cruisinetta Ship is almost always made of soft drink cartons and for the really large ships getting enough of them has been a problem at times since whether it's a contest or not, she uses materials that she gets while on the trip. The ship would help her out, but for the most part their cans of soft drinks come aboard on pallets, not cartons of 10 cans or whatever.

I'd bet you're right; those scissors fell out of her gear in the terminal and weren't missed until after sail away. Let's hope for a good story though! :)

AND WHILE WE'RE CHATTING; while the thoughts I posted just above this line were new enough to still be in "edit" mode, another photo came over! Lynn says:

I sent this by cell phone because we have free cell phone service down here in Puerto Rico I'll send better pictures maybe tomorrow

mean3.jpg

The photo's not as good as what she usually sends; her regular camera is much better. I sharpened this one as best as I could.

Edited by Spinner2
New photo!

Is it at all possible that security confiscated her deadly :rolleyes: scissors prior to her boarding and then that led to her naming her newest ship “Meandam”? :confused:;)

Good idea, but she always has the names picked out well before sailing date.

I know this is her last cruise of the Caribbean season and she's unhappy about that, I don't know if that has anything to do with the name of not. :confused:

Answer to the scissors question, from Cruisinetta:

I always have a pair of scissors in all my luggage but for some reason the scissors did not make it in the suitcase this time just plain forgetfulness. I also did not have a straight edge with me I've been using a book for that. I've been doing a little of the MacGyver thing.

No more photos just yet. Today is a port day; Lynn just might be off having some fun.

BTW, I think she'll get her 500 Medallion this cruise!

Fun thread, Spinner. Thanks for sharing with us but

Why oh why would she want to name a ship "MeanDam"?

I cannot imagine a reason. :eek:

<snip>

Here's the progress today, so far, and below it are the enlargements of two segments of the sides where the HAL brand is written and the name of this ship, "Meandam." I don't know anything about why the ship is named this, except that it rhymes with "Veendam."

Excellent question, Sail!

And, as it happens, I got an answer just awhile ago as I asked Cruisinetta the same thing. First, here's her comment on how the ship looks after dry dock, and then she says that she was so sure that the results would be excellent that she named the ship accordingly:

As far is the Veendam goes man I have never seen a ship look prettier; it got a brand new coat of paint, all the carpet is new, brand new beds; it's just fabulous.

And now her plans for the name make sense:

After dry dock, the Veendam is a clean MEAN shipping machine.

Cruisinetta sent the next photo yesterday (Monday) but I couldn't get into Cruise Critic last night to post it.

From Cruisinetta:

Here is the latest pic of the Meandam. I think it will be finished Tuesday and I'll float it Wednesday

mean4.jpg

For Lynn, this is a really small ship that she's building. That's the top corner of the sofa it's sitting on.

Cruisinetta sent the next photo yesterday (Monday) but I couldn't get into Cruise Critic last night to post it.

From Cruisinetta:

mean4.jpg

For Lynn, this is a really small ship that she's building. That's the top corner of the sofa it's sitting on.

Looking good!

Done! Cruisinetta's posed the ship on a deck chair cushion for referencing size. When she builds ships of this size they are usually given to favored crew members; haven't heard the exact destination for this one.

Next photo, which came at the same time, sea trials. At 7:30 in the evening! Must be spring for sure, in the Caribbean.

Looking at it now, I think that brown curve on the right is the arm of the deck chair. I'll try to remove it and send the photo over again.

mean5.jpg

Doesn't it look jaunty and proud of itself, out on the big "ocean"?

If there's a "contest" there'd be news of a winner, etc. but my guess is that this is just Lynn's project and she's arranged to float it in the pool to show that it is indeed seaworthy. As hers always are!

meandam5.jpg

Here's a quick try at removing what I'm pretty sure is the deck chair armrest support from the "finished" photo that Cruisinetta sent.

mean5-rev.jpg

Nice work Lynn, and a superfast build. Now, what are you going to do with the remainder of your cruise?